IGNORED

Fitlet2 as HQplayer NAA

So, on recommendation of several respectable AS folks I bought a Fitlet2 (Intel NUC, Atom x7-e3950 with SFP+ port).  I have connected it to my Mikrotik CSS610 switch, using existing SFP modules and both single mode and multimode fiber.   I then boot up the unit into NAA using Jussi's USB image.  All seems well (I've used this image on my @lmitche-built NUC before, now a Roon server, and it worked very well).  I cannot, for the life of me, get HQPlayer to see this thing.  I've tried via SFP (Mikrotik webpage shows link at 1G, full duplex, flow controls on), via rj45 and yet neither show up via HQPlayer.  When I, instead, load the image on the previously mentioned NUC I use (normally) for a Roon server HQplayer sees it immediately and works just fine, thank you. 

Any ideas?  I know folks here have done it successfully but I am clearly missing something.  Any help is appreciated.  I may swap USB ports and try again.  Stay tuned.  Thx

Edit: swapping USB ports did nothing.  Argh!

NUC, fitlet2, HQP server and my Win7 desktop (typing this) are all connected to the Mikrotik, which hangs off a router (modem/router gateway) port.  All four have ip addresses 10.0.0.x (NUC is 7, fitlet2 is 229, Win7 desktop is 228, switch is 185, HQP server is 196) and all are DHCP.  I need to go find NAA sign in credentials to do lsusb.

I was able to ping Hqplayer server and it sent a line of 64 bytes of data ad nauseum times until I pulled the fiber cable out. 

I was able to run "enable networkaudiod" and then when I tried to "restart" it I got an error message saying

image.thumb.png.4e7e5e9eb1f475f967c9b2792a8317cf.png

When I tried installing usbutils I got the not found response, regardless of $ or not.

Jabbr,

I am not married to Jussi's image.  I bought this fitlet2 from recommendations of folks like you...if you have a tried and true way to get my NAA up and running, let's chat offline PM.  Thx

We are crossing posts.  🙂  I will attempt to do the Mint upgrade (mine came with Mint, too) and go that route, and report back.  Once NAA is installed does it just boot up to an NAA or does it require a monitor or tightvnc type app to manage?

Oops, I have one more thing to confirm for this thread...whether this Intel fitlet2 can support 32fs on my Holo May.  All of this was done on the office setup (original Holo Spring KTE into Schitt Jot-R/RAAL system).  Now we bring all this down to the new audio room.  Stay tuned.

Also...a weirdism here.  Only my older multimode (aqua) fiber was able to communicate.  The newest fiber I bought, single mode (yellow) doesn't cut it.  ?  I will need to replace my single mode 15M run to the lower level (for later addtl fitlet2 to be my office NAA).   Nice that my old stuff works and I can use it. 

My SFPs are Finisar and Cisco. Right now I am using Cisco and aqua colored multimode LC-LC fiber, and all is well.  The single mode stuff I bought (kinda accidentally) could very well be used with different modules, and if I see the need to buy more I certainly will check the large optical networking threads for the right model numbers.  Until then I'll use the combo that worked a few years ago, and seems to work now.  Unless you guys say that my working multimode fiber is less than optimal...I'm all ears. This is way above my pay grade.

Jussi, I am sorry.  As a very long time NAA user I had never heard that before (about multiple ethernet ports).  If I go in to bios and am able to turn off the rest will it work?

Not yet, skipspence; I haven't figured out how to turn off rj45 ports, and now it's heading downstairs to main system.  First thing I'll test is 32fs w/ Holo May (using NAA on Mint).

1 hour ago, Miska said:

You'd be better off with HQPlayer OS functioning as a NAA than running Mint. Since Mint has bunch of unnecessary extra, such as graphical desktop and such.

@MiskaSo....how different is it to boot up an HQP OS vs an NAA OS?  Do I do the same thing (i.e etcher it onto a USB stick and then simply boot to USB) or once the OS is up do I need to do something to make it NAA only?  A link to a previous answer for this is fine, of course...thx

14 minutes ago, Miska said:

Same way, above I documented how to disable HQPlayer Embedded on it.

Ok, thanks.  So I will boot from USB and edit with your syntax above.  Question: do I need to edit each time I boot up the fitlet with the USB stick (not that I boot it up frequently, but power outages, etc etc)?  And if I am editing a filesystem (HQP OS) does this mean I have written over Linux Mint and can't dual boot, like I do with NAA OS?

@MiskaI seem to have an abrupt end to my music listening at around the 30 minute mark.  I then head to my desktop and check TightVNC (to my Win10 HQP server) to see if anything has changed.  Usually I need to reconnect to TightVNC and then look at HQPlayer settings; all is well.  And I can go back downstairs and listen again!  ??  Is this some remnant of the trial period in Hqplayerd on the HQP OS USB stick (something I thought I disabled through systemctl)?

Note:  I will set up an ipad VNC like Remote Ripple to get me from traipsing up and down the stairs for maintenance like this.

54 minutes ago, Miska said:

In HQPlayer Desktop title bar shows that it is registered to your name and not evaluation?

Any wireless networks involved?

No, it is not related to HQPlayer Embedded trial.

Yes, my Win10 HQP desktop is registered to me.  I was worried that the fitlet2 had hqplayerd still running and some sort of trial, but the monitor shows nothing special.

I was not aware the HQP OS had a control panel or high performance selections.  If you are referring to my HQP server (Win 10) that machine has been tweaked for years, and has run things like my RAAL office system 24/7 (previous to my main system being ready) with no stoppage.  There are no changes to that machine; the only things new are my NUC Roon server (Audiolinux) and the HQP OS NAA on the fitlet2.  All these boxes hang off the Mikrotik, which is new.  Not sure where the music stoppage is occurring...I will pay close attention tonight.