IGNORED

DAC as Preamp

Chris has written about DACs with a volume control that allows for eliminating the need for a preamp. I'd like to purchase a high quality DAC that will also allow me to use my turntable, a Squeezebox Touch or even an SACD player in addition to a Mac Mini.

I'm willing to continue using a phono pre, but I'm unclear on whether or not I can find a high quality DAC that will also allow me to use sources other than a computer.

It appears that the Metric Halo is the only product that would allow me to bypass my pre - can I do that with the Weiss DAC202 with a phono pre attached?

Thank you for your help.

Nick

Hi Nick - Your main issue with using the phono pre and a DAC with volume control is you almost certainly have to convert the analog signal to digital then back to analog for the DAC volume to function.

If you use a piece like the new Classe DAC/Pre I believe it has digital and pure analog paths then you will probably be alright.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I meant to say Theta Gen 8 - it has two analog inputs, but one is rca and one is xlr - so if SACD were balanced (xlr), and phono pre was unbalanced (rca) then this would also work. Another option is the Benchmark DAC/HDR - but it only has one set of analog inputs (rca) which obviously won't get you a phono pre and SACD (unless you only use the SACD player to play CD's, and then use it's digital out). Sure there are likely others out there. I'm pretty sure both of these keep the analog signals as is.

Scooter[br]iMac(iTunes) or Fidelity>Weiss INT202(FW)>Theta Gen VIII S2 (XLR)>Audio Research Ref 3>Theta Citadel>Thiel 3.7

Chris, per the comment below about Benchmark, I notice that the Grace 903 has analogue inputs. Is it right that the analogue inputs would bypass the digital conversion? On paper, it really looks like the Grace has a nice set of features.

Nick

I thought both units also functioned as analog mixers and have analog volume controls. I would think that no audio pro who loves analog would ever do some stupid A/D and D/A for volume control of analog.

Of course since I don't own any Metro Halo gear, I may be wrong.

Update: a little searching on the CA forum found this -

The volume control on the LIO8 is an analog device which is controlled via a digital command. The iPhone or iPad or and keyboard can send the digital command needed which is ctrl-opt-cmnd- up arrow or down arrow.

Does that help?

Steve

Steven Devino

http://www.graniterockslive.com

My understanding is that the RIAA curve is in the digital domain and that the signal goes A/D/A on the MH. The argument is that this is a curve that never varies. Some people on the forum report that when they convert their vinyl to high Rez, it sounds the same to them.

Perhaps Chris mentioned the Classe and the Theta was mentioned below because they are the two that can bypass the digital conversion.

Nick

Yes, the RIAA curve is in the digital domain. But if you're willing to use your phono-pre, then you would not use the digital RIAA curve in the MH. What you eliminate by using the ULN-8 or LIO-8 is your line preamp, selector switch and volume control and you avoid any A/D to D/A unnecessary conversions for analog. Of course this only makes sense if your phono-pre is superior to the digital alternative.

Hopefully the MH bears will confirm or elaborate.

Not sure what end of the budget you were looking at, but another alternative (lower down) is Audiolab's 8200CDQ (around £1000 GBP). Yes this a full CD player (not just DAC) but has high quality SPDIF and asynchronous USB inputs alongside full analogue pre-amp.

A DAC only version (no CD transport) maybe available later in the year.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Thanks, Eloise. The Audiolab looks like it could be a very nice product. I wonder if it would compete with the Benchmark or Grace 903. I've been all over the map from a budget standpoint - trying to understand where I would notice discernible differences in sound, mixed with feature set, and ease of use.

Nick

• 3 months later...

Remember, the Audiolab products are made in China, whereas something like the Grace is made in the US. Consider where you might want your money going these days... That said, the Audiolab does offer a lot for the money.

Personally, I would go for the Grace, as using Gordon Rankin's Async USB code is a big plus for me.

Back on topic, I have made some new observations regarding going amp direct in my system here:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/DAC-direct-amp-revisited

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio