IGNORED

Bit perfect software changing sound. How?

12 minutes ago, Racerxnet said:

I'd suggest that you are the one with fairy dust at the end of a rainbow, looking for a pot of gold. This is a objective forum, show proof or take it elsewhere. You deleted my reply like a wimp with no credible evidence. They pushed March Audio out on the other thread. Provide evidence on the software you are supporting. 

Well you were building upon a claim by @Currawong and putting blame on the developer with your narrative skewing. The dev never claimed the software to do defragmentation and there is no evidence for the software to be doing defragmentation. Your post might have been worthy elsewhere but it is off topic and misleading in this topic with an irrelevant and flawed base so there's nothing wrong in me deleting it.

And here you make an abusive remark on me. (Calling me a wimp).

13 minutes ago, idiot_savant said:

and then have to keep plugging and unplugging screens etc whenever I want to switch tasks?

Apologies, I only now see the context (Manuel's post) ...

RDC man, RDC !

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

10 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

That could be correct. And I say this genuinely because give me a new 6 months and something new will have emerged improving again (eh, vastly). This can only happen if boatloads are still present.

Btw, I am going to invest constellations (which btw is true for noise source that may let computers fail (falling stars)).

I'm afraid you must help me on that one. What do you mean ?

OK, you mean the playback PC itself, right ? well, because everything else is worse ? (I recall to be a first with "network player" experiments instead of CDP, although Squeezebox was there too at the same time.

Not that money is telling, but I came from a Teac P1 transport. And mind you, people these days are still claiming CDP transports to sound better than PC's. But then people also try to tell that Vinyl is the way to go.

Nobody said it is easy and in fact I claim (all over the place) that it is mighty difficult to let sound digital right (as in: surpasses vinyl by many audio miles).  One thing: where needed I /Phasure can supply the whole shebang. But this thread is not about that.

Does the footprint of the CDP reduce the inherent noise vs a computer?  Can the reduction of processing power and ARM help in our quest for better playback. 

12 minutes ago, March Audio said:

So considering that pretty much all audio recordings are made with computers these days I suppose you think that the quality is stuffed before we replay it at home?

Depends on how the computer is optimized (both physically, power supplies, pcie to usb/audio out cards and their clocks etc, and software wise). How the DAW code is written and what it does. I've heard good references of sq of DAW like Steinberg Wavelab but that's another topic.

11 minutes ago, Racerxnet said:

I'd suggest that you are the one with fairy dust at the end of a rainbow, looking for a pot of gold. This is a objective forum, show proof or take it elsewhere. You deleted my reply like a wimp with no credible evidence. They pushed March Audio out on the other thread. Provide evidence on the software you are supporting. 

These two clowns are just trying to disrupt the thread.  We have had to endure pages of unsubstantiated speculation, zero evidence or explanations.  Circular diversionary irrelevant argument.

We have also had ad hominem attacks and foul language. They are trying to be provocative so just don't rise to it.

Just make a complaint to Chris.

17 minutes ago, idiot_savant said:

Or is it better to create loads of alleged problems with "access noise" for myself, and then have to keep plugging and unplugging screens etc whenever I want to switch tasks?

Different strokes for different folks. I see more value in a 3000$ PC that I could use for data crunching and one that I could just turn into an audio transport of acceptably low noise when I want to listen to music (if I'm critically listening then I'm unlikely to be doing any other task, but that's me).

4 minutes ago, manueljenkin said:

Well you were building upon a claim by @Currawong and putting blame on the developer with your narrative skewing. The dev never claimed the software to do defragmentation and there is no evidence for the software to be doing defragmentation. Your post might have been worthy elsewhere but it is off topic and misleading in this topic with an irrelevant and flawed base so there's nothing wrong in me deleting it.

And here you make an abusive remark on me. (Calling me a wimp).

I never claimed the software was defragging per say, just stating the fact that defragging is not nessecary for a SSD. What we are trying to find out, is what is the software actually does and how it is improving the playback based on your claims. You don't seem to have any plausible explaination based on science. 

2 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

RDC man, RDC !

RDC? Is that some kind of remote desktop ( like RDP? ) Frankly, I find those things extremely unsatisfactory.

As for the 705600 bit stereo, that's 5.6Mbytes/sec - still somewhat smaller than the 2GBytes/s of "accesses" in my example

And isn't all this "noise" transferred mysteriously via EMC or RF? So this PC with a screen can't be in the listening room?

your friendly neighbourhood idiot

Just now, manueljenkin said:

Depends on how the computer is optimized (both physically, power supplies, pcie to usb/audio out cards and their clocks etc, and software wise). How the DAW code is written and what it does. I've heard good references of sq of DAW like Steinberg Wavelab but that's another topic.

Studios pay no attention whatsoever to the issues you have been claiming are so problematic.  

So how much disc access do you think is going on when recording 32 tracks at 92/24?

It must ruin the sound quality 😉

14 minutes ago, March Audio said:

I suppose you think that the quality is stuffed before we replay it at home?

Erm, I'm afraid, Yes. Here, this could be a good read and don't hesitate to learn something from the mastering engineers in there.

Btw, the pictures have vanished, so I'll show you in here what this is about:

image.png.aeb822f1eba1eb824c01be34f7995711.png

image.png.8714437ea260752cd5922743b33fbbee.png

including washing machine noise. :-)

You wont be able to distinguish the recording of this from the real thing, which obviously can be listened to over here subsequently. This includes the feel in the stomach of mainly the kick drum.

XXHighEnd (developer)

1 minute ago, manueljenkin said:

Different strokes for different folks. I see more value in a 3000$ PC that I could use for data crunching and one that I could just turn into an audio transport of acceptably low noise when I want to listen to music (if I'm critically listening then I'm unlikely to be doing any other task, but that's me).

How do you tame all the noise from the onboard switching power supplys from the MB manufacturer. 

8 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

You wont be able to distinguish the recording of this from the real thing, which obviously can be listened to over here subsequently. This includes the feel in the stomach of mainly the kick drum.

Are you suggesting they are playing while the washer and dryer are running? Those items are effecting the sound? If so, that scenario is so far removed from reality in a recording studio, that it makes no sense.l

6 minutes ago, idiot_savant said:

RDC? Is that some kind of remote desktop ( like RDP? ) Frankly, I find those things extremely unsatisfactory.

Maybe you like Zoom better. Or Teams. Hahaha.

I really wouldn't know what's unsatisfactory about it. I'm using it the whole day long. OK, not today - today I am wasting my time on some (certainly not you). Audio dev machine is downstairs (basement) somewhere - no screen. Audio PC is in the room - no screen. Office PC's are in the office - screen Yes. Customer's machines, all WTS/Citrix. No screens obviously.

And I ? I am siting behind a small wall of over 2meters of screen. This here, that there, Alt-Tab such, audio sniff mweh.

10 minutes ago, idiot_savant said:

And isn't all this "noise" transferred mysteriously via EMC or RF?

It is. I mentioned cables and I mentioned shields. And those too came from my hands (partly inspired by members of this forum, greatly inspired by people who were inspired by John Swenson's ideas (which are quite 100% the same as mine - about noise).

What I did was making the ^ cables configurable. Of course certain people will debunk that in this thread, but you could also envision a reason for 2K+ people using them by now.

You know your stuff ...

XXHighEnd (developer)

9 minutes ago, Racerxnet said:

Are you suggesting they are playing while the washer and dryer are running?

Of course not. That was making fun.

XXHighEnd (developer)

22 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Erm, I'm afraid, Yes. Here, this could be a good read and don't hesitate to learn something from the mastering engineers in there.

Btw, the pictures have vanished, so I'll show you in here what this is about:

image.png.aeb822f1eba1eb824c01be34f7995711.png

image.png.8714437ea260752cd5922743b33fbbee.png

including washing machine noise. :-)

I'm lost.  You show pictures of clearly a totally amateur studio in someone's loft trying to make some kind of point? 

You are not making any sense.

17 minutes ago, Racerxnet said:

How do you tame all the noise from the onboard switching power supplys from the MB manufacturer. 

You can't. But we must wonder whether it is about those. I have no real evidence of that. And people over at Phasure really tried in this realm (in vain, if you'd ask me).

But the audio playing PC itself and its main (Linear) PSU are of vast importance. More important than a DAC these days.

XXHighEnd (developer)

1 minute ago, March Audio said:

I'm lost.  You show pictures of a totally amateur studio trying to make some kind of point? 

You are not making any sense.

How many times do I need to tell you that you have a comprehension problem. Just READ. And follow the link, of course. And again READ.

Your comprehension problem includes making up things in your mind. Now you saw an amateur studio ! Hey, spread the word !!

Since I am not banned, I give up. You are a total waste of everyone's time.

Have fun. Or better: good night. It must be late for you. bye.gif.fbd2203362644ae43d9611bc75b0d7a9.gif

XXHighEnd (developer)

9 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

It is. I mentioned cables and I mentioned shields. And those too came from my hands (partly inspired by members of this forum, greatly inspired by people who were inspired by John Swenson's ideas (which are quite 100% the same as mine - about noise).

What I did was making the ^ cables configurable. Of course certain people will debunk that in this thread, but you could also envision a reason for 2K+ people using them by now.

You know your stuff ...

So what RF spectrum analyser do you use to investigate the RF and EMI?  What probes?

2 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

You can't. But we must wonder whether it is about those. I have no real evidence of that. And people over at Phasure really tried in this realm (in vain, if you'd ask me).

But the audio playing PC itself and its main (Linear) PSU are of vast importance. More important than a DAC these days.

PC pcb design is generally very high level stuff (very large multi layer PCB), and the power supply design (regulators etc) is a very intricate thing as well (including the power delivery circuit inside the processors). I am not sure if it is the same SMPS we encounter with other generic devices (there's massive developments on this front on the low power area, and it has also been successfully expanded to certain areas in audio - my burson fun uses a SMPS that sounds very good). Certain ports can be an after thought in things like laptops but not sure if any such thing happens in workstations.

Of course an unclean power supply entering all these may leave residuals so improvement in any area will be worthwhile but power delivery system in pc motherboards isn't as bad as we could think.

10 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

How many times do I need to tell you that you have a comprehension problem. Just READ. And follow the link, of course. And again READ.

Your comprehension problem includes making up things in your mind. Now you saw an amateur studio ! Hey, spread the word !!

Since I am not banned, I give up. You are a total waste of everyone's time.

Have fun. Or better: good night. It must be late for you. bye.gif.fbd2203362644ae43d9611bc75b0d7a9.gif

Why would I waste my time with your links?  You haven't said anything vaguely relevant as of yet.

What was the point of your post? You just post pictures with no explanation.  It's like random nonsense just pours out of your head onto the screen.

Yep looked totally amateur to me.

9 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

But then we have Jcat and others claiming that if we power the USB card from its own supply, we have mitigated the gremlins. I'd like to have Maunueljenkin get back to the science behind the software. The Jepardy tune is running in the background. 

19 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Oh so noise from the ssd ruins the sound but noise from a dozen switching regulators is fine.

You are a comedian.

Can you explain why the main supply is a problem but the switching regulators that come after it are not?

Somewhat defeats the object of a linear main supply when its fed into multiple switching regulators don't you think?

4 minutes ago, March Audio said:

Oh so noise from the ssd ruins the sound but noise from a dozen switching regulators is fine.

You are a comedian.

Can you explain why the main supply is a problem but the switching regulators that come after it are not?

Somewhat defeats the object of a linear main supply when its fed into multiple switching regulators don't you think?

Then you have the CPU running at 3.7 to 5 GHZ. 

48 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Erm, I'm afraid, Yes. :

So why on earth are you wasting your time messing around with fantasy pc/code improvements when it's all been ruined in the recording studio because they didn't use an optimised pc with no disk access occurring and no monitor?