IGNORED

Audirvana Studio

33 minutes ago, SteveS1 said:

Unless I'm missing something, there doesn't seem to be anything much here for people who don't stream.

I agree that the Audirvana Studio experience is intended to merge the local library and streaming content into a single collection. That’s a huge benefit to streamers with local content, but less appealing to local-only or streaming-only users. 

It would be wise for Audirvana to consider offering local-only or streaming-only versions of Audirvana Studio at a discounted price. 

While the Facebook reveal described commitment to supporting version 3.5, I imagine that “support” will be limited to OS release compatibility for

the next 2-3 years. 

It’s difficult to continue to support 2 products, with a separate codebase, for the long term. 

20 minutes ago, RunHomeSlow said:

Subscribing is paying for something you don’t own, i don’t like that either.

I want, i pay, i own, i do what i want. When OS doesn’t work anymore you revert back and stay there with what you bought.

this update has to be massive, all bugs before solved + some improvements in sound and in look and possibilities to makes what we like in database vision…and not messing with all that was working in v3.5

Good software development requires continuous revenue, from both new user purchases and existing customer upgrades. As others have stated, purchased software has a limited lifespan of usefulness. If people posting to this thread want Audirvana to succeed, they’re silly to not want to pay for new features and enhancements. 

That license you “own” when you purchase software is worthless without the continued support of a developer to enhance and maintain the app thru future OS releases. Think of how many mobile apps you’ve purchased that no longer run on your current phone.  What value is there in “owning” those abandoned apps?

Every user who finds value in Audirvana wants the product to be maintained. And that’ll only happen by paying Damien every month, year, or every couple years.

Both Roon and HQP are apps that do different things at different price points… but I’ve found that Audirvana (currently) is a valuable product for me. I’d gladly purchase an upgrade to version 4.0 or pay a subscription. 

I require a music app for local and streaming music; it’s just as necessary as my DAC, amp, and headphones. If another product fits my needs better than Audirvana, then I’ll move to that. But It’s silly to think a one-time purchase now will continue to be of value for me for the next 3, 5, or 8 years. That’s why I’m looking forward to supporting the Audirvana development. 

I’m concerned that a) the remote app might not be released within the 30-day trial and b) reported issues won’t be corrected within the trial period. 

It’s a reasonable question to ask why AS (as a subscription-model app) wasn’t rolled out to existing 3.5 users in waves. And also… it seems as if the 30-day trial period isn’t going to be long enough to resolve issues that are high priority for a significant number of users. 

I understand that any user interface change requires an adjustment period, but I find the look/feel of AS to be far less pleasing than the simpler interface of 3.5. 

it would be fantastic for

the user to be able to better control the level of info that’s displayed on the artist screen, for example. The ability to hide all the streaming integration (and simply view all your library albums for an artist) would be appreciated. 

1 hour ago, fourstrings1891 said:

The new MusicBrainz functionality is also very glitchy. Suddenly AS shows metadata on my tracks that I have not asked for. See artist here, this is not how I have tagged them:

877301685_ScreenShot2021-05-18at12_37_53.thumb.png.3650c9d424e642761fda7d360aeeb5b1.png

But then with some reloading of the view and opening the folder in Finder, all tracks are suddenly displayed again how I tagged them:

1705011637_ScreenShot2021-05-18at12_38_44.thumb.png.785889cb80386d3ca805097b9a57d5e7.png

I don't want AS to override my own tagging. But maybe that's just a bug.

I’ve also found AS displaying musicbrainz album title (instead of my metadata title) to be inconsistent. 

This new “feature” of AS    displaying musicbrainz info instead of my embedded metadata is a concern for me. One week ago, I spoke in support of the AS subscription model. After 1 day of use, I think that any advantage of AS is completely overshadowed by its weird UI design decisions (and the dumb need to update track with a musicbrainz  tag). 

I intended to sign up for the $50 first-year subscription on June 15, but now I’m sure I’ll just stay with 3.5 for the time being. The odd design on AS, coupled with poor communication of technical changes prior to roll-out, means that I’m won’t be an AS customer at the subscription start.

Ok. I’m very satisfied with my purchase of Audirvana 3.5 less than 12 months ago, but the new subscription model has changed my appetite for paying more $$$ for a music player. AS has ambitions to be a more powerful music player than 3.5, and in doing so inches closer to Roon pricing territory. 

I’m interested in the local-streaming integration that AS is trying to accomplish; I just am

not happy with the UI decisions made (nor the issues experienced by others during the rollout). 

The Audirvana 3.5 vs Roon was an easier decision to make (if I was satisfied with the more limited feature set of Audirvava). But the AS subscription changes things. 

So… I’m thinking that a Roon 1.8 trial might be something I should consider. With Roon, I’d get local/streaming integration with an emphasis on music discovery, an intelligent radio option (not just the ability to play internet radio stations), a mobile control app, and support for my Bluesound endpoints. 

Can others share their experience with Roon 1.8 and why (apart from the higher cost compared to Audirvana 3.5) they decided on Audirvana?

46 minutes ago, jtm said:

What file format was it?

Flac?

I had run AS over my NAS folder with DSF files when I read about these metadata changes, but could not retrieve any changes in my files (yet).

This makes we wondering which file formats have been changed under which condition by AS...

Does same behaviour occurs for AIFF files then ...???

My DSF files had the musicbrainz metadata tag added.

The analyze process didn’t appear to go sequentially through each album. Instead, many of my albums had some tracks modified and some yet-to-be-modified. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Musicophile said:

Damien would have been smarter had he called this a public beta test or something around these lines instead of calling it a launch. 

Yeah. Had he done so I wouldn’t have installed AS on day 1… and I

wouldnt have begun a Roon trial last weekend. 

With a purchase model, I can understand the justification for some to be users of Roon and Audirvana. Not so sure I’ll be likely to subscribe to both.