IGNORED

EdgeRouter or EdgeSwitches

I have a number of reasons...all cynical and tongue-in-cheek...

• Because LPS's for cheap switches/routers are so much more meaningful
  • No one (that I know of) has claimed them to be "Audiophile"
  • Audiophiles want the cheapest switches/routers with the most expensive, esoteric SFP parts and optical cables
  • The Edge (Ubiquiti) products are not expensive enough

I could go on...

But back to reality:

It appears to me that the consensus is an optical isolation setup at your endpoint makes a difference...upstream parts do not matter nearly as much.  What parts you use to achieve the optical isolation are not as important as actually doing the isolation.

No one cares too much about networks just as a network.  Or they do care but are perfectly happy with consumer products.  I started a couple of threads that I hoped would lead to discussion about network robustness and prosumer networking equipment (Ubiquiti, MikroTik, etc..)... I received a couple of good comments and suggestions but they died with less than 10 comments each...half of which were mine thanking for the responses.

So unless you come back with comments about edge parts being the new big thing along with DBT tests and a bunch of your buddies agreeing...not too many people really care.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

^^

Well said.

While I am a proponent of LPSs and isolation generally (transformer or fiber-based), I am not so much a believer in consumer networking products and their functionality that when touched by 'audiophile' marketing-speak, price inflation and aesthetics will somehow morph them into greatness over their bland counterparts. I won't even touch Ethernet cables; not because I am a bona-fide skeptic, but because I neither know enough nor experimented enough to constructively comment or have experienced little-to-no meaningful effect when I did switch the few out for others.

My cynicism aside, I feel networking upstream and downstream is important. Equally or not, doesn't matter to me.   

• 4 weeks later...