IGNORED

A toast to PGGB, a heady brew of math and magic

2 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

With 16GB and 256 bit processing, on a Mac the longest track you can process without issue in reasonable time is 6 minutes long. Unfortunately, on a Mac there is no way to manage paging where you can increase the available virtual memory like one can in Windows, so it errors out when you run out of memory.

Converted.png

Times.png

On 8/20/2023 at 2:33 PM, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Your settings look all right with the defaults. It is a ESS based DAC, with a Min-phase sharp OS filter, not the ideal candidate for PGGB (defeating the OS filter or a linear phase very short (slow) filter would have been preferrable). Look forward to what you find.

Which DAC's are the ideal candidates for PGGB?

Did you process my longer tracks with 4 auto or 24 workers?

Optimal settings are 4 auto workers, but the tracks I converted used 2 workers, why  this  happen?

They sound better than the ones I converted with 2 workers, but with setting to 4 auto workers...

Your conversion:

[23-08-16 13:36:41] PGGB Version: 5.2.62, Date: 08-16-2023
[23-08-16 13:36:41] Processing with 256 bit precision
[23-08-16 13:36:41]     --------------------- 16-Aug-2023 13:36:41 -------------    
[23-08-16 13:36:41] Start processing \\?\D:\Downloads\To upsample\Test\MemoryPlayer\Samples\01. Liszt- Grosses Konzertsolo R 18, SW 176.flac
[23-08-16 13:36:41] Upsample by 4 to 768000
[23-08-16 13:36:41] Using optimal settings
[23-08-16 13:36:41] HF filter on for PCM: NS Optimal (Fixed/Minimal)
[23-08-16 13:36:42] Using 24 workers...

My conversion:

[23-08-08 11:57:05] PGGB Version: 5.2.53, Date: 04-15-2023
[23-08-08 11:57:05] Processing with 256 bit precision
[23-08-08 11:57:05]     --------------------- 08-Aug-2023 11:57:05 -------------   
[23-08-08 11:57:05] Start processing /Users/Parish/Desktop/Novos/HQP Pro/Vyacheslav Gryaznov - Russian Transcriptions (2018) [24-192]/11. On the Dnieper Suite (Arr. V. Gryaznov for Piano)- V. Bride's Dance.flac
[23-08-08 11:57:05] Upsample by 4 to 768000
[23-08-08 11:57:06] Using optimal settings
[23-08-08 11:57:06] HF filter on for PCM: NS Optimal (Fixed/Minimal)
[23-08-08 11:57:06] Using 2 workers...

BTW: Sounds as the maximal workers will sound always better?

On 8/23/2023 at 9:55 AM, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Purely based on the digital path (in the order):

1. A Chord DAC because the DAC is based on a similar philosophy and they bypass the first stage of PCM filtering, doing no harm to PGGB tracks.

2. An R2R DAC in NOS mode which can allow a sample rate of 16fS or higher

3. Sigma Delta DACs (that accept 8fS or higher rates), that either disable OS filters for PCM automatically or those where they can be disabled.

4. Sigma Delta DACs that accept 16fS or higher rates that may not allow you to disable the OS filter but they have a choice of filters to choose from, especially a short, linear filter or a very short min-phase filter with a very slow roll off.

The above needs to be taken in light of my post here.

https://ifi-audio.com/products/pro-idsd/ is in your list, I use also an iFi Diablo that uses the same TI BB chip than the Pro iDSD!

9 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

...Or of course, you have already listened and have arrived at a conclusion.

I  liked a lot PGGB sound, but my computer can't handle this software well.

After one month trying it, I converted less than 10 albuns, so sounds a nonsense I spend $1k with PGGB and more $5k for a new MBP ou Mac Studio for run it! 

For the same amount, is better I sell my Oppo and Diablo and buy a T+A DAC200, am I right?

P.S.: BTW, the Oppo Dac is the only one that I know, that used is sold at double it's new retail price...

My preference always was listen to PCM upsampled to DSD, now I'm listening to the album below several times (at least 6 times).

Each track I listen twice, the first one upsampled with PGGB optimal settings, and the second one, upsampled to 48k DSD256 / Sinc L / ASDM5ECv2 with HQPlayer Pro, the best combination for my taste and my Oppo DAC.

Both albums were upsampled to Wavpack and the tracks with PGGB are more or less double the sizes of DSD256. Maybe the ideal comparation should be PGGB X DSD512, but my MBP goes only to DSD256!

Tomorrow I will say which ones sound better!

PGGB.png

DSD256.png

On 8/27/2023 at 4:07 PM, MemoryPlayer said:

My preference always was listen to PCM upsampled to DSD, now I'm listening to the album below several times (at least 6 times).

Each track I listen twice, the first one upsampled with PGGB optimal settings, and the second one, upsampled to 48k DSD256 / Sinc L / ASDM5ECv2 with HQPlayer Pro, the best combination for my taste and my Oppo DAC.

Both albums were upsampled to Wavpack and the tracks with PGGB are more or less double the sizes of DSD256. Maybe the ideal comparation should be PGGB X DSD512, but my MBP goes only to DSD256!

Tomorrow I will say which ones sound better!

PGGB 256 sounds better than HQPD PCM upsampling, always.

More precise, linear, rounded and relaxed sound, with no traces of PCM digital sound.

Comparing PGGB with HQPD DSD upsampling my preference remains DSD. Always.

Even Audirvana Origin and Roon, both of them upsampling to DSD256 sound better than PGGB, I'm sorry but is my opinion after 4 days comparing the same tracks!!!

Both

32 minutes ago, MemoryPlayer said:

PGGB 256 sounds better than HQPD PCM upsampling, always.

More precise, linear, rounded and relaxed sound, with no traces of PCM digital sound.

I can't explain the reason, but both generated the same amount of data with WAV and AIFF, see tracks size! With wavpack sounds as HQPD compress more than PGGB!

PGGB 256.png

Sinc L  LNS15.png

AIFF.png

WAV.png

1 hour ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

1) When you say 'DSD upsampling' was your source track DSD or PCM or both?

2) What did you like about Roon or Audirvana with DSD upsampling?

Nothing to be sorry about, based on your DAC and your preferences, if that is what you like, that is what matters.

1) The same PCM tracks were used to compare!

2) I like the analog presentation of DSD upsample!

1 hour ago, kennyb123 said:

Can you share details on what leads you to prefer DSD scaling?

What kind of music did your test tracks represent? 

I listen only to classical music, most of them piano music.

For my taste DSD is more  musical, relaxed and I never feel fadigue. With PCM I stop to listen to music after a couple  of hours...

The tests were made with this stunning record:

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9247232--liszt-harmonies-poetiques

BTW, for music lovers try these labels: 

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/labels/1356/browse?format=3

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/labels/3696/browse?format=3

http://www.hunniarecords.com/DSD-Audio/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 12/17/2023 at 9:27 PM, davide256 said:

Audirvana

I'm curious to know why upsample to 64Bits if the DAC accept only 32Bits?

I also own a Audirvana Origin license...

Did you compare the same file upsampled to 32 and 64 bits?

BTW is there any available DAC that supports 64Bits input?

2 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Yes, that is not meant for direct play back to DAC but to enable further processing by other players (like DSP), this way the upsampled files can have a higher resolution and allow the player to process at 64 bits.

So, playing 64/768 sounds the same as 32/768?

8 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

@MemoryPlayer ...The only reason to keep them in 64bits in Audirvana would be to do EQ outside of PGGB. But if Audriana reads them as 32bit floats, then that would lead to truncation. 

If I want EQ outside with HQPlayer or upsample to DSD256 with Audirvana or HQPlayer, is better use 64its, am I right?