IGNORED

Unpopular opinion... I don't think Eric Clapton is very great.

12 hours ago, RHSims said:

Arguably, the British Invasion reintroduced the US classic blues players to the US where they were pretty much marginalized and ignored.

Ain't that the truth, though?  One of my favorite blues composers / singers / guitarists (and equally stellar at all 3) is a Brooklyn guy named Michael Hill.  Sadly, he's another world class guy about whom almost nobody knows.  HIs lyrics are poetry and his playing is like velvet that's sometimes burning and sometimes icy.  Among the many wonderful lyrics he's written is this gem of a line about marginalized and ignored blues greats: "Maybe some day our heroes will get paid while they're alive".

FWIW, Michael Hill is anyone's equal for prowess, taste, skill, knowledge, and musicianship.  He's one of my favorite artists in any genre - he's genuine, he's exciting to hear, and by all accounts I've heard he's a good guy as well.  Give him a listen!

28 minutes ago, 57gold said:

Miles felt that Coltrane overplayed and hogged the stage with extended solos, playing too many notes and guessing EC felt similarly about

I’d be surprised to learn that anyone thinks Clapton’s general approach to improvisation resembles Miles’ in any way at all.  Most of his electric blues solos are filled with rapid hammer-ones, pull offs, and rapidly repetitive riffs between elegantly built lightning runs. He is far from a spare and subtle soloist.

Those who doubt Clapton’s blues roots, reverence, and knowledge should listen to his album “Me and Mr Johnson”.  He presents the same dichotomy as Buddy Guy, who’s best known for lightning fast flurries and a bit of a heavy hand (and would have been Hendrix before Hendrix if his manager hadn’t stopped him with a warning that no one would buy records like that).  But a listen to Guy as he backs Cotton on acoustic reveals his blues roots too.  These guys are the real deal.