IGNORED

Allo Boss2 with Volumio

Hello, I've been able to setup the OLED install script successfully with Volumio 2.853 from the Allo website, however I'm seeing errors following the same instructions/process when trying to install on the latest version downloaded directly from Volumio (2.882).

The error is as follows: 

unable to execute 'arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc': No such file or directory

error: command 'arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc' failed with exit status 1

----------------------------------------
Cleaning up...
Command /usr/bin/python -c "import setuptools, tokenize;__file__='/tmp/pip-build-melZSo/RPi.GPIO/setup.py';exec(compile(getattr(tokenize, 'open', open)(__file__).read().replace('\r\n', '\n'), __file__, 'exec'))" install --record /tmp/pip-5J5V6g-record/install-record.txt --single-version-externally-managed --compile failed with error code 1 in /tmp/pip-build-melZSo/RPi.GPIO
Storing debug log for failure in /root/.pip/pip.log
***      Successfully Installed        ***

When rebooted the OLED shows a line for the volume, but the remote and control dial doesn't function.

15 hours ago, domether said:

Hello, I've been able to setup the OLED install script successfully with Volumio 2.853 from the Allo website, however I'm seeing errors following the same instructions/process when trying to install on the latest version downloaded directly from Volumio (2.882).

The error is as follows: 

unable to execute 'arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc': No such file or directory

error: command 'arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc' failed with exit status 1

----------------------------------------
Cleaning up...
Command /usr/bin/python -c "import setuptools, tokenize;__file__='/tmp/pip-build-melZSo/RPi.GPIO/setup.py';exec(compile(getattr(tokenize, 'open', open)(__file__).read().replace('\r\n', '\n'), __file__, 'exec'))" install --record /tmp/pip-5J5V6g-record/install-record.txt --single-version-externally-managed --compile failed with error code 1 in /tmp/pip-build-melZSo/RPi.GPIO
Storing debug log for failure in /root/.pip/pip.log
***      Successfully Installed        ***

When rebooted the OLED shows a line for the volume, but the remote and control dial doesn't function.

In volumio 2.882 some packages missing , due to that rpi.gpio not installing the new versions.

2.882 base image having issue, in gcc. So flash 2.873 and then update to 2.882 ,then it is working properly.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

After using a Raspi 3 + Hifiberry DAC with lots of pleasure I thought it was time for an upgrade.
So I ordered an Allo BossII.
I tried Volumio because I know it well and want to stick with it.
However I ran into the same troubles as everyone else. There is no BOSS II in the DAC list.
So I tried to download the file which was posted here march 3rd.
http://3.230.113.73:9011/Allocom/Boss2/volumio-2.853-2020-12-18-pi.img.zip
It doesn't seem to exist anymore.

Then I tried all sorts of other things including login into the Raspi via SSH but whatever I try, I get a Connection refused error.
It seems SSH is not running on the Raspi. I tried the latest version of Volumio and the previous one mentioned here above (2.873).
Again I run into the same problem of not being able to login to the Raspi.
I can ping the Raspi from the computer I work from and I left the name of the device as is.
I tried to SSH without a username, with username Volumio and username volumio.
Always the same response.

Has anyone got a guide about how to get the BOSS II working with Volumio?

When will the Boss II be included in the list of DAC's in Volumio?

Is there another mediaplayer that works out of the box with the Boss II?

Has anyone tried another DAC in the list to check compatibility?

I don't care about the frontpanel. I will only use the webinterface to control Volumio, however, I do understand that for certain settings I need to SSH into the PI or use the frontpanel so either one should work.

If my questions look a little bit confusing then you might be right because it is all confusing.
And even though I am not the worst, English is not my native language. That may make things more difficult.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Simply choosing BOSS when BOSS2 is not available wont work. Been there, done that.
Follow Audio_Allo's instructions in the PM and you are good to go.
One tip from me which is not in the instructions.... use a 16Gb SD card.
Good luck.

Erik.

Hi! I’m sorry I’m new to this as well and very inexperienced. I’m trying to get Tidal Connect with Volumio up and running. When I flashed volumio-2.853 from the link above I was able to select BOSS2 as in IS2 DAC. That worked getting Spotify connect up and running but wouldn’t allow me to update the software so that I could login in Tidal to use Tidal Connect. So I flashed volumio-2.873 and updated to volumio-2.882. That let me login to Tidal but then the BOSS2 is not an option as a configuration for a DAC. I’m still not able to see how you can select BOSS2 and use Tidal Connect. Thank you! 

4 hours ago, Ed V said:

Hi! I’m sorry I’m new to this as well and very inexperienced. I’m trying to get Tidal Connect with Volumio up and running. When I flashed volumio-2.853 from the link above I was able to select BOSS2 as in IS2 DAC. That worked getting Spotify connect up and running but wouldn’t allow me to update the software so that I could login in Tidal to use Tidal Connect. So I flashed volumio-2.873 and updated to volumio-2.882. That let me login to Tidal but then the BOSS2 is not an option as a configuration for a DAC. I’m still not able to see how you can select BOSS2 and use Tidal Connect. Thank you! 

After updating to volumio 2.882 , we need install Boss 2 driver and OLED manually.

Please login to volumio through ssh and install Boss 2 driver and OLED

1) For Boss 2 driver please follow the steps below

sudo su

password : volumio

cd /usr/src
wget http://3.230.113.73:9011/Allocom/Boss2/volumio/419118upd.sh
sh 419118upd.sh
reboot

2. For Boss 2 OLED Please follow the steps below

sudo su

cd /opt/
wget http://3.230.113.73:9011/Allocom/Boss2/boss2_oled.tar.gz
tar -xzvf boss2_oled.tar.gz
cd boss2_oled
./install_boss2_oled.sh 

And reboot the player.

You can refer below document link for volumio ssh access

https://github.com/sparkysbc/sparky_linux_images/blob/master/volumio_ssh_enable.pdf

On 6/25/2021 at 10:07 PM, Audio_Allo said:

After updating to volumio 2.882 , we need install Boss 2 driver and OLED manually.

Please login to volumio through ssh and install Boss 2 driver and OLED

1) For Boss 2 driver please follow the steps below

sudo su

cd /usr/src
wget http://3.230.113.73:9011/Allocom/Boss2/volumio/419118upd.sh
sh 419118upd.sh
reboot

2. For Boss 2 OLED Please follow the steps below

sudo su

cd /opt/
wget http://3.230.113.73:9011/Allocom/Boss2/boss2_oled.tar.gz
cd boss2_oled
./install_boss2_oled.sh 

And reboot the player.

You can refer below document link for volumio ssh access

https://github.com/sparkysbc/sparky_linux_images/blob/master/volumio_ssh_enable.pdf

Thank you so much! That got Tidal Connect working which is all I really care about. I tried to get the oled screen going a couple times but could not get it to work. I'm really not worried about it. The Boss2 sounds insanely good with my set up. Thanks for a great product and the great service. 

On 6/27/2021 at 9:40 AM, Ed V said:

Thank you so much! That got Tidal Connect working which is all I really care about. I tried to get the oled screen going a couple times but could not get it to work. I'm really not worried about it. The Boss2 sounds insanely good with my set up. Thanks for a great product and the great service. 

Any error you are getting while installing OLED? Forwarded PM please check

• 3 months later...
18 hours ago, CRruns said:

Does @Audio_Allo have any solution for running version 2.915 of Volumio on an Allo Boss 2?

I updated to the newest version, and now I cannot log into my player via Terminal  - I get a Warning: Remote Host Identification has changed! error when trying to log in.

Shouldn't there be full support for this combo by now?

I was able to update my Volumio on Allo Boss 2 to 2.915, and regain full functionality, but the process is not as seamless as I would like -

First, you have to Factory Reset through Volumio, then Check Updates, and gain the version 2.915.

Restart the Boss 2, and then go through the steps via Terminal to Add Allo Boss 2 to the list of players within Volumio, restart, add plug-ins for Spotify, and Spotify Connect, restart, then perform steps through Terminal to re-gain the Boss 2 OLED functionality.

(Of course, since it's been 6 months since I've been through the steps, it took some fiddling to get this all to work eventually, but I'm up and running with everything working now.)

Oh, and the fix for logging into Volumio on your Pi via Terminal (mac OS) is to go into Finder, (User Folder), show hidden files (Shift, Cmd, .), locate the .ssh folder, and delete the known_hosts file

Now, you can log into Volumio via Terminal and re-install the Allo 2 software, and the OLED software.

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, Michal_P said:

Hi

Is there any tutorial / instruction how to install Boss 2.0 on the newest Volumio 3? 

In volumio 3 , Boss 2 selection already available.

OLED we need to install manually through ssh.

For Boss 2 OLED Please follow the steps below

sudo su

cd /opt/
wget http://3.230.113.73:9011/Allocom/Boss2/boss2_oled.tar.gz
cd boss2_oled
./install_boss2_oled.sh

And reboot the player.

Note : Don't change the hostname before installing the OLED.

12 hours ago, strawman said:

Hi , I am on Volumio 3 on Allo Boss2  followed steps above from Audio_Allo, installed through ssh, as advised, rebooted but display is still  not working, any suggestions? many thanks 

While installing did you noticed any errors?

You installed OLED without changing volumio hostname right?

It will work in volumio3 .Forwarded PM also please check