IGNORED

Objectivity is based on subjective experience

erin

23 hours ago, erin said:

We could only arrive at the objective measurement from our subjective experience. Without the subjective experience the objective measurement would only be theoretical. 

Is English your primary language? In English we would say something like "The purpose of objective measurements is to improve subjective experience" ... is this what you mean?

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

7 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

Gödel's incompleteness theorem states that in any formal system (like Mathematics) there will always be a number of theorems that are true but can't be proven so. Does it mean that Truth is subjective?

Quine addressed that!

6 hours ago, PeterSt said:

But Jonathan, it seems that you did not get my gist.

So I *am* this audiophile with "more than" experience. I hear differences anywhere from miles, blindfolded (lol). I also have those measurement tools.

The rest is history.

I am not addressing this to any person, rather the statement itself which makes no sense in English.

Or course you may use your subjective experiences to guide the decision about which measurements to perform. This does not mean the measurements are "based on" the subjective experiences. Einstein used thought "experiments" to guide which measurements should be done (by other scientists), you may also use thought experiments or you may use subjective listening and then you design and build a circuit, and measure in the course of doing this, and then listen again. So this is how I say this in English:

The measurements we perform are guided by our subjective experience.

In English, "guided by" and "based on" have different meanings. 

6 hours ago, PeterSt said:

So now what ?

Am I imagining it all ?

or do I need better measurement gear ?

... It is the (subjective) former which requires the latter - and in that sequence. That's what Erin's message was (but I am not Erin). There is nothing absurd about it.

You and Erin can decide to use your own means of communication, you may have a shared understanding and communicate telepathically, however if you wish to communicate precisely, then the words that are used must also be precise.

7 hours ago, zerung said:

Heisenberg’s uncertainty principle states that if we know everything about where a particle is located, we know nothing about its momentum thereafter, simply because its momentum then goes ballistic..or unpredictable.or so I understand.

So even the most objective observation will be a subjective action thereafter......

What is a "subjective action"? You seem to be, to use an English colloquialism, mixing apples and oranges here. The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle discusses the limits of precision in (objective) measurements. I don't comprehend how its says anything about subjective human experiences, which are not at the quantum level.

31 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I was thinking about this. The fact that this hobby has a subjective enjoyment part and an objectively measurable component makes it fairly unique. 

Yes. In photography, although there can be equally passionate arguments between eg Leica vs Nikon vs Zeiss lense owners, the physics of the optics, sensors and publication media doesn’t seem to fall under the same dispute.

12 minutes ago, MarkusBarkus said:

...perhaps what to measure can be said to be subjective (and the decision to measure at all--but almost everyone dislikes that guy), the measurement objective, and the interpretation of the measurement subjective? 

Oh 1000% yes

It's a sticky wicket, IMO, but I truly respect the engineers and scientists that have "learned the rules" and later uncovered new "rules." I married one (she has strongly advised me to stay out of this discussion, BTW). 😉

It should be obvious that a single crude measurement such a THD does not predict SQ. That said we need to, at least, understand the difference between measurements in general and subjective listening enjoyment eg SQ. Measurements might be done for marketing reasons and the objective solely to sell product. 

Honestly, if we don't take some things as at least practically objective, we'll never get the plane off the ground.

IMO that's an important underlying aspect of @jabbr's post, though I would not propose to speak for him on this or any other topic. 

That’s my point.