IGNORED

Roon 1.8 Discussion

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2021 at 10:35 AM, Mike48 said:

Roon adds a lot of fun to my music listening, which is why I keep paying for it. When I'm searching for a specific sort of work and want to know what's in my library, I get the most precise results with my OpenHome setup (MinimServer and BubbleUPnP), not Roon.

If they spent more time fixing issues rather than policing their forum trying to silence criticism it might add some fun.  Instead it adds frustration.

5 hours ago, firedog said:

They've allowed a thread on the forum that's about how much 1.8 sucks. I don't see that as silencing criticism.

You have clearly not seen their moderation thread where the coo is spending time judging customers and told one he'd rather they left. Lots of time and energy to waste on inane issues rather than addressing issues in the software - and a few minutes of browsing makes it clear these issues are not about wants and needs, but rather about problems that are left unresolved.  If they spent more time on the product and less time trying to police their customers there may well be fewer issues.

15 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

+1 for the beauty of independent forums like this :~)

Yes. A few months back he's mouthing off labelling customers that don't stream "dinosaurs" then just recently he goes on to call someone a bigot because they made an off-color post in what was simply a misguided attempt at some light hearted humor. Pot, kettle, black, except he meant no humor when characterising his customers dinosaurs. They're technically gifted, but they're incredibly arrogant.  Believing you're the smartest chap in the room is rarely a recipe for sustained success.

39 minutes ago, bobflood said:

I am certain that it will only continue to improve

No doubt they will continue to add features, whether they will constitute improvements or not is debatable.  They don't enjoy a good track record addressing bugs or enhancements once something is released...unless of course they encounter a lot of resistance, as they did with 1.8 on initial release.

What will be interesting is to see how many customers they retain once Spotify and Apple launch lossless streaming and Roon have no ability to integrate as they do with Qobuz & Tidal.

5 hours ago, Foggie said:

As always, here is the context of the dinosaur comment.  I don't really see any issue with it in the context of how it was written or at least how someone quoted this as "mouthing off" and putting it in some horrible context. 

And going on to label someone lazy because they don't stream and it's thus assumed they don't explore new music is ok.  It's got absolutely nothing to do with them what people listen to and whether or not they listen to the same stuff over and over.  It does not mean they are dinosaurs nor that they're lazy.  Imagine calling your customers lazy dinosaurs, what a monumental cheek.

19 hours ago, LarryMagoo said:

Your statements about Roon is almost 100% Bull$hit....what do you know....are you are subscriber?

Let me share just how wonderful the Roon experience is at delivering: "Immerse yourself in photos, bios, reviews, credits, lyrics, tour dates, and more…"

image.png.00e888ef248196346b098e6282ac8384.png

There's no reason most of this 8.5% should be unidentified and unless I go in and manually identify them one by one this is how they'll remain, meaning they don't have any of the relatable metadata because Roon isn't handling these in the same way it handles albums it's identified.  Before you go there, they're not unidentified because the folders or files aren't named according to Roon's requirements or because box sets aren't named 1-01, 2-01 or CD1, CD2 etc.

image.png.ce6fb8d52fdcef49bb41084d624aa7cb.png

14% of my albums won't show up in genre related browsing and filtering, won't get picked by Roon Radio or will be picked completely out of context.

image.png.fcc3eb88e85fafbba13b79e1ea97b7e6.png

Roon knows these albums, hasn't/can't assign genres. Won't get picked by Roon Radio or will be picked completely out of context.

image.png.6a30fcc1dbeb665ce268914dca2e7cc0.png

42% of albums have no review.  Can't add one from public domain, can't add my own, can't annotate.

image.png.978774dc51ae312048b7189069f496e4.png

12% of albums assigned Pop/Rock only - a meaningless genre assignment on its own.

image.thumb.png.6ca4797eb6eb5c3f118ae966ecafcecd.png

There a quick way of making or undoing this selection?  Nope!

image.png.1d24dceea7cb9b9c311f10ea06e260d2.png

Great,  40% of the time I'm staring at two letters instead of a picture of the artist.  50% of the time that there is a picture it's chinless, a forehead, the wrong face in a band pic rather than the artist in question.

image.png.b0e50983e468aa9b1619ef9a6e086820.png

11% of the artists in my library won't make any appearance in a genre filter, or genre browse.  They're unlikely to be picked for Roon Radio and won't be picked for any genre based shuffle.

image.png.0d556d28bfaed176f7f907d9f885ba76.png

37% of the artists in my library have no bio.  They're not obscure.  Can't add a bio either, can't annotate.

image.png.e227c2ef5d21acd358a81a2675631072.png

14% of artists are assigned Pop/Rock only - a meaningless genre assignment on its own.

image.thumb.png.e07f7daaaf8f6844a64fe191eeb35d71.png

There a quick way of making or undoing this selection?  Nope!

So yes, whilst Roon's under the hood architecture for getting music from A to B, C, D, E, F etc. is great (and it's not a standout in this dept.) its front-end is nowhere near as great as the marketing would have you believe.

9 minutes ago, firedog said:

In short, you haven't set up your collection the way Roon recommends.

With all due respect you have no idea what you're talking about and you're just putting ignorance on display.

Apart from adding album covers where I have none on file and adding unidentified albums to Musicbrainz, which of the matters I've pointed out is within the gift of a user to able to resolve?

31 minutes ago, firedog said:

But again, I've added all sorts of pictures and also material stored as pdfs to my album folders.

And how does that address the matters I raised?  Sure I can go add 1000's of artist images and a few hundred album covers... one by one... but most apps do a better job at a fraction of the cost or even  free.

That also does nothing do deal with missing genres - adding your own is pointless because Roon Radio ignores them and you cannot add genres to artists.

1 hour ago, firedog said:

have you tried the genre mapping function?

I'm relying on Roon to assign genres to albums it recognises. Genre mapping enables you to map file based genres to Roon's genre schema.  Problem is their own metadata lacks the genre assigments.