Not really. Just depends.....

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

18 hours ago, Cosmic_Error said:

(A) I realize that it would be better for me to actually demo things but unfortunately it is simply impossible for me to demo equipment with spending a large amount of money. That money would be coming directly out of my speaker budget.

(B) My current speakers are a pair of active Adam Audio T5V's and while I like them overall, I hate the hissing I can hear from them constantly (apparently this is just a problem that all active monitors have?), they also are not even close to loud enough for me and finally they lack bass. So I'm looking to try passive speakers this time around. 

(C) That's why I'm trying to figure out the speaker side of things first. The speakers dictate the amp not the other way around, at least from what I've heard.

(A) So maybe you need to look for components you can try before you buy? Otherwise you'll blow your budget many times over!

(B) It could be the Adams are faulty or the hiss is coming up the chain from your phono and because you've got the volume very high. You could try an alternative source to try and troubleshoot this first. This is definitely not normal so IMHO it would be a mistake to rule out actives. You could easily find the issue is exactly the same with your new amp/passives.

(C) I agree that speakers dictate 90% of the SQ. However that's the very reason I made the previous suggestions to help you find a solution without going round in circles.

🎸🎶🏔️🐺

• 3 weeks later...

Buying used will get you a lot of advantages...a chance to demo as long as you like, and the ability to flip at little expense if things don't work out, double the bang/buck. Just be sure to fully insure the shipment and to buy only from someone with plenty of positive feedback as a seller of audio gear. 

Since demoing at home with be partially dependent on the amp used, either start with something on your short list that errs towards being easier to drive. Alternatively, if you have a friend nearby who'd lend a more powerful amp to demo, that would be a bonus.

Digital Source: Synology DS415+ NAS  and Small Green Computer SonicTransporter i5 Running Roon Core > Blue Jean Cable Cat6a >TP optical converter > Sonore OpticalRendu with Sonore LPS> Curious USB > Denafrips Pontus DAC

Analog Source: Dynavector XX2 mk2> Audiomods Series 5 silver arm > Sota Nova Series VI turntable w/Condor & Roadrunner motor controller/tachometer > Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage>

Both: BAT VK51SE preamp> Krell FPB300 power amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > > Custom room treatment > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)