IGNORED

Trying to setup a TP-Link TL-ER6020 Router

Trying to get a network router properly connected brings me the same level of enjoyment as having an impacted wisdom tooth removed.

I have a TP-Link TL-ER6020 Router for which I (think) I correctly configured the IP address.

The DHCP server is enabled.

And yet, when I connect my laptop, which does receive an internet connection when I connect its ethernet port elsewhere in the house, I get nothing except the ability to access the menu of the router.

I tried to follow the direction of the instruction manual but that hasn't been helpful enough to keep me from writing this post.

If anyone offers any suggestions, I'll be grateful.

Thanks and here's wishing you and your families a very happy Thanksgiving.

Joel

Thanks very much for the reply, RC1200L.

This router was highly recommended by a friend I trust in the audio industry.

Here's a link to the Amazon listing. It seems, based on the image, that there's more than one LAN port available.

https://www.amazon.com/SafeStream-TL-ER6020-Broadband-throughput-Concurrent/dp/B00A8NWU70/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia-wc-drs1_0?cv_ct_cx=TP-Link+SafeStream+TL-ER6020&dchild=1&keywords=TP-Link+SafeStream+TL-ER6020&pd_rd_i=B00A8NWU70&pd_rd_r=c0caa0bf-b73d-4c9d-bbe8-556c4450f82b&pd_rd_w=QZYbF&pd_rd_wg=lTpE0&pf_rd_p=c33e4373-edb9-47f9-a7e6-5d3d6a7a4ad0&pf_rd_r=Q7DQJFP56N5S5CXFNES7&psc=1&qid=1606491734&sr=1-1-5e875a02-02b1-4426-9916-8a5c26cd5a14

In any event, how would I use a single LAN port both for input and output?

I'm probably misunderstanding your point.

Thanks again for your offer to help.

Joel

My device is a 6020 and I believe the link you sent me was for a 6120.

I feel silly asking, but I should connect my ISP to the WAN and then my devices to the LAN ports?

I think I actually tried that yesterday and it didn't work.

But I don't think I tried other LAN ports.

Joel

4 hours ago, plissken said:

If your laptop is running Windows:

Hit the Windows key by the space bar. Type in CMD and hit the enter key and a new black box should appear. Type in ipconfig and hit enter.

Paste the output here.

I realize the "media disconnected" message is likely the issue.

Figuring out where to go from here is where I'll appreciate the help.

Thanks so much, plissken, for taking the time.

And thanks to R1200CL and DuckToller for trying to help me out as well.

I not only appreciate the advice but also the moral support concerning the difficulties involved in configuring devices like this one.

You're good guys.

Joel

ipconfig output - November 29, 2020.JPG

Thanks again.

If my laptop is able to pickup a network connection from an ethernet port elsewhere in the house (when the new router is not connected), wouldn't that address your point about making sure the ip setting Windows is set properly, or is there something else I should be looking for?

I appreciate your walking me through what must be very basic for you and others regarding networks.

Joel

2 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Please also read manual chapter 2.1. It seems you must assign a wlan port as a start. 
(Remember to save). 

Try to find your ISP DNS, or check your WiFi router have that info. 

E5A30CB7-A453-466A-AC37-842194592ECA.jpeg

Thanks for this information.

I'll start with the wifi information and go from there.

Joel

32 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

If you finally will be able to make this work, it would be very interesting to understand your intention for buying this item. 

I have now scanned the 230 page manual, and I must say there is so many settings that can be applied, but normally a home user would never need. 

One setting you may pay attention to is to apply UPnP. You can google to learn more about it. 
(page 201 in manual). It you not apply it, you will likely have more settings to configure. 

R1200CL, I so appreciate the time you've devoted to my situation.

Given how little I understand what I'm dealing with, I'm not sure how productive it would be for me to spend time guessing about different configurations.

At the same time, thanks a lot for your suggestion regarding UPnP.

Joel

I believe I only have one router operating at a time as I pull the cable from the cable modem out of the wifi router to plug into the new router.

I don't know if ISP is using IPv6 or not.

Here are a couple of more screen captures illustrating the issue.

Pressing "Connect" doesn't establish a connection. It tries to connect and then reverts to it's previous state.

I don't know what my ISP's primary DNS is.

How would I find that?

The wifi box I would use would come in after the new router, DHCP server disenabled.

Thanks again for hanging in there with me on this.

Joel

Joel

WAN Mode - November 29, 2020.JPG

WAN Screen Capture - November 29, 2020.JPG

By different connection types, you mean different ports on the new router?

And the bandwidth numbers can be removed? Those categories aren't shown as optional.

I can still give it a try of course.

Given the hour, I'll plan on picking this up again tomorrow.

Thanks very much.

Joel

What a great message, DuckToller.

Thanks very much for that.

And yes, your comment about R1200CL is spot on.

When I saw he was sending me messages last night up until 4am his time, I was amazed and grateful.

While I doubt he was staying up just to help me, 4am is still 4am.

Candidly, I'm grateful to all of you who have commented but I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with all of the information I've been given.

So please allow me some time to assimilate and implement the advice you've given me.

I can't help but have the feeling that there's a simple matter of a ticked box or something else keeping me from solving this issue.

In the meantime, to DuckToller, One and a Half (thanks for your great message), RC1200, and plissken, you guys have been great.

I never imagined I would get so much support for something like this.

I'm very grateful to all of you.

Joel

1 minute ago, plissken said:

Speaking of which: What time zone are you in? I could always extend an MS Teams meet and hop on you computer and poke around for the issues.

I'm in the central time zone in the U.S., plissken.

What a very generous offer.

It says a lot good about you that you would try to help someone you don't know like that.

I'm game and will try not to abuse the privilege.

Thanks very much.

Joel