IGNORED

Late 80's stereo system from my father. Help identifying quality and value.

losslessflac21

Question

Hi,

I was recently given a Philips XF3CT rack mounted stereo system by my father. From what he has told me it was bought in the late 80's in Australia for a couple of grand. I've been unable to find any information regarding the model number online. Not one search result or image and I was hoping you guys would be able to help me with the information I'm looking for. Ideally I'd like to know the value ( I have no intention of selling it ), the quality of the equipment and anything else you can tell me about it.

I've uploaded 3 pictures. two of the unit itself and one of the back with the model number.

If more are needed please let me know.

Thank you!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5 answers to this question

54 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

You could try to search for single components model ... but it’s difficult to find informations about hw from ‘80s, WorldWideWeb started in the  ‘90s ...

There is loads of info on the web about classic HiFi equipment from the 1980s and earlier. There probably isn’t any info about this particular Philips system because it is more ‘budget HiFi’ than ‘classic HiFi’.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

That looks like it was part of the Black Tulip system that Philips introduced some time around 1980.  I don’t remember any details because it was of no interest to me - but I think there were some decent reviews of the top line amplifier in that series.   The only info I recall is that the BT system was not “budget hifi” - it was aimed at audiophiles. Although the dating and your somewhat fuzzy picture seem right, I have no way of knowing if this is part of that line.  The amplifier models were numbers (300 series?) so if there’s an identifying label or mark on any component, you could try searching that for more clues.

Unless there’s a tiny cult of collectors out there (which seems unlikely to me), it probably has little or no resale value.  But if it works well and sounds good, just enjoy it.

Not worth much at all. All in one systems like that have no value what so ever.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

1 hour ago, bluesman said:

That looks like it was part of the Black Tulip system that Philips introduced some time around 1980.  I don’t remember any details because it was of no interest to me - but I think there were some decent reviews of the top line amplifier in that series.   The only info I recall is that the BT system was not “budget hifi” - it was aimed at audiophiles. Although the dating and your somewhat fuzzy picture seem right, I have no way of knowing if this is part of that line.  The amplifier models were numbers (300 series?) so if there’s an identifying label or mark on any component, you could try searching that for more clues.

Unless there’s a tiny cult of collectors out there (which seems unlikely to me), it probably has little or no resale value.  But if it works well and sounds good, just enjoy it.

It isn’t a Black Tulip system because the components don’t appear to be separates - it is an ‘all in one’ judging from the shot of the back. So very much a budget system I believe.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot