IGNORED

2v or 6v into a tube pre-amp? what would you do (and why?)

992Sam

I realized I may have implied your amp had a tube output stage, but I know it is SS.  The commonality it has with tube outputs is the transformer output (actually an autoformer with Mac, unique in that regard and a neat concept).

Bill

Labels assigned by CA members: "Cogley's ML sock-puppet," "weaponizer of psychology," "ethically-challenged," "professionally dubious," "machismo," "lover of old westerns," "shill," "expert on ducks and imposters," "Janitor in Chief," "expert in Karate," "ML fanboi or employee," "Alabama Trump supporter with an NRA decal on the windshield of his car," sycophant

No worries. :)

Most of us have been there (I know I have)!

Bill

Labels assigned by CA members: "Cogley's ML sock-puppet," "weaponizer of psychology," "ethically-challenged," "professionally dubious," "machismo," "lover of old westerns," "shill," "expert on ducks and imposters," "Janitor in Chief," "expert in Karate," "ML fanboi or employee," "Alabama Trump supporter with an NRA decal on the windshield of his car," sycophant

Thank you.  Yes, I have the input sensitivity at the the lowest setting on my Benchmark amp and with the analog/automatic gain switching of the RME DAC usually listen at -0 to -6db of digital attenuation (with higher quality recordings).  I think it is a good way to go.  As long as the output stage of a DAC is well-designed and the volume control is implemented well (and it has one, not all do, of course), I don't see the need for a separate preamplifier.  It is nice to avoid the expense (the good ones are $$) of a separate preamplifier.

Again, this isn't to say that @992Sam won't enjoy the heck out the sound he gets from the Macintosh preamp.  He may fall in love with its tube gain stage, there are certainly many that do.

Bill

Ah yes, I just remembered as well that @992Sam will be running an SACD player and an LP system, where a preamp is mandatory (I have converted to digital files exclusively).  I expect the Macintosh to be a wonderful performer for him.  As the common pathway for all of the sources a great preamp is considered by many to be the heart of a system.

Bill