IGNORED

HD tracks teases with 24/192

Good, but, as I understand, whatever is available in 24/192 is only 24/192 and there is no option to buy 24/96 of the same.

If this is how all future 192 records will be sold I do not like this as I want to have the option of getting 24/96.

i.e.

24/192 in addition to 24/96 - good

24/192 instead of 24/96 - not so good

I am thrilled to have access to these remarkable high-res recordings, I have been downloading for only a few weeks but cannot listen to redbook CD anymore, I truly feel like I bought a new stereo.

That said, whats up with these obscure recordings? I am sure xyz jazz group can do a decent riff on Pink Floyd, but where is the actual Pink Floyd recording? Muddy Waters lost tapes, great, what about the unlost tapes, the ones we know and love. Rolling Stones, Dylan, Beatles, Hendrix, Cocker, Cohen, Tom Waits. Why am I picking through relatively unknowns looking for something of interest, when the items of common interest are nowhere to be found?

Right Brain

Hello,

I picked up the "Jazz Side of the Moon" in 24-bits, 96kHz over the holidays from HDTracks when it was on-sale. I can't wait to grab a track or two at 192kHz and find out what the difference sounds like on my system. I'm intellectually skeptical, but I've heard more than a few folks claim that the differences are not hard to hear (on a good system) once you have trained your ears a bit. We'll see...

This stuff is not so easy to find on the HDTracks website though. What's the other album? Will they create a 24-bit/192kHz store?

$27 is not a bad deal compared to $45 direct from Reference Recordings...assuming that the content was originally captured at these high sampling rates rather than upsampled from existing lower frequency samples.

Cheers.

-- David

I have been having a terrible time trying to get the downloader for HDTracks to work properly. Usually it would take 3 days just to download one 24/96 album. Corresponded with the "HDTracks Team", but could not get it to work with my 24Mb U-Verse connection. Finally gave up - last download attempt was Nov, 2010.

Being a glutton for punishment (audiophile, after all) I tried one of the 24/192 albums, Jazz Side of the Moon, yesterday. Downloaded 3.86Gb in less than 30 minutes with no stalls, restarts or any problems!

A quick run through Max and voila, 24/192 playing in iTunes with Pure Vinyl.

Kudos to the HDTracks Team or Apple or whoever, but it is working well for me now. If you have given up as I had, try it again with their free sampler set.

Peter Truce

Mac Mini 2013 i5 SSD 6G 120 GB - OSX 10.8.5 - Pure Music & Pure Vinyl - synology 3TB NAS - Oppo 105 - Emotiva XSP-1 balanced preamp - Event Opal active speakers & SVS SB-13 sub - 3 custom turntables - hand built Ed Yang tube phono stage - TC Impact 24/192 A-D vinyl ripper- fully treated, equalized listening room

The Jen Chapin album has only three acoustic sources, (well four if you count the room), and image placement is so solid and accurate, you could actually feel if the singer is moving around just a little, stay in one spot for a while and move again.

I would have thought the Chesky label have all these in the vault already and the Jen Chapin album would have showcased the stunning clarity of their recordings which it obviously does.

The Jazz Side of the Moon, is not my cup of tea at all on the first listen, it's just "sound" to me, the original is far more emotionally involving, wouldn't mind a 24/192 of that, agreed!

It's only being a few months since USB Audio Class 2 was available natively, 24/192 was only previously listenable with proprietry drivers/firewire, maybe HD tracks were holding off until 2011 to release for this reason.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

I went ahead and picked up the "reVisions of Songs of Stevie Wonder" with Jen Chapin and friends. I only had time for the first three cuts, but OMG(oodness) what a stunningly transparent recording!

I'm sure that these recordings sound great even in redbook format, but 24-bit words arriving in pairs 192,000 times/second can't hurt. This seems to be best value by far at HDTracks--over an hour and forty minutes of music at the highest bit rate and sampling frequency that they offer (2.04 GB).

Looking forward to more.

-- David

I spent an entire afternoon looking through a bunch of hi-rez download websites and found only a few worth buying floating in a sea of dreck. I can't for the life of me imagine why I would care to listen to a bunch of nobodies do a jazz take of "Dark Side of the Moon". There's way too much good music out there to waste time listening to "audiophile music".

Hello,

I'm with both you and RightBrain. To some extent, SACD and DVD-Audio had a similar selection problem (plus a long list of others). Because they never really took off, things have not improved much.

As consumers, I do think that we vote with our dollars. It's our responsibility to demonstrate that there is a market for high resolution (ideally DRM free) music, and we do that by being generous with our purchases, especially while this market is still forming. In addition, it's always our responsibility to show anyone who will listen how recorded music playback can be promoted from something that we have on while we're doing something else to a first class activity that has our full attention.

Education and supporting the market are ways that we can help to develop this marketplace and therefore the available selection of high resolution digital music. Cheers!

-- David

Is HD Tracks still "USA residents only"?! What's the deal, my money not good enough?

Anyone care to share a way around this? Would be appreciative, thanks.

Fully Balanced Differential Stereo: Jamo R909 < Emotiva XPA-1 < XLR < Emotiva XSP-1 < Weiss DAC2 < Oyaide d+ FW400/800 < iMac < Synology DS1815+ NAS

Software: Amarra Symphony iRC, XLD, iTunes.

OK. So HDtracks' entry into 24/192 is a little underwhelming for some of us.

Where - if anywhere - is the good music that will stretch the bit juggling abilities of my newly-acquired Young DAC?

Main: Lumin app -> Raspberry Pi/Digi+ Board/MoOde -> iFi iPower 5V audiophile PSU -> M2Tech Young/Super TeddyReg PSU -> TQ Listen Pre-amp -> Colin Wonfor Green God Single Ended Class A 30 WPC Monoblocks -> Royd RR3 speakers/Royd stands. Interconnects and speaker cables Wonfor-era TQ 
Office: Lumin app -> Raspberry Pi/IQAudio onboard DAC/MoOde -> Bi-amped TQ Atom Power Amps with C14 modifications -> Mission 751 speakers/desk. Interconnects and speaker cables from the plastic sack in the loft
Media: Hi-Fis and TVs all fed by Synology DS411slim NAS, running Minimserver (audio) and Syno media server (video).

Ugly, go to 2l.no and download the Mozart violin concertos by Marianne Thorsen, it's about the best small ensemble classical recording I've heard. The violins have a particularly beguiling shimmer.

It's just a shame that all the classical labels didn't make their output available like this. I'd happily pay over the odds for access to them. I'd download pretty much the entire Hyperion back catalogue straight off the bat if they made it available at 24/192.

17\"MB-Pro-Weiss 202-Muse 200- NS 1000M

Ugly, go to 2l.no and download the Mozart violin concertos by Marianne Thorsen, it's about the best small ensemble classical recording I've heard. The violins have a particularly beguiling shimmer.

This is also one of my favorites. These 2L recordings are really also worth trying out in 96/24 5.1 channel (unfortunately they don't have 192/24 5.1 available). Different and fresh kind of approach to multichannel.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Thanks, guys. I'll give it a go.

Main: Lumin app -> Raspberry Pi/Digi+ Board/MoOde -> iFi iPower 5V audiophile PSU -> M2Tech Young/Super TeddyReg PSU -> TQ Listen Pre-amp -> Colin Wonfor Green God Single Ended Class A 30 WPC Monoblocks -> Royd RR3 speakers/Royd stands. Interconnects and speaker cables Wonfor-era TQ 
Office: Lumin app -> Raspberry Pi/IQAudio onboard DAC/MoOde -> Bi-amped TQ Atom Power Amps with C14 modifications -> Mission 751 speakers/desk. Interconnects and speaker cables from the plastic sack in the loft
Media: Hi-Fis and TVs all fed by Synology DS411slim NAS, running Minimserver (audio) and Syno media server (video).