IGNORED

I'm thinking of ripping my CDs in AIFF, but would there be any problem with that down the line?

pionphil

2 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

the problem seems to be that iTunes/Apple Music do not still (and never will, as it is said almost everywhere ) manage flac files therefore it is impossible to create playlists in iTunes and synchronize them with iPhone.

True enough - but the OP specifically said that...

12 hours ago, pionphil said:

...[i]f I ripped in FLAC I wouldn't be able to play it on iPhones.

And that’s not correct.

1 hour ago, stefano_mbp said:

@bluesman but it seems clear that he want to use iTunes... this is the constraint 

I could be wrong.  But his statement that he "...wouldn't be able to play [FLACs] on iPhones" suggests to me that he believes there's simply no way to do so with any player.

I hope that the advantages of FLAC over AIFF might move him from iTunes to a more versatile player.  For example, VLC is a wonderful player for all file types on all platforms.  Paid apps like Golden Ear & FLAC Player are also great.  And he can use programs like Foobar2000 or JRiver Media Center to stream his FLACs from a home computer to his iPhone over the internet, so he won't even have to load them all into the phone.

But if he truly won't leave iTunes, he has limited options for better sound.  Those who want lossless files but are wedded to iTunes are stuck with Apple-recognized files (AIFF & ALAC). If his goal is better SQ from an iPhone with music files smaller than AIFFs (which are basically wavs in a container), he'll have to choose between iTunes / ALAC and other players / platforms.

On 9/23/2020 at 10:50 PM, pionphil said:

Maybe I'll try playing around with VLC and see how I like it to decide whether to rip in AIFF or FLAC. 

As I said in an earlier post, VLC is a great program.  It works well, sounds great, and will play anything you can throw at it. It even converts video sound tracks to audio files in the formats we use.  If you choose FLAC, it lets you choose the compression level (I use the default 5 anyway). 

The library management and display functions are no match for JRMC, Roon et al.  But you won’t be admiring album art or reading liner notes on your phone.  Overall, it’s excellent.