IGNORED

Roon Server for Lumin X1

• 2 months later...

navrsale,

I am not familiar with the Hub3000.  If you are using Roon, you can integrate Tidal playback with Roon.   The K40 does not have fiber input, but if that is something you wish to utilize, you could consider such fine devices as Uptone EtherRegen or Sonore OpticalModule to convert fiber to copper into the K40 plus provide additonal noise abatement.  There, of course, are other FMC devices and switches that will accommodate fiber and copper ethernet.  

I have elected to cancel my order for the K40.  I am not upset with Antipodes nor with the distributor.   It came down to a series of delays in getting the unit, that I believe were aggravated by the pandemic.  Supply chains and associated shipping have been negatively impacted due to COVID.  However, my enthusiasm waned as fulfillment experienced these ongoing delays.  I decided for the present I would stay with my current server.  I am not opposed to considering Antipodes again in the future, but will leave my options open.  

Best of luck to you finding suitable solution.

@further If you are still interested in a Roon server with a second network output to Lumin X1, perhaps you may take a look at SonicTransporter i9 Optical (a FYI only, not an endorsement).  I think the optical output port will allow a direct connection to X1 SFP, with your EtherREGEN feeding the SonicTransporter. 

See this diagram (but with Lumin X1 instead of opticalRendu + DAC):

spacer.png

(Alternatively, you may have the EtherREGEN in between the SonicTransporter and the X1.)

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

On 1/28/2021 at 9:27 AM, navrsale said:

How can one have both Tidal and K40 at the same time if the router is Hub3000 that have both SFP and ethernet ports? The NAS is MybookLive connected via ethernet to Hub3000 router.

If you're referring to a router that is supplied by an ISP, its fiber port (if it has one) is not meant for customer use.  You can use its Ethernet LAN ports only.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Peter, I have thought about the SonicTransporter i9 Optical.  I have the i5 CDR SonicTransporter now.  The i9 would give me more capability to upsample, but I find that though I have had some upsample options now via Roon and also with the X1, I have found up to now I still have preferred native resolution.  I also have an EtherRegen in use now to the Lumin X1.  I will be getting a PF Buffalo switch and will have options of optical as well as copper ethernet with it as well. 

I am not unhappy with my i5, but do wonder how much different? better? other "upgrade" servers may be.  

I want to pass my appreciation for the value you bring to these audio forums, with recommendations and support suggestions beyond just Lumin.

I mentioned it only because it seems that you were looking for another Roon Core server.  If your current setup works fine, there is no need for a replacement then.  You may consider looking at other options such as power supply upgrade for the SonicTransporter if you are not already using it.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

On 1/29/2021 at 11:27 PM, further said:

Peter, I have thought about the SonicTransporter i9 Optical.  I have the i5 CDR SonicTransporter now.  The i9 would give me more capability to upsample, but I find that though I have had some upsample options now via Roon and also with the X1, I have found up to now I still have preferred native resolution.  I also have an EtherRegen in use now to the Lumin X1.  I will be getting a PF Buffalo switch and will have options of optical as well as copper ethernet with it as well. 

I am not unhappy with my i5, but do wonder how much different? better? other "upgrade" servers may be.  

I want to pass my appreciation for the value you bring to these audio forums, with recommendations and support suggestions beyond just Lumin.

6 hours ago, wklie said:

I mentioned it only because it seems that you were looking for another Roon Core server.  If your current setup works fine, there is no need for a replacement then.  You may consider looking at other options such as power supply upgrade for the SonicTransporter if you are not already using it.

Thanks Peter.  I have recently received a Sean Jacobs DC4 and am running one rail to the SonicTransporter.  The EtherREGEN is also temporarily being powered by the DC4, while I await PF Buffalo coming.  My system currently sounds the best I have experienced with it.  I actually anticipate it may improve additionally as is.  My prior experiences with power supplies have shown improvement as they stay on and accumulate some playing hours. 

I have a tendency to continue to pursue for awhile additional equipment changes once I have purchased something new.   Admittedly, some have been lateral changes, resulting in different but modest upgrade changes.  Other times with a change,  the perceived reality of the presentation dramatically has shifted, and I am somewhat stunned on how much better the system sounds to me.  

The SonicTransporter has been good to me.  In the past, I have not pursued server changes unless equipment failure or obsolescence forced the issue.  Curiosity, not necessity, is driving my interest in possible  change to servers--that and doing too much reading of audio forums ;-}   

The PF Buffalo is a modified Buffalo 2016 switch.   Modifications can include a capacitor board, upgrade internal wire, chasis dampening, upgrade isolation feet and with the PF modification,  addition of a Pink Faun Ultra OCXO Clock, and addition of DC connection for powering the clock.   

Some users have experimented with multiple Buffalo switches as well as with and without EtherREGEN.  UpTone recommends EtherREGEN as last device and short distance before player or DAC.  Some users are adding external clocks to their EtherREGENs as well.  

The EtherREGEN has a nice clock, but not the level of the Pink Faun Ultra OCXO.  I do not intend to pursue multiple Buffalo switches, and at this point do not intend to connect external clock to the EtherREGEN.  I intend to initially run the PF Buffalo singularly, and once it has some initial hours, and I am familiar with the changes it provides to my system, will do some evaluating of adding the EtherREGEN back into the system--after the PF Buffalo, immediately prior to the PF Buffalo and further up the chain post router.  I may also test variations involving fiber vs copper in various configurations as well.  

13 minutes ago, further said:

The PF Buffalo is a modified Buffalo 2016 switch.   Modifications can include a capacitor board, upgrade internal wire, chasis dampening, upgrade isolation feet and with the PF modification,  addition of a Pink Faun Ultra OCXO Clock, and addition of DC connection for powering the clock.   

Some users have experimented with multiple Buffalo switches as well as with and without EtherREGEN.  UpTone recommends EtherREGEN as last device and short distance before player or DAC.  Some users are adding external clocks to their EtherREGENs as well.  

The EtherREGEN has a nice clock, but not the level of the Pink Faun Ultra OCXO.  I do not intend to pursue multiple Buffalo switches, and at this point do not intend to connect external clock to the EtherREGEN.  I intend to initially run the PF Buffalo singularly, and once it has some initial hours, and I am familiar with the changes it provides to my system, will do some evaluating of adding the EtherREGEN back into the system--after the PF Buffalo, immediately prior to the PF Buffalo and further up the chain post router.  I may also test variations involving fiber vs copper in various configurations as well.  

I spoke to Jord also about sending my Melco switch in for the upgrade heard nothing but good about his upgrades . 

4A37274C-6123-4DA1-877E-D69F4B56D311.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2020 at 8:35 PM, wklie said:

The key point is that you must not form a network loop, this may bring down the whole network.

Without considering your next upgrade for the switch, I think you can try these two connections and see which sounds better to you.

1. Main switch or router - (network cable) - K40 RJ45 input - K40 RJ45 output - (network cable) - EtherREGEN B side - EtherREGEN SFP - (fiber) - X1 SFP

2. Main switch or router - (network cable) - K40 RJ45 input - K40 RJ45 output - (unshielded CAT 6) - X1 RJ45

What is the difference between "network cable" and "unshielded CAT 6"?

14 hours ago, wklie said:

Merely want to emphasize that part of the connection has to be unshielded.

As far as I could see, Antipodes philosophy boils down to two things: bandwidth and noise. They say that if noise is somewhere on the path it is already too late. Allegedly, they say that in order to fix that noise people put filters, but filters will limit the bandwidth. They also say LPS are good but are lazy compared to switching power supplies so they opt for hybrid approach, LPS and switching.

If that is true (I have no way of knowing nor I will ever have), then the following would be the Antipodes recommended approach:

main switch or router---eth cable---Antipodes server--low noise direct eth cable---Antipodes streamer---eth cable---X1 RJ45

There is a galvanic isolation between Antipodes server and streamer parts. It sounds like EtherRegen is also a filter so it should not be in the path, just pure bandwidth end to end. Now when you say unshielded you probably want air as dielectric since it is the best dielectric there is, with lowest capacitance possible? Maybe something like Inakustik 10Gbps cat7/cat6 cables?