IGNORED

Master Clock for your EtherREGEN

4 minutes ago, MartinT said:

I installed a heatsink and then put a door stopper on top. Keeps the ER cool and the door stopper stops the fins from resonating.

Ah. Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I see now from year earlier pic they are raised up ... what’s the rectangular thing in between?

James

Intel NUC 8i7BEH (Roon Rock) --> M1 Mac Mini (HQPlayer) --> English Electric 8 Switch --> Sonore Optical Module --> Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Giesemann Emperor Double Crown Clock --> Holo Audio Red (NAA)  --> Holo Audio May KTE DAC --> Holo Audio Serene Preamp --> JL Audio CR-1 Crossover --> [ (Parasound JC 1+ Monoblocks --> Monitor Audio Platinum PL 300 II Speakers) + JL Audio f113v2 Subwoofer ]

3 minutes ago, MarkusBarkus said:

Yes, sir: search the threads a bit. This topic seems to rise and fall like the tides. A warm or bit-more-than a bit warm is

normal, by all accounts.

When I first put mine in, I did all kinds of temp, ambient temp, and RH readings. It doesn't impact sound. Feel free to have fun though.

The only thing I think is helpful, if not weighting it a bit, is getting one of those laptop clamp stands to position it vertically, if the cables are lifting it, etc. Cheers... 

Hi there. Sure thing not worried about the temp but since i want to add weight to hold down the ER i don't want to make it any hotter .. so will likely use a heat sink + weight like MartinT. Still deciding ....

Best, James

Intel NUC 8i7BEH (Roon Rock) --> M1 Mac Mini (HQPlayer) --> English Electric 8 Switch --> Sonore Optical Module --> Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Giesemann Emperor Double Crown Clock --> Holo Audio Red (NAA)  --> Holo Audio May KTE DAC --> Holo Audio Serene Preamp --> JL Audio CR-1 Crossover --> [ (Parasound JC 1+ Monoblocks --> Monitor Audio Platinum PL 300 II Speakers) + JL Audio f113v2 Subwoofer ]

7 minutes ago, MartinT said:

Granite coaster.  Not sure what you call them in the US, you put them under a glass.

Ah ok thanks. I'm a Brit 🇬🇧 i just live here ... Best, James

52 minutes ago, LewinskiH01 said:

I'm reading up this thread with much interest.

Back in page 21 YY posted about Merging NADAC needing a 625kHz clock input and it seemed the 10MHz wouldn't work for him and he would need a frequency-adjustable unit. But the quoted post mentions a Horus used with a 10MHz clock with apparently good results. So would the BG7TBL 10MHz OCXO discussed in this thread work with a Horus?

I'm waiting for HamRadioshop to get these back in stock to get one. At a minimum it should improve the eR. If it can also improve the DAC...that would be even sweeter.

Hi there, could it perhaps be that the Studer is fed a 10MHz Master clock and that it generates a Word Clock for the Merging Horus? Best, James

16 minutes ago, LewinskiH01 said:

Mmm...not sure what this means. What is the Studer?

Regards

They make mixing consoles and other signal processing equipment such as word clock distributors for studios and control rooms. Pro stuff.

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

A very good question. I was trying to avoid USB to SPDIF converter. As it can also output I2S. 
A DCC could probably be anything that converts or recloock a digital signal ?
D=Digital C=Converter

So I’m missing on one C 😀

Here is a manufacturer using DCC

https://www.denafrips.com/ddc

DDC not DC or DCC.

DDC = Digital To Digital Converter

In the case of their best DDC, the  Denafrips Gaia, it is designed to work in conjunction with their Terminator series DAC from which it is fed two word clock signals.

James

1 hour ago, PYP said:

from that same quote regarding "flipping" the eR:  

"Whether this is going to be audible, who knows. Remember all the decrease in leakage and external phase noise is still there."

... yes indeed, you win big with the ER whichever way round it is 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, soares said:

I have the same here. Not sure how it compares to the DAPU, but I am quite happy with the results. It would be great to have its specs notably phase noise.

Hi there same as the DAPU. There is also a link to the specs. James

5 hours ago, LowMidHigh said:

Belden 4694 for example. (I'm waiting for some data from Canare regarding thier HD cables)

According to John, a flatter the curve the better. What I did was to calculate the slopes between the sample points provided by the manufacturers and compare. (Y2 - Y1) / (X2 - Y2).

Belden published more points, but they don't exactly overlap Canare's. I did compensate with any extrapolation, rather did my best to lay them as close as possible.

The resultant figures are in radii and multiplied by 100 to assist the eye in discerning the differences. 

See attached spreadsheet. 

As you can view in the spread, the 77S has flatter slopes than the other stranded cables (Furutech slopes are abysmal). Belden beats it by a nice margine. 

Slopes.xlsx 10.23 kB · 9 downloads

Checkout Belden 4794R

https://catalog.belden.com/techdata/EN/4794R_techdata.pdf

https://www.amazon.com/UHD-SDI-Cable-12G-SDI-Custom-Connection/dp/B06XSLRYVV

Best,

James

1 hour ago, scolley said:

And astute observation by @superdad. But I would offer - in my limited experience - that if the cables themselves are given some freedom of movement - good cables with RollerBalls under the DAC is still a killer combination.

Would it be better with limber cables that still provided great shielding? How could it not? But it’s still a sonically wonderful compromise.

Well put.

I have a question in to Geistnote to confirm, but I suspect the Apogee Wideeye Clock Cable is composed of dual-shielded coax. I’ll report back.

If anyone has another suggestion for a reasonably flexible sine-wave clock cable, I’m all ears!

Phase noise matters.

I’ll posit, but I’m not in position to test this, that the measured phase noise of the LB clock might be a lot better than advertised.

Such was the case I recall with the sample of Crystal CCHD-575 oscillators tested for use in the ER.

These advertised numbers are really a worst case guarantee.

When you purchase an OXCO e.g from AfterDark, or Cybershaft, each one is measured and binned accordingly. You get a certificate with test results for that oscillator. You aren’t going to get something more than like a dBc or two off from what you pay for else it would be in the adjacent bin.

16 minutes ago, Mihaylov said:

Sorry but it's measured phase noise of the LB clock:

7E8142CF-C3C5-4F46-AC06-EC5174CBE24E.thumb.jpeg.47f796980ad266bf4e78439ac8053b92.jpeg

The measured value is only slightly better than stated.

And, of course, no TCXO compares to OCXO in terms of phase noise. Let me remind you of the real measurements Morion MV197, BG7TBL and AfterDark. Here

Hi there, yes I saw that graph too (I'll be diplomatic and just say it is less than impressive) , but it is for one particular measured oscillator and we don't have the graphs for others -  I was just wondering if they might be better ..