IGNORED

Master Clock for your EtherREGEN

I agree too. I am still using a 50 Ohm cable, would like to try the 75Ohm one soon, to see how much gain is available from impedance matching?

I wonder if It would also be worthwhile to use the two other output for clocking other things, say the DAC, Sadly my Lampi GG does not support this....

BG7TBL.jpg

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

24 minutes ago, zerung said:

I agree too. I am still using a 50 Ohm cable, would like to try the 75Ohm one soon, to see how much gain is available from impedance matching?

I wonder if It would also be worthwhile to use the two other output for clocking other things, say the DAC, Sadly my Lampi GG does not support this....

BG7TBL.jpg

BTW the connector is still 50 Ohm.

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

23 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

I can tell you what happens technically with the waveforms on the wire, but how that shows up as sound difference is  a completely different issue.

Every time you have an impedance mismatch there will be a reflection, the bigger the mismatch the bigger the reflection. The worst thing is a mismatch at both ends, this causes multiple reflections, each edge bounces back and forth, this is can definitely cause problems with reception of  signal. If say the source is matched (50 ohm electronics, 50 ohm connector, 50 ohm cable) but the receive side is mismatched, each edge will reflect at the mismatch back towards the source. But since the source is properly matched that reflection gets absorbed by the proper impedance match.

So if a clock box has proprer electronics and connectors and cable, a mismatch at the receive end probably will not make too much of  a difference. The edge bouncing off the receive end and winding up at the source can cause some distortions at the source itself, but how much and what they look like vary wildly from design to design.

John S.

Thank you @JohnSwenson It looks like this is the way to go, provided the design both ends is correct

49 minutes ago, MartinT said:

I now have a set of 75 ohm connectors to install.  I will then need to find how the oven output reaches the connectors.  It may be a simple resistor change, I don't know yet as I've been unable to find a circuit diagram.  If in doubt, I'll leave it alone as it sounds very good already but I will change the connectors.

@MartinT I understand from the seller that this is a 50 Ohm output impedance. That you will need a resistor or something to change the fixed output. 

Are you using any of your variable output for other uses?

• 2 weeks later...

16 minutes ago, MartinT said:

What I hear is a very low noise floor, deep soundstage with micro-detail, huge ambience and note decay (this latter a revelation in my system), natural 'shape' to notes, for instance guitar strings, highly focused vocals and an easy, liquid flow to the music while remaining highly dynamic with impressive attack and slam.  Steely Dan never sounded so good!

@MartinT is this after the conversion of the clock to 75 Ohm? Incidentally the seller from Taobao is willing to change the system to use the Morion Clock and also change the connector to 75 Ohm, etc.

16 hours ago, lwr said:

Can you provide the contact information for "the seller from Taobao" and how one goes about special ordering "the change to use the Morion Clock and also change the connector to 75 ohm, etc."   Thanks

@lwr Here you go. https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z09.2.0.0.13a42e8dfRSJG8&id=574999325376&_u=iq09tfsf69e

I am assuming he can? 

I needed two with variable output.

He is having trouble sourcing a 75Ohm BNC binding post that will fit his circuit board. 

7 hours ago, MartinT said:

That's the frequency adjustable model.  Can they not provide 75 ohms in the fixed model, like mine?

You want the least complexity inside that you can go for.

He can.

1 hour ago, MartinT said:

Try both the sinewave and squarewave outputs into the ER and let me know what you think.  Don't forget to power up the ER after you're changed the switch to external clock.

Is that an external filter? I am not sure how to do this? As far as I know this only come with square wave as a standard

Mine is two variable, one fixed, all square wave. Which is what I would prefer. But the sine wave sound like a good experiment.

So for me I will need a hardware filter....oh! Well!

On 6/19/2020 at 10:50 PM, Savolax said:

Then again, I am open to hear any experience would ER make any sense when I'm using PC and it's USB out (JCAT USB FEMTO) to play music without ethernet streaming/NAS devices? 

With my system, the ER and the clock make an alarming upgrade. If I might,  a point of debate, the Jcat Femto is still the bottleneck - you have ordered the XE, that will make a greater complete chain.....I think the synergy of those two will give you want you want.

@MartinT  He has it now and assembling some for me.

For (My) Ref. 

DAPU O55A  (Frequency range 5.00MHz ~ 40.00MHz) Offset Noise at 10Hz -125dBc/Hz, Single Oven
MORION 89A (Frequency range 4.096 MHz ~ 10 MHz)  Offset Noise at 10Hz-155Dbc/Hz,   Double Oven 

7 hours ago, Superdad said:

Sorry, but you are reading the Morion datasheet incorrectly.

That -155dBc/Hz figure is at 10,000 Hz not 10Hz.  And it is for a 5MHz clock.

For a given construction the phase-noise generally worsens by 6dB per octave of fundamental. 
The MV89 datasheet shows 10Hz typical phase-noise as -130dBc/Hz for a 5MHz clock. So that will be about -124 for a 10MHz sample.

Basically the same as the DAPU (Which from the BG7TBL guy are for certain surplus pulled from 4G towers.)

https://www.morion-us.com/catalog_pdf/mv89.pdf

-155dBc/Hz at 10Hz from a 10MHz clock?  You’d have to pay at least $1,000, order 10 pieces and wait 20 weeks. x-D

Oops. Missed the 'M'. Thanks for the education @Superdad

Good to be humbled!

I do have the DAPU  and now waiting for the Morion.

The education made me realise that it could be a great Zoom idea to have a global sharing of your products.....tweaks, etc.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, LowMidHigh said:

.........especially since the upgameship of the East has profoundly affected people's outlook nowadays.

@LowMidHigh  That statement....care to expand your views?

10 minutes ago, LowMidHigh said:

This is solely my observation and opinion and reflects no prejudice whatsoever.

I reside in Thailand and I run into many people from Chinese, Hong Kong and Taiwan. I also read English issued Chinese publications. There’s a palpable sprit of competition on their behalf, with the aim of superseding anything that is western. Think China 2025. It’s a fascinating and foreboding process that stokes chauvinism and involves politics, big industry, commerce, education and culture perceptions, all which are beyond the scope of our discussion. What’s germane is that oriental consumers—in our case a Hong Kong based forum—are likely to show preference to the Japanese Cybershaft over the German Mutec. 

@LowMidHigh Sorry I dont buy this.

You need to be careful with your views.

I live in HK and if anything, there is a strong bias towards European things....(which is definitely changing), if anything else. Which to me is based on an individual preference, driven by analytical analysis of sound (Using the instruments on the sides of ones head) and not necessary objective inference based on a  test data's....

To push the whole of Asia off the map with a swathe of your 'Non Prejudicial' statement is alarming.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/28/2020 at 3:31 AM, Superdad said:

Yep, -125dBc/Hz @10Hz--same as the DAPU.  Remember folks, the only reason these units are as inexpensive as they are is because they use surplus OCXOs pulled from 4G cell tower gear.

With 5G explosion, I would assume there will be many more units soon on the market. The seller got his from ZTE (That is what he said).

Just as vacuum tubes were plentiful in early 80's and the Japanese started to hoard them, till it went crazy priced in the late 90's....I wonder if these clock will be considered to be a heirloom? Or not?

Further these clock specifically mentions for 4G applications....I do wonder are the 5G clocks different?