IGNORED

CD ripping weirdness - can't figure this out :(

kirbydoo

Question

Hi all,

I am experiencing issues with my CD rips. My disc drive is reading discs at the wrong index points. My drive’s read offset is apparently +6. I’ve asked the people at the dbpoweramp forums about this and the ultimate conclusion of my thread was that they don’t know what’s up and I should buy another drive and experiment with it to see if this happens.

I’ve noticed that on gapless albums or albums with very few or no zero samples between tracks, part of a previous track will be at the beginning of a new track, therefore making for an unpleasant beginning to a song. In some instances, it is quite apparent, and in others, it is subtle, but it’s noticeable to me and I want to fix it. Apparently, I’m not supposed to be able to hear the effects of my read offset no matter how high or low the value is.

I have provided below some audio snippets to give you a clear example of what I’m dealing with. If possible, you should listen with headphones to get the best idea of what is happening. The first snippet is a recording of playback from Spotify, which has the correct starting and ending points for songs because the music on there is not from a CD rip. The second snippet is from one of my rips. You can clearly hear what sounds like a pop at the beginning of the song, but that is just part of the song that came before it being attached to its beginning.

Spotify - Train Wreck Spotify.wav

My rip -Train Wreck CD Rip.wav

Here is another example -

Spotify - Enya Spotify.wav

My rip - Enya CD Rip.wav

I’ve found a few other threads on various sites that prove other people are dealing with this but I’m not 100% sold on the idea that there is little I can do about it.

To quote a thread from Audio Asylum -

Accurate Rip rips are simply not accurate. If the term "accurate" translates to "1:1 copies".

This is not a question or questionable. It's a fact (if you followed that discussion with EAC designer Wiethoff).

Parts of one track get attached to another track. That's a flaw. It's as simple as that. If there's any audible impact is a different question.

ACR produces "identical" rips. In doing this ACR is pretty consistent though. Obviously "identical" doesn't necessarily mean "accurate".

It's up 2 you to simply ignore it.

I bet. It's gonna be bugging "the perfectionists" around. FMAK confirmed it already.

And it's bugging me, since I was always assuming the rips were "accurate" - as the name suggests.

Does anyone know what is causing this? I should mention that my rips are being reported as accurate. Help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

19 answers to this question

55 minutes ago, kirbydoo said:

Hi all,

I am experiencing issues with my CD rips. My disc drive is reading discs at the wrong index points. My drive’s read offset is apparently +6. I’ve asked the people at the dbpoweramp forums about this and the ultimate conclusion of my thread was that they don’t know what’s up and I should buy another drive and experiment with it to see if this happens.

I’ve noticed that on gapless albums or albums with very few or no zero samples between tracks, part of a previous track will be at the beginning of a new track, therefore making for an unpleasant beginning to a song. In some instances, it is quite apparent, and in others, it is subtle, but it’s noticeable to me and I want to fix it. Apparently, I’m not supposed to be able to hear the effects of my read offset no matter how high or low the value is.

I have provided below some audio snippets to give you a clear example of what I’m dealing with. If possible, you should listen with headphones to get the best idea of what is happening. The first snippet is a recording of playback from Spotify, which has the correct starting and ending points for songs because the music on there is not from a CD rip. The second snippet is from one of my rips. You can clearly hear what sounds like a pop at the beginning of the song, but that is just part of the song that came before it being attached to its beginning.

Spotify - Train Wreck Spotify.wav

My rip -Train Wreck CD Rip.wav

Here is another example -

Spotify - Enya Spotify.wav

My rip - Enya CD Rip.wav

I’ve found a few other threads on various sites that prove other people are dealing with this but I’m not 100% sold on the idea that there is little I can do about it.

To quote a thread from Audio Asylum -

Accurate Rip rips are simply not accurate. If the term "accurate" translates to "1:1 copies".

This is not a question or questionable. It's a fact (if you followed that discussion with EAC designer Wiethoff).

Parts of one track get attached to another track. That's a flaw. It's as simple as that. If there's any audible impact is a different question.

ACR produces "identical" rips. In doing this ACR is pretty consistent though. Obviously "identical" doesn't necessarily mean "accurate".

It's up 2 you to simply ignore it.

I bet. It's gonna be bugging "the perfectionists" around. FMAK confirmed it already.

And it's bugging me, since I was always assuming the rips were "accurate" - as the name suggests.

Does anyone know what is causing this? I should mention that my rips are being reported as accurate. Help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Why not try E.A.C after calibrating to your drive and see f you have the same problems ?

Don't assume either that Spotify is an accurate rip of the original tracks !!!

e.g.  https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/58862-web-rip-vs-cd-rip/?tab=comments#comment-1044123

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

10 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Why not try E.A.C after calibrating to your drive and see f you have the same problems ?

Don't assume either that Spotify is an accurate rip of the original tracks !!!

e.g.  https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/58862-web-rip-vs-cd-rip/?tab=comments#comment-1044123

Do you mean manually change the EAC offset and see what happens?

Also, thank you for showing me that thread. Interesting how streaming services may not always be 100% reliable when it comes to sound quality/accuracy.

8 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Did you set the offset manually?

I have never once messed with any of the offset settings and have also never had a problem with my rips.

I had it automatically detected in dbpoweramp and EAC and confirmed it was correct in the drive database (50 other people have the same offset for my drive).

I honestly think my drive is weird.

27 minutes ago, kirbydoo said:

I had it automatically detected in dbpoweramp and EAC and confirmed it was correct in the drive database (50 other people have the same offset for my drive).

I honestly think my drive is weird.

OK, How long have you had this drive? has it always done this?

No electron left behind.

1 hour ago, kirbydoo said:

Do you mean manually change the EAC offset and see what happens?

Also, thank you for showing me that thread. Interesting how streaming services may not always be 100% reliable when it comes to sound quality/accuracy.

No. I mean let EAC do the calibration .

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

1 hour ago, AudioDoctor said:

OK, How long have you had this drive? has it always done this?

It’s the same drive that came with the computer when it was built back in 2011. It has always done this and it’s only been since recently that I’ve really noticed it and decided to research it.

7 minutes ago, kirbydoo said:

It’s the same drive that came with the computer when it was built back in 2011. It has always done this and it’s only been since recently that I’ve really noticed it and decided to research it.

I see, It very well could be a wacky drive then. Easiest fix would be to get an external drive and see if that does the same thing. If it doesn't, use it!

No electron left behind.

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

No. I mean let EAC do the calibration .

You know, it’s been so long since I did that. I’m gonna try to do it again tomorrow. Supposedly, you need 3 CDs to confirm the offset. I don’t remember using 3 different discs. I set everything up back in 2013. I’m curious, though, how my rips would come out as accurate if my offset is incorrectly calibrated?

10 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I see, It very well could be a wacky drive then. Easiest fix would be to get an external drive and see if that does the same thing. If it doesn't, use it!

That seems to be what most people are suggesting to me. I am going to try to confirm my offset and down the road I will possibly get a new drive. I’m assuming that connecting a USB disc drive to my PC is just a matter of me overriding my existing drive without physically removing it?

42 minutes ago, kirbydoo said:

You know, it’s been so long since I did that. I’m gonna try to do it again tomorrow. Supposedly, you need 3 CDs to confirm the offset. I don’t remember using 3 different discs. I set everything up back in 2013. I’m curious, though, how my rips would come out as accurate if my offset is incorrectly calibrated?

On second thought, this doesn’t make sense because I’ve already verified that my offset is +6 in the offset database. Sorry for being confusing. :/ I am just trying to think of different things I could do.

On 4/25/2020 at 11:53 PM, AudioDoctor said:

No over riding needed, it will be available as a separate drive and I am sure your PC will recognize it and the disc inside it just fine.

Okay, thanks. I will probably try this down the road. It seems to be my only option.

On 4/27/2020 at 12:41 PM, kirbydoo said:

Okay, thanks. I will probably try this down the road. It seems to be my only option.

You can get an external DVD reader/player for about $20.  If you have a lot of CDs to rip there was someone here (sorry, can't remember who it was to give full credit!) who hooked up a hub and a bunch of drives so he could rip a bunch of CDs at the same time.

16 hours ago, kirbydoo said:

Thank you. I will look for a decent one online.

Be sure that its a USB3 drive... the USB2 ones are slow. If your machine doesn't have USB3 and is a tower case/ not a laptop,

you may want to just replace the internal drive which should be SATA 2 speed

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

10 hours ago, davide256 said:

Be sure that its a USB3 drive... the USB2 ones are slow. If your machine doesn't have USB3 and is a tower case/ not a laptop,

You guys.  Always willing to help out a stranger.  You guys rock.

12 hours ago, davide256 said:

This is important to note. Thank you.