IGNORED

Can isoregen be used in case of External hdd to server

Hi,

My setup includes using an hdd docking bay to play my music files by sending them to a music server then from the server streaming through a linn system. Both the server and usb docking station are powered by external power supply. Can an isoregen be used between docking bay and server and will it make any appreciable difference. Also, how important is the quality of usb cable from docking bay to server. Does the server need the 5volt signal from the usb cable even though docking bay is powered by external supply I.e. in order to negotiate the initial handshake of device to server—— I’m asking this because I might want to use a data only usb cable in this application but not sure if it will work. If it doesn’t work, would a dual headed usb cable work i.e. once handshake made unplug power cable from server. Any suggestions on usb cable to use—- linn system is very musical, fast and agile with great transient response, accurate, transparent, detailed, highly resolving without the top end sounding etched or harsh or digital in any way and it delivers strong dynamics and toe tapping rhythm. Sound staging is good but not a strength and system is super controlled but tends slightly to the dry side. Thanks in advance for considering my questions. 

Ron

On 4/11/2020 at 3:24 PM, ikemi said:

My setup includes using an hdd docking bay to play my music files by sending them to a music server then from the server streaming through a linn system. Both the server and usb docking station are powered by external power supply. Can an isoregen be used between docking bay and server and will it make any appreciable difference.

Hi Ron:

We do not think that the ISO REGEN will be of benefit between your hard drives and music server.  The ISO REGEN is of benefit to the USB inputs of DACs.  

If I had time I could go into a long explanation of the how/why of all that, but it won't change the answer much.  Feel free to telephone some time. There may be other things you can do to enhance your digital music playback system.

Thanks and regards,

--Alex C.

I think this is a great question.... how to get xTB of cheap storage that sounds good without doing the Ethernet/switch/NAS thing ...

I am using an original Intona Industrial isolator between a HDD docking bay and a control PC.

This works fine, but I think the isolator needs to be bi-directional, maybe Alex can comment.

I am not sure if the Intona helps much for SQ, but after the Intona, I am using a Matrix element H Hi-Fi USB 3.0 Interface Pcie card and I am pretty sure that helps (I compared with/without the Matrix, but not with/without the Intona).

The docking bay is powered by LT3045 x 4 regulator after LPS and the Matrix by LPS.

This docking bay/isolator/Matrix card sounds better to me than an internal SSD, powered by LT3045 LPS.