IGNORED

Train Music!

7 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

it's hard to understand the interest in finding obscure blues artists, especially since the train theme is present permanently in this genre, and hundreds if not thousands of examples can be found without much difficulty. Why not turn to truly great musicians, such as Grateful Dead. Mentioned Casey Jones already. What else we could find?

For me, sharing/celebration of "great musicians" is just under half the fun with these Theme threads.

What's just over half is the discovery of something amazing I didn't already know. I'm still reeling with gratitude to Tom aka @DuckToller for Dead Moon's "Walking On My Grave" [cf. Moon Music thread]. I'm not sure Dead Moon are by all accounts "great musicians", but they sure got my mojo working 😉

Yann Tiersen - Le Train ...

[NB! If you haven't heard it yet - please check out Yann Tiersen's music for the Film "Amélie" - in particular the track "La Valse D'Amélie (piano version)".]

edit: dammit here's the link:

The ripped CD sounds freakin' awesome on my system - a "test" track for sure ...

1 hour ago, sphinxsix said:

I tend to agree with @christopher3393 What would rock in general be without those 'obscure blues musicians' and consequently rhythm'n'blues.? IMO it's simply unimaginable.

Let's play some rock train music then..

I love their hair on this cover photo, I guess they sticked their heads out of the train window..B|

An express version from by Jools Holland (from England)..

1. I've already posted this very video and 5 other versions by SRT:

Hence:

3. Get out of this train!   :)

Agree on every count! 

18 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

Blues is limited in its expressive means to two or three themes (as trains, for example), manic-depressive transitions between irrepressible longing and suspicious overexcitement, and a scarce musical arsenal. Fortunately, in other places one can find free, healthy and natural expression of the train theme: 

I was just playing this on my phone. My wife started singing along to it. (She is a gifted soprano.) I said, oh do you know it. She said we used to do this in our ladies' choir. I said well is it about trains. She said that [i.e. referring to your post] sounded like a train, but when we did it it didn't - it just sounded like a ladies choir!

I looked it up. Transport to diamond mines. "2nd National Anthem" of South Africa. Thanks

18 minutes ago, christopher3393 said:

Recorded Circa 1958...Let's hear from yodeling Texas Kitty Prins... from Groningen NL!

Texas Kitty - The Mule Train Yodel Blues [ed. mule train has not yet a certified "train" by OP: proceed with caution.]

Texas Kitty - De spooktrein [certfied kosher]

lol yep mule "train" is an easy pass ...

57 minutes ago, Iving said:

If anybody posts a video of themselves playing Train Music on a guitar I will send them money.

23 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

Ok.. lets get to business now.. how much.? :D

Well I knew somebody would ask this question. I need to blend in a couple of caveats. First - I am an impoverished individual roiling in the twilight zone between pasture and pensionable retirement. Second - what if the world and his wife signed up? ... so I must be careful of setting a reckless precedent.

So my proposal is this:

- $0.01 for sticking to theme or topic - it must be you and you must be a member of AS - it must be a video - it must be Train Music - you must be playing a guitar - and you must be the performer - you yourself and not an impersonator or impostor - so that's 1c already;

- between $0.99 and $9.99 for quality of performance - entirely at my own discretion. The criterion is mojo. If you give me appreciable goosebumps, I shall tender the full amount;

- a bonus of $1 if you do good train rhythm section without additional accompaniment.

In the final analysis, I figure that you would do something like this purely out of love - or for music's sake if nothing else. So I would be pretty surprised if anybody really expected me to pay. I mean come on. We are all here for love and music right? Only the purest of motives can satisfy. We all know that in our innermost selves. Let's be the best that we can be.

🙂

12 minutes ago, christopher3393 said:

speaking of dead things:

Garcia on the Festival Express:
"That was the best time I've had in rock and roll. It was our train, it was the musicians' train. There were no straight people. There wasn't any show biz bullshit. There weren't any fans, there were nothing but musicians on the train. So immediately we started pulling furniture out of the two club cars and putting amplifiers and drums in. Jam sessions all the way across Canada, man. Played music all the way across Canada, and we juiced. Everybody juiced because nobody brought dope into Canada, everybody was chickenshit. [It lasted] about five days, six days maybe, but it was really fucking fun. Everybody got to be such good friends in that little world. It was like a musicians' convention with no public allowed... You name it, we did it. We had every conceivable kind of configuration that you could imagine, man. We had singers, lots of singers on the train, all kinds of trips. The most incredible combination of voices, like Delaney and Bonnie and Janis with Buddy Guy singing together, or Bonnie and Buddy Guy, or... Oh hey, man, there was one jam session with Ian and Sylvia and the Great Speckled Bird, me and Weir from our band, Rick Danko, Delaney and Bonnie and Eric Andersen... They got it all down on film. It'll really be far out." (from the Jazz&Pop interview, Feb '71)

...and...

Lesh wrote in his book:
"We received an offer to play three days of a 'Trips Festival' in Vancouver, British Columbia. It seemed like a good opportunity to bring our music to a new audience... Since we couldn't afford to fly, the band took the train, leaving Oakland one morning and arriving the next day, while the gear drove up in a truck. While on the train, we took smoke breaks in the only place where we could have a little privacy: the open vestibule between the cars. At one point, we were standing out there entranced by the rhythm of the wheels clickety-clacking over the welds in the rails; Billy and I looked at each other and just knew - we simultaneously burst out, 'We can play this!' This later turned into Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks)... Based on the train rhythm, it had only one chord and was played at blistering tempo...
At the next moment, the train lurched, and Jerry, who was standing near the exit, lost his footing and started to fall! Outward! Quick as a mongoose, Bobby reached out and grabbed his shirt, pulling him back into the car just as another train roared past in the opposite direction at a closing speed of what seemed like 200 miles per hour. Whew!"

Let's throw CAUTION to the wind!

Caution (Do Not Stop on Tracks) (1968 Mix) (2017 Remaster) · Grateful Dead   Anthem of the Sun [warning: may induce flashbacks]

Far out

But no really - I can hear those voices on that train - those gifted singers high on the occasion - musta been something ...