IGNORED

Train Music!

6 hours ago, christopher3393 said:

Looks like lving, our OP, is no longer among the cyber living here at AS. Don't know what happened, but here's to him, may he be well and continue to share music.

Charles Ives: The Celestial Railroad (1925)

a little backstory: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Celestial_Railroad

Symphony No. 4: II. Comedy (Allegretto) [aka The Celestial Railroad]

More backstory - literary: https://harpers.org/2010/09/hawthorne-the-celestial-railroad/

Even mo' betta backstory! - musical guide: https://ives-fourth-symphony.com/articles/the-program-of-movement-ii-the-celestial-railroad

I'd like to join Christopher with these wishes, all the best @Iving wherever you go!

4 hours ago, christopher3393 said:

I once tried this, think it's interesting.

Holosync - Centerpointe

I can only do what I always did on this thread..

Obviously a joke, let's get serious..

• 10 months later...
5 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

I think it's high time to reactivate this train music thread B|

The earliest known example of "This Train" is a recording by Florida Normal and Industrial Institute Quartette (barber-shop act who sang the song a cappella) from 1922, under the title "Dis Train".[3] Another one of the earliest recordings of the song is the version made by Wood's Blind Jubilee Singers in August 1925 under the title "This Train Is Bound for Glory". Between 1926 and 1931, three other black religious groups recorded it. During a visit to the Parchman Farm state penitentiary in Mississippi in 1933, Smithsonian Institution musicologist John A. Lomax and his son Alan made a field recording of the song by black inmate Walter McDonald. The next year the song found its way into print for the first time in the Lomaxes' American Folk Songs and Ballads anthology and was subsequently included in Alan Lomax's 1960 anthology Folk Songs of North America.[2]

In 1935, the first hillbilly recording of the song was released by Tennessee Ramblers as "Dis Train" in reference to the song's black roots.[2] Then in the late 1930s, after becoming the first black artist to sign with a major label, gospel singer and guitarist Sister Rosetta Tharpe recorded "This Train" as a hit for Decca. Her later version of the song, released by Decca in the early 1950s, featured Tharpe on electric guitar and is cited[by whom?] as one of several examples of her work that led to the emergence of rock 'n roll.

In 1955, the song, with altered lyrics, became a popular single for blues singer-harmonica player Little Walter Jacobs as "My Babe". This secular adaptation has since become a rock standard recorded by many artists, including Dale Hawkins, Bo Diddley, Cliff Richard (three times), and the Remains.

Florida Normal and Industrial Institute Quartette - 'Dis Train', 1922.

Wood's Blind Jubilee Singers - "This Train Is Bound for Glory", 1925.

Absolutely first class post.

#3 gets me every time.

I am catapulted back to p.1 of the Thread. You asked for all instances of "This Train" to be reserved for you. As far as I recall your wish was granted.