IGNORED

Grimm Audio MU1 and MU2 Music Players

FredM

• 4 weeks later...

I have not received mine yet. Thanks for reminding me! I am going to call and find out what the eta is.

I am currently using a Pink Faun 3.16 to serve Roon via USB to my Gryphon Kalliope DAC. I was thinking of hooking the Pink Faun to an input on the MU1 and see how that sounds before setting up Roon on the MU1. Has anyone tried that? I have heard CD transports in particular are well served by the MU1 magical process.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, haltermr said:

I'm really enjoying my MU1, especially with classical. I also enjoy the functionality of the gold dial on top. It now controls my audio and video, and works very will in this regard. Curious what your guru at Kyomi thought, given he is an Aurender and Lumin dealer...

For me, I wanted to keep the Roon interface, but I wanted better sound. My audio guru swears by Aurender for sound, but the interface wasn't adequate for me....

He was familiar with Grimm and held their clocks in high regard. When I meantioned the MU1 to him he was under the impression that it had a built in DAC due to the FPGA inside. I pointed him at a few reviews and he contacted Grimm and ordered a unit for me. I let him spend time with it so he could hear it for himself. He loves what he heard and is ordering a few more.

I have been listening all day and I love what I am experiencing! The line “there is more there there” describes it. These Vivid Spirit speakers are painting on a very wide and tall canvas. Every song is a treat.

• 3 weeks later...

I have quite a few hours in with the latest update and I detect no degradation. Now let’s see what happens when the Roon update is released.

I have noticed that even though I have successfully programmed a remote to work with my MU1 the remote function fails after a short period of time and I have to reprogram it. I may try another remote but using one that is always handy seemed a better idea. Has anyone else experienced this?

• 2 months later...

I rip all my CDs with dBPoweramp on my computer and transfer copies of the files to the MU1. No issues, works fine. I have over 25,000 tracks I have done this in this way. Are you asking if I could directly rip to the MU1? I don’t see any reason that my computer couldn’t write them directly there either.

• 2 weeks later...

I using a Stealth Audio Octiva-T AES/EBU cable and a Dream 18 V18 UNI power cable for my MU1. These two cables together cost more than the MU1. But they don’t seem to hurt things. I have tried lesser cables and find I prefer these. I think it s common for gear manufacturers to say you don’t need nor will you benefit from expensive cables. Lots of people agree with this. Many of us believe otherwise. Find a friend who has better cables and see if they will let you try one to see. Or try the Cable Company lending library.

Or better still decide cables don’t make a difference and save your money.

I have found that cables can and do make a difference. I also believe the world is round for what it’s worth.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought my MU1 with the 8TB internal SSD. It is close to full. Lots of FLAC, AIFF, and DSD files. It sounds wonderful and in my opinion it betters the sound quality of streaming. I also have an external 2TB Samsung T7 SSD mounted via USB. It is easily disconnected and carried to my computer to add or revise music on it. It too sounds wonderful. Grimm decided to protect us from ourselves and make external drives read only. I have written to them and begged they change this. I want to be able to manage my external drives the same way I manage the internal SSD. They have replied they are considering this for a future update. I hope they do so.

The person who wrote that their dealer refuses to order an MU1 with and internal SSD needs to find a new dealer. My dealer does not have this silly condition. I would be happy to refer you to him.

I look forward to the day when a 16TB internal SSD becomes an option. I don’t need it now but I know I am almost out of space on my 8TB drive.

• 1 month later...

When I tested a DSD 256 recording with 1.4 I disabled upsampling and was sad to see my DAC was receiving a 176.4 stream. Upsampling didn’t change this of course. I had to go into Roon and change the settings for the MU1 from 128 to 256 being the upper limit. I couldn’t tell much of a difference with upsampling disabled, at 2x or 4x. But now that it is an arm chair issue to make the change I’ll spend more time with it and see if I can detect difference.

Now I want them to finally allow us to manage external drives from over the network, I.e. add and remove music without disconnecting the drive from the MU1 and carrying it to a computer.

And bring on the new music interface please!

Overall quite a stunning and welcome upgrade.

Sorry, no D&D 8C thoughts from me.  ;)

• 1 month later...
On 5/17/2022 at 3:17 AM, pvanosta said:

In the meantime, I looked at the Pink Faun webpage. Their 2.16 series appear to be streamers, not servers (in other words: they appear to have the same function as the MU1). Am I reading that wrong or do you have a different device?

They perform similarly. Pink Faun 2.16 devices can be Roon server and endpoint simultaneously, but PF says the preferred method is to use two, one for each task. In my system I was using one for both. Just like my MU1 which replaced it.

I know those things. My Pink Faun hasn’t been powered up since I bought the Grimm. So it is basically a time machine. I can add a lot of the missing music to it but I may not bother unless the results of the trial are very compelling. I like my current Grimm setup a great deal so my hope is I don’t hear a large difference. 

The Pink Faun has a 4TB SSD in it, the MU1 a nearly full 8TB SSD in it plus an external 1 TB SSD plugged into it. The library is so easy to work with on the Pink Faun due to the fact that the Pink Faun isn’t forced to protect me from myself by forcing all external drives to be Read Only.

So if I just log off Roon on the MU1 I might even enjoy the travel into the six or eight month in the past Roon setup. I’m guessing Roon and the Pink Faun will go through many updates before I hear what changes have been made since it’s last use. It is a largely automated process so no big deal. 

Pink Faun support is the very best I have ever encountered. It’s twice or maybe four times as good as second place. And if it doesn’t work, and I firmly believe it will, no big deal. I only have 8300 albums so the MU1 is always loafing. I am curious to hear how it sounds professionally loafing.

9 hours ago, soupcon said:

Better?

At the moment I believe the answer is yes. I don’t know what the NUC inside the MU1 would have to do when it is used as an endpoint only. Perhaps the extremely powerful and extremely well built power supplies in the Pink Faun make the ones and zeros sound better than the NUC can. 

I have the PF on one side of my clock enabled EtherREGEN and the MU1 on the other side. I kind of wish the EtherREGEN had Router capabilities.

• 3 weeks later...

So I had Jord from Pink Faun lay hands on my gear via remote access. He had me plug the Ethernet cable from the Grimm MU1 directly into the Pink Faun. A 15” long piece of expensive Ethernet cable. Then he told me to build a NAS. That seemed like a good idea so I did. So the Pink Faun is serving up Roon directly to the MU1. Reading 24.192 files off the NAS. It sounds swell. Soon I’ll use the MU1 on its own, first with the internal SSD, then with the NAS. If my current setup beats that I may buy a Pink Faun Ultra and maybe pass the MU1 down the line. But I am pretty confident the MU1 can do all this without help. Fun.

1 hour ago, pvanosta said:

Has anyone installed the new firmware 1.4.4 successfully? On mine (1.4.0), It does not seem to find the file (I am connected to the internet, via ethernet and the connection is active)

I installed on two machines. The first one got stuck on see you real soon. I waited 15 minutes and rebooted. Then I tried again and went to dinner. Hours later it was up and running. So for my second install I started it and went away. Hours later when I returned it was fine. No useful information can be gleaned from this but maybe hit the buttons and go away.

• 4 weeks later...