IGNORED

ALLO USBridge Signature and Digione Sig

Good Day:

Is there instructions for someone to take a Digione Sig and add it to USBridge Sig?

The existing instructions state to supply power to good side and power to the dirty side For Digi1. Yet your add on plate (for USBridge sig case) only provides external power to good side. Keeping existing power to USBridge Sig. I am assuming that you could power from the Pi or Dirty side power but obviously not both. Looking at build I can probably us existing hardware.

Would like to confirm method of powering device before proceeding

For a USBSig & DigiOneSig, you need to have the correct case, on the relevant page  on the allo.com site is a drop down for “USBridgeSig+DigiOne Sig”. Then you will find that the “dirty” supply is the USB-C, bottom left, and the “clean” supply is the barrel connector,  top right. 

Note that depending on the age of your existing DigiOneSig, you may have to short out a diode on the middle lower board of the DigOneSig (and if it’s really old, a diode on the top board). 

You could run the whole caboodle from a single power supply feeding both clean and dirty supplies, and indeed I did exactly that for a few months with a Cuinas Audio ISO-PS, and very fine it was

But for maximum benefit what you need is two isolated supplies: for example, your bog standard RPi supply for the dirty side and a separate “low noise” LPS or even batteries for the clean side, or a dedicated dual (isolated) output PS, such as Allo’s Shanti.

I run my USBSig+Digi1Sig+Shanti+Moode through Naim DC-1 BNC-BNC interconnect to a Naim DAC+XPS.

It is really rather good!

Yes have had my DigiOne Sig for a year, they sent me a plate with correct wiring as I bought USBridge sig only.

The wiring on plate I have also bypassed leaving the top off. (for troubleshooting)

I have Rcore LPS PS with two 5v3a outputs.

When I power the good side of Digione sig first, then power the USB C connector on plate only the USBridge comes up. The light also doesn't shine on DigiOne Sig. Guessing they will tell me to just power Compute from dirty side but want to confirm.

In meantime listening to some 5.1 flacs via HDMI odd it can't do 24bit over HDMI.

When I take Digione Sig and install back on Pi b (runs cooler) everything works fine.

I have a Rme Adi 2 DAC would like to compare sound of USB and SPDIF. .5 meter AQ Golden Gate or Monster M-850i handles analog from my dac

Right, this sounds like you need to do the diode shorting mod on the middle board of the DigiOneSig+USBridgeSig stack.

I did it  the same way (ran the DigiSig with a RPi 3B+ at first, then bought the USBSig & case later on). I could get the whole stack to run only if I took the top off and used both power inputs on the DigiOneSig.

I've added the two photos. You may find the top board already has a link in 697074137_DigiOneSigtopboardmod.thumb.jpg.d736525dd917caaa4a86af52b632fafd.jpgplace, but the middle board will almost certainly need attention.

1282075755_DigiOneSigmiddleboardmod.jpg.52993329c76fa9dfc9633470133bc05e.jpg

You don't have to remove the diode, just solder a bit of TCW across it.

thanks appreciate the feedback.

Just to be clear I need to introduce jumpers to plug into the dirty power into USB C connector at back of case? Instead of powering to the the dirty power on Digione sig?

If SPDIF doesn't sound better that USB I was going to sell the Digione Sig with it's Pi.

So could I just test with lid off before making alterations?

Cheers

The DigiOneSig+USBSig case has two power connectors on the rear panel.

1. USB-C type for the dirty side, located bottom left (when looking on the rear face) which connects directly onto the USBSig board. Supply should be rated at +5V, 3A.

2. 2.5mm “barrel” type, located top right for the clean side. Internally the barrel connector has a short flying lead endingwith a USB-C type connector that plugs into the clean supply connector on the DigiOne Sig. Supply should be rated at +5V, 1A.

If you were running your DigiOneSig on top of an RPi then you will recall that you plugged both clean and dirty supplies into the DigiOneSig and the RPi got its power from the DigiOneSig.

Now that you have replaced your RPi with a USBSig, the intention is that you will run the dirty & clean supplies into the rear panel, therefore you will have the internal flying lead connected to the clean side of the DigiOne Sig.

However, if then you plug your supplies into the rear panel and it does not work, then that indicates that the middle board (at least) still has the diode. Therefore the mod(s) as described previously will be required.

You can confirm this by removing the case top, unplugging the aforementioned barrel to USB-C flying lead, and connecting your supplies directly to the DigiOneSig; the DigiOneSig will then supply power to the USBSig, and indeed I ran the unit with that configuration for a few days, while investigating the problem. The photos were send me by AProbin of this parish; I believe he had obtained them from Allo.

I do have jumper on top board as shown in your photo, I also still have Diode on middle/lower board which I won't change for time being.

So once I plugged in Good SIde power 5v3a from LPS then introduced 5v3a power from LPS to Dirty Side power on DigiOne sig, leds on both devices came on. The combo booted up fine. Made settings changes rebooted and its functional. 

Didn't want to assume as I did with troubleshooting my Katana causing damage.

Glad you were there to answer my questions. Guess Allo is closed.

Thanks Stay Safe.

Good that you’ve now got it working, and as suspected, it’s the middle board diode causing the problem.

I got out the soldering iron and shorted out the diode; it’s a straightforward fix - leave the diode in place and just solder a loop of TCW between the ends - but if you are not confident with wielding an iron, then maybe you could ask Allo to send you a new middle board.

For sure, having done mine, I can now power the whole unit via the rear panel. 

It’s curious that Allo haven’t been around...they’re normally very quick to respond...and it’s not even August 😆😆.

Maybe they’ve got caught up in this Coronavirus shebackle. If so, then I’m sure we wish them well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi @allo.com I believe my DigiOne Sig is one of the first runs w/ the problem diodes that I need to short so that I can connect to the RPi power input on the USBridge Signature case instead of the DigiOne Signature.

Top:AlloDOSTop.thumb.png.40a65c7457984c34e711a1e428717e21.png

Bottom of Middle:

AlloDOSMiddle.thumb.png.7f522ebd84d779c7b1e89875eff06c30.png

I just got the USBridge so, before making any permanent changes, I wanted some kind of confirmation if I need to short one, the other, or both boards. I've heard there's some documented instructions but I haven't been able to find them on the Allo site. Can you point me to the directions or help guide me? Best as I can tell is to simply yank both diodes with pliers and then solder the connections to the short. Is that it?

6 hours ago, purehifi192 said:

Hi @allo.com I believe my DigiOne Sig is one of the first runs w/ the problem diodes that I need to short so that I can connect to the RPi power input on the USBridge Signature case instead of the DigiOne Signature.

Top:AlloDOSTop.thumb.png.40a65c7457984c34e711a1e428717e21.png

Bottom of Middle:

AlloDOSMiddle.thumb.png.7f522ebd84d779c7b1e89875eff06c30.png

I just got the USBridge so, before making any permanent changes, I wanted some kind of confirmation if I need to short one, the other, or both boards. I've heard there's some documented instructions but I haven't been able to find them on the Allo site. Can you point me to the directions or help guide me? Best as I can tell is to simply yank both diodes with pliers and then solder the connections to the short. Is that it?

Yes ,you need to remove below marked Diode and need short that points ,So it will take RPI power from USBridge signature board.

image.png.d8d955086f5f67308174665e12f21e0c.png

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

may I ask what the intentional purpose was for those two diodes? I have a DigiOne signature running on a RPi3 until now and most recently got a USBridge signature. Would the DigiOne signature with the diodes removed/bridged still work on RPi3 in case I would want to go back?

Another question: I would like to have pCP7 running with the new USBridge sinature / DigiOne signature combo – is there anything special I have to consider during installation of pCP in regards to the different hardware of USBridge signature in contrast to RPi? I remember when USBridge was out new there were some things about LAN interface?

Best regards

Stefan

36 minutes ago, steklo said:

Hi,

may I ask what the intentional purpose was for those two diodes? I have a DigiOne signature running on a RPi3 until now and most recently got a USBridge signature. Would the DigiOne signature with the diodes removed/bridged still work on RPi3 in case I would want to go back?

Another question: I would like to have pCP7 running with the new USBridge sinature / DigiOne signature combo – is there anything special I have to consider during installation of pCP in regards to the different hardware of USBridge signature in contrast to RPi? I remember when USBridge was out new there were some things about LAN interface?

Best regards

Stefan

This diodes for protecting ,if accidently connects dirty power and RPI power together.

Diode removed Digione signature board will work with RPI-3

Should not connect RPI3 power and dirty side power (On Digione signature board) together.

Regarding Picore player ,no special changes required.