IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
1 hour ago, OAudio said:

I think it would be good to see measured performance specifications provided as well.  

As a general observation there are some large ticket LPSs out there for audio systems but few vendors provide measured specs for products. At the price levels we are operating at, it's not unreasonable to be looking for similar measured performance to lab class LPSs from companies like R&S Tektronics and Agilent.

So ball park or better than:

Sub 50 uSec 60% load transient recovery times.

Sub 2mv rms ripple and noise.

Sub 2mv rail sag from 10 to 100% of rated load.

(For 6 to 10 amp rated supplies)

I know from developing supplies there are many layers to a good design but my experiance is that these measurements do correlate with SQ and could help better inform people's decisions.

Where is your ball park?

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

22 hours ago, OAudio said:

I think it would be good to see measured performance specifications provided as well.  

As a general observation there are some large ticket LPSs out there for audio systems but few vendors provide measured specs for products. At the price levels we are operating at, it's not unreasonable to be looking for similar measured performance to lab class LPSs from companies like R&S Tektronics and Agilent.

So ball park or better than:

Sub 50 uSec 60% load transient recovery times.

Sub 2mv rms ripple and noise.

Sub 2mv rail sag from 10 to 100% of rated load.

(For 6 to 10 amp rated supplies)

I know from developing supplies there are many layers to a good design but my experiance is that these measurements do correlate with SQ and could help better inform people's decisions.

When it comes to linear supplies for hard disks, the tolerances are not *that* critical, but still important. 12V Linear power for micro-ATX boards need some thought, and your ball park figures will work. 

For (E)ATX boards, it's quite a different kettle of fish. There's 5V, 3.3V notably the 3.3V with 100mV max sag and lead compensation. Even the Power OK signal for a linear supply has specific timing so that the mobo understands what the PSU is up to.  Under short circuits or overloads, the power is limited to 240VA output for any output.

Intel ATX Power supply guidelines attached to this post refers. 

For ATX spec, the challenge for linear supplies is a daunting one (to an amateur PSU designer like me). 

atxps09_atx_pc_pow_supply.pdf

On 1/14/2020 at 6:31 AM, Nenon said:

I don't know the price. It was a four rail Sean Jacobs DS3 LPS, similar to what Innuos uses. Probably best to contact Sean Jacobs for that. http://www.custom-hifi-cables.co.uk/home/power-supplies/dc3-power-supply

I asked Sean if he is willing to sell some boards to the DIY community, but he is currently away. We'll probably get an answer next week.

Many others have considered a balanced power feed on the AC side as having benefits of a noticeable reduction in the purging of noise. For this topic, I had thought of ways to produce a balanced DC supply for computer use. DC has the advantage that it is 0 Hz, so in theory there's nothing to cancel. However. The DC in power supplies contains garbage from other pieces of equipment connected to the AC network, coupled capacitively through linear elements such as power transistors on heatsinks, mainly from the PC's PSU.

A Balanced 'DC' rail is actually DC+ a small amount of AC. It's the AC that can be effectively dealt with a balanced network, any asymmetrical voltages are 'gone', leaving pure(er) DC. This is especially important in ATX supplies where high currents are involved.  There's also load noise to consider, would also benefit from a balanced supply.

How this would be setup, is the centre connection is at 0V earth potential, wired back in a star scheme to the earth of the wall outlet or balanced AC supply mid point.

The 5V would be +/- 2.5V, 12V +/-6, the tricky part is 3.3V, since many 3 terminal regulators have a minimum of 1.25V, although with a bit of work and thought, can be overcome. 

Linear supplies would work well, and SMPS, but finding 6V or 2.5V off the shelf are not so easy to source, unless custom built like from Acopian. Like with a linear supply the fixed switching frequencies on a balanced supply are asymmetric from an SMPS, so the noise factor could reduce nicely as well.

I'm just putting this out there as a point of discussion as an improvement to remove noise. 

14 hours ago, basillus said:

Interesting, thanks for your input. You don’t have a picture/schematic about the balanced dc-rail setup, because I am not 100% sure that I have understand it correctly. 

Here's a low noise design, but it's only a guide to illustrate the purpose, the voltages and currents are incorrect for ATX use. 30,000uF is substantial for power delivery, must say, not much would get through that.

image.png.db2c52cf16a43d5d2cf2fca723395b5a.png

When the load is connected across +VA and -VA, the voltage is 26V (not zero). +13V is measured at the + and PGND1 and -13V also at PGND1.

PGND1 is connected further back at the transformer to earth (ground) PE conductor (AC 12V C.T.) 

Depending on cable lengths, say 300mm or more, the load side PGND1 needs a separate wire back to the transformer earth point.

To ensure the noise cancellation works effectively, the + and - voltages need to be trimmed so they are they the same. I would expect 1mV or less would be achievable especially with lead sensing. AC transformers can balance to within 2% and work effectively at these parameters.

The 0V from the PSU is at earth potential. The -ve rails cannot be grounded since it will cause a short circuit.

The 0V in a computer power supply is often earthed, the two PC's I have are out of the box.  Grounding one end to earth of the 0V doesn't guarantee that it will be the same at the load end, since noise pickup will create potential differences.

By using a balanced supply and routing the 0V can effective noise cancellation occur.

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
2 hours ago, Nenon said:

I also heard a Lumin U1 while picking up a Gryphon Essence amplifier to try at home. The U1 did not sound bad at all, and the thought about trying a better supply on it occurred to me right away. But it was in another system and hard to tell if it was good or just the rest of the system was pretty good. 

The Lumin X1 power supply can also be used on the U1 with a cable supplied to suit.  Any Lumin is heavily dependent on the source that's feeding it, that includes cables, and the music server. If I make changes to the source, the effect is noticeable right away on the U1.