IGNORED

OT: Being Helpful

Jud

30 minutes ago, Solstice380 said:

@biosailor If you live in a college town just go to the book store and get a slightly older used PHY101 textbook.  You'll remember enough of the basics from your schooling to start there.

Thanks for for the tip! But why a slightly older text book? Do you refer to my age 😂?

BTW nice boat you‘re sailing!

10 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

biosailor - a good mathematics/physics text book to start with would be the Berkeley books series - that is what I used as a young physics major back in the Late Holocene.  You can stop with the sophomore sequence - Jr. year was quantum theory, not needed for audio.

Richard Feynmann's first 2 volumes are really interesting to read, but I found it hard to learn physics from them.  He taught at CalTech, so likely just assumed everybody would figure out the physics on their own.

https://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/

Another approach would be to go thru the physics textbooks that engineering students use.  In their physics courses, a simpler more conceptual approach is used (tho not the guff you find in physics for poets classes) so it ill be a lot easier (leading to many jokes about lookup tables).  Holliday & Resnick is an older one (we called it Holiday and Redneck).

Finally, re sailboats, you might find it fun to look at the literature on fluid dynamics - you can stop in the 1930s as the work went into supersonics at that point.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll put my mind into it!

10 hours ago, mansr said:

Actually, do read a bit about quantum theory. Then you'll see that the "explanations" offered by Shunyata and that lot are utter nonsense.

I used to have quantum theory in my chemistry courses. Was the hardest bit I had to swallow ever! Don't know if I ever recovered from the shock 😀!

However, signal theory/DSP doesn't use quantum physics at all, if I am not mistaken.