IGNORED

iTunes 10.1 bug

bdiament

Now that I've completed loading all of my CDs and files into my music server library (a project I started last January and finished during Thanksgiving weekend), I spent some time today listening on the big system and made a surprising discovery.

I didn't notice it when using my desktop speakers but on the big system, it jumped out at me immediately.

For those comparing other server software to iTunes, if your version of the latter is 10.1, beware of a significant bug. What I found is appreciably diminished separation (between left and right), a loss of clarity (which may be a function of the former) and a general shift in balance to the right side of center. (Some will interpret this as the other software having a wider, deeper soundstage with greater clarity and better imaging.)

Listening to the same files (from my iTunes library) via the finder preserved all the separation, clarity and balance. It is only via playback from iTunes version 10.1 the above symptoms will be evident.

So, for now, beware of comparisons between iTunes 10.1 and other playback software. 10.1 definitely is not performing at its normal capacity.

Best regards,

Barry

www.soundkeeperrecordings.com

www.barrydiamentaudio.com

Hi Mister Wednesday,

Thank you for the link.

I found it myself today, when browsing Apple's iTunes discussions but have not yet gotten to try it out. (I may not get to until later in the week. Will post back on whether it helped or not.)

I believe Apple knows about the issue, so I'm hoping it will be resolved with the next update of iTunes.

Best regards,

Barry

Hi CG,

Until this "work around" is confirmed, I'm not so sure.

Certainly dumping iTunes preferences doesn't do it. And earlier versions of iTunes don't have the problem.

But who knows? Maybe iTunes is just the trigger.

(I'm surprised more folks here didn't notice this, particularly with all the threads comparing iTunes with other apps.)

Best regards,

Barry

Hi Guys - This evening I've been testing iTunes for the aforementioned problem and I can't reproduce it. Right now I am using a WaveLink USb to S/PDIF converter going into an Alpha DAC. I am able to get bit transparent audio output every time.

Barry - I notices someone else was using FireWire in one of the discussions. Perhaps this is related as I know you use MH FireWire interfaces.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

"(I'm surprised more folks here didn't notice this, particularly with all the threads comparing iTunes with other apps.)"

From my reading about this, it appears that not everybody has the problem. This is beyond the intermittent nature of the problem within even a single system.

All hearsay (ha, ha), I know, but something is clearly not right and it is hard to track down.

While I don't have this problem, I found the thread on using audio midi useful. I take it that the best audio format to use is 44.1 kHz 24 bit 2 channel if your music files are ripped from CDs.

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)

Hi Chris,

I've heard of the issue from folks using non-Firewire interfaces too. I also hear it on the smaller system in my den, using the internal DAC on my MacBook Pro to feed a set of Monsoon MM-1000s, so I'm sure it doesn't have to do with interface protocols. Odd that some hear it and some don't. Are some setups immune to it? I don't know.

I would say though, to be absolutely sure, try a recording with something well to one side of the stereo field, for example Beatle vocals on the "stereo" "Here, There and Everywhere".

I find it easiest to hear with "Yanvalloux", the second track from "Equinox", which I recorded myself. The track begins Paul Beaudry's bass on the left.

He is on the left with every app I use to play the file, except iTunes 10.1, which places him mostly toward the center (and losses some detail that was there in prior versions).

Best regards,

Barry

Hi bikemig,

I use 16-bit, 44.1k for CDs, preferring to hear files precisely at their native rates.

While no harm may be done (maybe) by adding the "bottom 8" (bits 17-24) and padding them with zeros, I prefer not to make any alterations at all, finding I get the best results by getting the system "out of the way".

Best regards,

Barry

bdiament,

I have been following the various threads on the Apple iTunes User Support Forum on this problem since they first began to be reported but have not suffered this problem myself.

I'm using a MacBook Pro 17 Firewire 800 connected to a Drobo storage system and going via Toslink from the MBP17 into a Linn Kisto internal DAC. I'm using Mac OS 10.6.5 and iTunes 10.1.

Hard left/right mixes are fine as is clarity and all spatial aspects of all mixes compared to previous iterations of iTunes.

Here's hoping you and all others suffering this problem are able to get it resolved sooner than later.

Regards,

Mister Wednesday

Greetings all,

Just a quick reminder to all of you who have been following this thread here or over on the Apple iTunes User Support Forum that if you are having a problem with iTunes that you feel Apple needs to know about you have to file a formal report through their system using this form:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

Simply putting up a post on the Apple iTunes User Support Forum does not constitute a formal bug report to Apple.

Just in case you didn't already know........

Regards,

Mister Wednesday

I tested 16 Bit and 24 Bit AIFF, Wave and ALAC Files, via Optical Out and via Native USB Out on OSX 10.6.5 running on 32 Bit Kernel on MBP 5.5 and everything is correct.

Sure iTunes sounds different to Amarra, Pure Music, AyreWave, Audirvana, soundstage and tonal balance, but there is no error in that iTunes version, at least on my system.

Juergen

Hi Chris,

"...I listened to Roger Waters album Amused to Death to test this on my system. Since it's done in Q-Sound if there is anything wrong with playback the whole super wide soundstage will be lost..."

Since the soundstage from Q-Sound is an artificial one, I suggest using a discreet two-channel recording.

The "Equinox" sample, "Kote Moun Yo?" -in any of the sample rates- has an intro section, with conch shells, where there is a shaker on the left and a metal percussion instrument (actually an automobile leaf spring) on the right. They should not appear "half way" left or "half way" right.

The sample(s) can be found at www.soundkeeperrecordings.com/format.htm

Then again, using a recording you know well might be even more informative.

Looking forward to checking out the latest iTunes download as soon as there is a break from work and I can do some casual listening. Might have to wait a few days for that to happen.

Perhaps someone who has encountered the issue with 10.1 can report on 10.1.1 before I have a chance to.

Best regards,

Barry