IGNORED

Article: A New Listening Room Part Two: Acoustics, Speakers, DSP

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Rajiv - Thanks for the kind words. You have an open invitation anytime you're in Minneapolis.

I should've included prices in the article. 

The 24 Vicoustic Cinema Round Premium absorption panels were right around $2,000 total plus shipping.

The 6 Vicoustic Multifuser DC2 diffusion panels were around $700 total plus shipping.

The 2 ATS Acoustics Corner Bass Traps (24x48)  were roughly $300 total plus $125 to ship.

The Vicoustic room project was only like $50 if I remember correctly, and that was taken off my order total.

Fortunately, @mitchco just started his own business where he will handle the daunting task of DSP for anyone - https://accuratesound.ca/

A very interesting article and it's good to hear you've ended up with an excellent result. I've become a room treatment obsessive in the last two years, and it is nice to see it being promoted in HiFi publications not just studio ones. Is is possible to post an REW waterfall view of the room modes before the DSP was applied, as the frequency response isn't so informative?

The only thing I'm a bit puzzled about is why you stopped at just two bass traps. I can see from the photos of the sloping ceiling that you couldn't just stack a couple more of the ATS traps on top of the two you have. Would it have been possible to install bass traps at celing level at the wall ceiling boundaries in places where the wall doesn't slope. Or maybe horizontally suspended from the ceiling? If the rear of the room is the same as the front would it be possible to add another pair of the ATS traps in the rear corners?

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

1 minute ago, Jud said:

What are the materials in these panels?

It strikes me that with the availability of photos printed on fabric, if these panels use non-exotic materials and we have a few members who know how to design them, decor- and wallet-friendly acoustic panels might be a very nice DIY project.

The Vicoustic DC2s are made of expanded polystyrene.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

12 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

A couple dealer friends told me to just make the absorption panels myself. Not confident in my ability to do any such thing, I obviously purchased them. 

There’s really nothing to the panels. Just correct materials selection and a look if needed. 

GIK use rockwool in their panels, and they don't cost all that much. I think you'll find if you work out how much a DIY panel would cost compared with the GIK panels it wouldn't save all that much and probably wouldn't look as good.

Vicoustic and Artnovion have a higher standard of finish than GIK (although GIK are pretty excellent), and the Cherry wood in my Vicoustic Super Bass Extremes looks lovely - unless you are some kind of cabinet maker by trade I can't see how you could get anywhere near that standard of finish with a DIY project.

4 minutes ago, Jud said:

I have a couple of neighbors with reasonably extensive home wood shops. And if the fabric is photo printed, then that becomes the highlight and you can pull it over the wood frame.

OK, but note that tuned membrane panels such as Vicoustic Super Bass Extremes, GIK Scopus Bass Traps and GIK Tri-Traps with a range limiter membrane are not as easy to reproduce in a DIY project as just stuffing a filling into a decorative box. Compared with other audiophile tweaks, acoustic treatment, even designer level acoustic treatment, is much cheaper than say fancy interconnects.