IGNORED

Vinyl Records? And other things Rant

I don't get it. Isn't vinyl records like preferring media files on a 3.5 floppy disc?

I don't even understand why people prefer MP3s over a CD. Nowhere near the audio bandwidth. Is "convenience" worth that much today in that people are willing to sacrifice sound quality? 

People suggest that this DAC or another sounds better. But yet they'll claim that the top DACs don't sound any better. Could it be that at a certain level DACs stop "coloring" the music or sound? Shouldn't we prefer equipment that is non coloring and reproduces what the sound engineers intended?

Perhaps I'm too old to understand the latest fads?

SMSL M400 DAC
Bluesound Node 2i

Sony 65 inch OLED A8G, Sony 4k Blue Ray X700

Parasound Halo A31 Amplifier

Tekton Ulfberht Speakers w/ Be high frequency upgrade [4 ohms ea.]
Two Tekton Active [300 watts rms] 4-10 Subwoofers

5 hours ago, Shimei said:

I don't get it. Isn't vinyl records like preferring media files on a 3.5 floppy disc?

I don't even understand why people prefer MP3s over a CD. Nowhere near the audio bandwidth. Is "convenience" worth that much today in that people are willing to sacrifice sound quality? 

People suggest that this DAC or another sounds better. But yet they'll claim that the top DACs don't sound any better. Could it be that at a certain level DACs stop "coloring" the music or sound? Shouldn't we prefer equipment that is non coloring and reproduces what the sound engineers intended?

Perhaps I'm too old to understand the latest fads?

Yes, at a certain level DACs and the rest of the gear just "reproduce what's on the recording" - it can't get any better than that ...

But some people want to think of a rig as being like a sports car, and being able to get around a specific circuit faster and faster; in less time - it's a "competition" ... To me this is "wrong thinking", and why so much of the audio world is "off the rails" ...