IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

If you (as I am) are obsessed with female voices, you aught to listen to norwegian vocalist Kari Bremnes. Choose her 24/96 recordings when streaming or downloading. With EtherREGEN in the system, she is an absolute joy to listen to.
BTW - I have a new USB-cable connected from DAC to my Mac Mini: CAD USB-1 - and it's delivering the goods to an overwhelming degree 🙂

UpTone JS-2 LPS x 2 > Mac Mini (UpTone MMK/JS-2 LPS) > Cisco 2960 > EtherRegen 1 (1.2 LPS) > EtherRegen 2 (1.2 LPS) > OpticalModule (JS-2 LPS) > OpticalRendu (JS-2 LPS) > Denafrips Hermes DDC (i2S) > Denafrips Pontus II R2R DAC > Conrad Johnson Tube Preamp > Denafrips Hyperion Amp > SoundLab Dynastat speakers // CABLES:  Ghent Audio (JSSG360) / Sablon Audio / Tubulus Argentus / AudioQuest / PS Audio / Transparent

If you want to test your system to the limit on bass response - with EtherREGEN installed, please give Michael Manring and his record "Soliloque" a try. My favourite is "Selene" (which is a live recording). Good luck 🙂

UpTone JS-2 LPS x 2 > Mac Mini (UpTone MMK/JS-2 LPS) > Cisco 2960 > EtherRegen 1 (1.2 LPS) > EtherRegen 2 (1.2 LPS) > OpticalModule (JS-2 LPS) > OpticalRendu (JS-2 LPS) > Denafrips Hermes DDC (i2S) > Denafrips Pontus II R2R DAC > Conrad Johnson Tube Preamp > Denafrips Hyperion Amp > SoundLab Dynastat speakers // CABLES:  Ghent Audio (JSSG360) / Sablon Audio / Tubulus Argentus / AudioQuest / PS Audio / Transparent

• 2 months later...

Give Al Di Meola and "Pursuit of Radical Rhapsody" (electric/acoustic) a try with your EtherREGEN and other gear. Absolutely mind blowing how the dense rhythmic and highly dynamic sections are presented, and it's a good record for testing your equipment - if you like that kind of music 🙂 With SD-card-booting Mac Mini now powered by JS-2, my system is from another planet...
Tom

• 9 months later...
16 hours ago, PYP said:

Regarding the "need" for two eRs, I should point out that unlike your sophisticated setup, the main network device in my setup is an ISP-provided modem/router/wifi box that is powered by a balanced power unit (which also powers TV, DVR and DVD, all located in a different room from audio).  Therefore, there is no optimization prior to the opticalModule.  I chose to keep the ISP-provided equipment and to only work on the downstream part.  I've read reactions from folks who added a second eR that describe the difference as "subtle" and others say it has a "greater effect than the first eR."  So, very system-dependent, as is always the case.  

Since all these setups are different, it seems we cannot generalize other than to say that the (first) eR benefits a very wide array of systems, from simple to complex.  Given the comments about adding an external clock, it seems safe to generalize that an external clock builds upon the eR's performance, as does adding an LPS.  

At any rate, glad you are enjoying your fine system.  You have clearly put a lot of time and thought into the configuration.    

Hi @PYP, thank for your reply. I performed a lot of experimentation with all sort of equipment and configuration, before I landed with the present system setup. But in my relative simple system, the EtherREGEN is the star  - and of course the Denafrips Pontus, and the Uptone IsoREGEN, and the JS-2.. 😄
Cheers
Tom