IGNORED

Networked DACs and network speed?

1 hour ago, DavidL said:

For what it's worth when considering the purchase of the original Sonore Rendu (ethernet > SPDIF) I asked Jesus Rodriguez whether I should use GB ethernet or 100Mb ethernet output from optical isolation to the Rendu. He said the latter as this would reduce the potential for RF interference.

I would like to hear what is technical basis for such. Transmission times are longer with 100M, signal levels are the same...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

52 minutes ago, Dutch said:

one last thing; I know the encoding technique differs and the clock rate may be the same at 125MHz but gigabit ethernet uses a bigger bandwidth compared to fast ethernet. See this for example: https://www.flukenetworks.com/knowledge-base/applicationstandards-articles-copper/mhz-vs-mbits-and-encoding

IMO, that is not a problem. Energy wise 10x or 100x longer transmitter and chip activity is more of a problem.

Unfortunately Ethernet doesn't use spread spectrum clocking and randomized frequency hopping like military radios for example do.

In addition, of course with a good switch and Ethernet interfaces, EEE cable length detection is used and only amount of power needed for the particular cable length is used. For example Cisco switch supports this only at Gbps speeds.

It is kind of pointless to blast at power specified for 100m cable length if the cable is just 2m long...