IGNORED

How to Test Power Cables & Interconnects?

On 9/30/2019 at 1:35 PM, Temporal_Dissident said:

Looking for some advice. Here is the situation:

• I am building out a new system (dCS Bartok > Parasound JC 2 BP > Parasound JC 5 > Floorstanding Speakers)
  • Equipment is on-hand. I am in the process of re-wiring the A/C circuit with two matching, 10awg home-runs (one for power Amp, one for sources) 
  • I have the opportunity to try some high-end power cables and interconnects
  • I will invest in the cables if there is a discernible difference. I am somewhat skeptical.
  • I am trying to come up with a test protocol to determine what these higher end cables do. Everyone advises that I do A/B testing will listening to music. Of course I will do this.

My question: 

Is there some more objective way to A/B test power cords and interconnects? I prefer to do this by listening,...not using lab equipment. How can I A/B measure system "blackness" or noise level? 

Any advice appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

For starters, many of the previous posters don't think wiring matters- take their opinions with that in mind. When you say the equipment is on hand, is it new to you or have you been using it for awhile? If I assume the equipment is brand new and new to you, I'd definitely start out with the stock power cables, and use some straight forward interconnects and speaker cables using Mogami, Belden or Canare wire. A year from now after you have broken in the equipment and adjusted things you will be in a much better position to evaluate cabling. I believe cables make a difference, but it is a minor effect as compared to break in and speaker positioning. If you do not already have a copy, you'd be money ahead buying Jim Smith's book, "Get Better Sound".

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz