IGNORED

ALLO USBridge Signature

On 10/31/2019 at 10:05 AM, naum said:

Can someone help me.
I have easy question.
If I buy USBSig with eMMC card and Volumio, can I try Moode or DietPi on microSd card? 
Also, is there any instructions on how to change the OS on emmc?
Thank you

On 10/31/2019 at 10:17 AM, nbpf said:

I would expect that one can use any OS that runs on the RPi3 compute module but Allo will understandably offer support only for certain OSs. I use Raspbian in all my RPi systems as I tend to dislike the user interfaces of Volumio, DietPi etc.  

On 10/31/2019 at 10:28 AM, allo.com said:

eMMC should work exacly like a SD card (adaptor SD included)

...however we have found that it works on only 80-90% on all SD card readers writer

The main advantage of eMMC is that we experience by far less corruption etc. (compared with SD)

You can write any OS on SD/eMMC same way (check again the compatibility above)

You guys are puzzling me with this talk of eMMC. I tried to find out if my USBridge Sig has a CM with or without eMMC, but the website does not say. Does it, please?

And, I am starting to wonder if the USBridge is supplied with OSs on the eMMC?  I just assumed the OS was on the SD card that I added to my order (Moode)? Why would naum want to change the OS on his eMMC?  Is the idea that the OS on the SD card gets copied to the eMMC? Because it's faster and more reliable? Isn't OS-on-a-SD card good enough?

Please would someone clarify the situation with eMMC on USBridge Sig. Thx.

• 2 weeks later...

Why is wifi blacklisted?

I would be curious if someone could explain please why Allo's 802.11n 2.4GHz wifi dongle is blacklisted in the version of Moode we download from Allo? After spending some time fault-finding, Allo instruct that there is a trivial solution, which is to comment-out the blacklisting line in a config file. Allo's dongle is the only entry in the blacklisting list! What's behind this?

@suzywong I don't know - is it? I asked here because Allo sold me the dongle, and I have searched and cannot find anyone else selling the dongle, and so it seemed fair to assume that this is an Allo quirk. Surely others here in this thread have been curious about this?

I have been assuming that the version of Moode supplied by Allo is a custom Allo build for the Allo products - possibly only for the USBridge Sig. Am I right, or is Allo's version just the same as the one available from Moode?

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Pogballistics said:

Is it possible to simply use the Allo Digione signature player with a usb WiFi dongle so that can be on the same WiFi network? Will it work this way and is it advisable. Please guide, thanks.

Yes. I have an Allo USBridge Sig which works very well on wifi. One would not expect to hear any difference in sound quality between ethernet and wifi, and indeed on my set-up, I cannot.

I use moOde. It seem that some or most wifi dongles will not work with my USBridge - it may be the same with Digione and/or other players. Allo sell two wifi dongles which do work. But for some reason I have never been able to find out, Allo disable their cheaper dongle from working. They do not warn you about this, and it is a (week's) faff to undo their disablement. I bought their ComFast dongle elsewhere, at a much lower price, because I was determined as a matter of principle, never to give any money to Allo ever again.

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Pogballistics said:

I am having trouble using comfast dual band dongle with my Allo Usb-bridge signature player. I have it configured with Ropieee XL. Can you please help?

I scanned the device but it is not showing up. All the blue light of the comfast dongle is not lighting up 

Sorry to hear that Pog. I doubt I can help, since I do not know Ropieee XL. But if we're lucky the following may help:

• I assume that you've got it all working over Ethernet? If not, that's the next step, even if it means a long ethernet cable lying untidy over the floor for a few days.
  • For the sake of your confidence - the ComFast dongle did work extremely well. Right First Time. Without any additional tweaking...
  • ... although of course, on moOde, there are several things which need configuring, such as country, networking mode (although even this is detected automatically in moOde) and ... password. 

I suggest to step back, spend a day or so on ethernet, and then try again checking each step carefully, because there really is no reason why if should not work. A hardware fault is vanishingly unlikely.

If you need more help from us, give us loads and loads more detail about your configuration and what you have already tried.

3 minutes ago, Pogballistics said:

So you are saying that the comfast worked extremely well with Moode?

Maybe Ropiee / Ropieee XL do not have the drivers to support this device.

So if it worked on Moode I might try Moode OS as an option. (Altho my preference would be Ropieee as Ropieee OS makes the Allo a Roon certified device. I have asked Allo to support me for this. Let's see how that pans out.)

Will I be able to setup Moode as Roon end point tho? Hope that works out too.

Also, is there any difference in SQ with change in OS?

Your reply is very helpful and has helped my confidence.

Yup - that's what I said.

I reckon that Ropieee does not need extra drivers to support this device. I reckon your problem lies elsewhere.

I would focus on Ropieee rather than moOde. Ropieee really ought to work. moOde is a small project in itself.

There is only a change in SQ if there is a bug, or if you have an old or cheap DAC which is not designed as well as it might be. There has been a bug (or feature deficiency) in the Linux kernel for the last year or so, which caused clicks & pops for some people on some DACs, but that seems now to have been fixed. And would have affected Ropieee as well as moOde, I guess. I wouldn't expect anyone to hear any difference between Ropieee and moOde with a half-decent DAC.

(Repeat - I don't know Ropieee!)

• 1 month later...

There is no difference between Allo's images and those from moOde’s website.

The version offered by Allo seems to be arbitrary.

I found version 7.0.1 to be buggy. I would not be surprised if the next release, which was 7.1.0, also had more bugs than the last version of version 6, which was 6.7.1 and which for me works flawlessly.

• 6 months later...
16 hours ago, alexkosha said:

Started to hear pups and click during playing Qobuz content on my USBridge...

Hello Alex. There is an existing thread about this issue, here:

I thought that the problem had gone away, after plaguing a few users for years (it has for me), but perhaps not.

Do you get the problem even at CD bit rates, or only at hi res rates?