IGNORED

ZEN mini MKIII Performs worse on version 1.4.3

Dear music fans,

I was impressed by the beautiful musical performance of the Innuos ZEN mini MKIII and bought it after a listening test.

After upgrading the player from version 1.4.2 to 1.4.3 the musicality was gone as I am now missing the air around instruments.

I contacted the manufacterer and was informed that there is no fallback to version 1.4.2.

I am using AC and DC power cables from Audiomaat in the Netherlands, which bring optimal musicality to your equipment.

·         Use a good power supply, not an Innuos but a Keces P8 single instead;

·      Use a good DC cable, for instance an Audiomaat 3DW USB/Power cable;

·         ·      Use a good AC power cable, for instance an Audiomaat 3DW AC powercord.

Has anyone the same experience with this update ??

Cor van Zundert
Leader of Audioclub Oost Brabant's demo commission.

I have seen only a couple of reports about 1.4.3 - but they’ve been positive.  Here’s one that’s very positive:

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/a-new-star-in-2019-innuos-statement-server.27184/page-15#post-592784

In my case I thought it might have been an improvement - or maybe not - but most certainly it didn’t make things worse in any way.  I run Roon Experimental mode, which leverages their internal player, so I think I was impacted by 1.4.3.  I don’t believe I would have been had I been running regular Roon Core mode.  Which mode are you using?

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

I recently upgraded my Statement to rev 1.4.3 and one the improvements is the cohesiveness of the soundstage. Instead of separate air around instruments, what you get is a complete room filling atmosphere with acoustic ‘texture’, assuming that’s what’s on the recording. In other words, the air around instruments in now fully resolved into the air of the entire soundstage. Its as if before you got the soundstage in pieces and now you get the whole, fully resolved. Try a recording like Jan Garbarek’s Legend of the Seven Dreams to hear what i’m talking about. I felt the upgrade in sound quality was ‘significant’ in that it sounds even more natural, refined and involving

I have the Zen Mini with the 1.4.3 version. Since I have never heard the 1.4.2 version I have no basis for comparison. However, once the Mini was fully broken in, it now sounds more like what Blackmorec describes in the Statement. Now, I know the two units don't sound remotely alike, but there may be a Innuos house sound. The sound stage is high, wide and deep with the sensation of air thru everything. I know what air around instruments sounds like, and this ain't it. With the noise floor being so low, new music way in the back of the mix is just there.  Cor van Zundert, I hope there is some way to get that sound back into you're system. 

• 2 months later...

Dear music fans,

Already a long time ago, there was a beautiful Innuos music player called ZEN MINI MKIII.

After 'upgrading' the player from version 1.4.2 to 1.4.3, the magic of the player disappeared.

I reported this problem to Innuos, who do not seem to be willing to upgrade my player back to version 1.4.2.

Up to now, the support of Innuos is very disappointing and also their response times are extremely long.

If you doubt if 1.4.2 is souning better than 1.4.3, you should compare two players on different levels
by ripping the same CD.

Why do most of you not hear the difference ???

1: Your mindset is that a higher version should be better;

2; Most of us do not own two players to make an immdeiate comparison;

3; Your audioset should be able to make you hear the differences.

Let's assume that the average audioset scores a 7.5 which is really good in terms of enjoying music.

When you buy a ZEN MINI MKIII, which scores an 8.5 on version 1.4.2, it will really sound good.
After upgrading the ZEN MINI MKIII, the player is scoring a 7.5.

My conclusion:
If you own an average set of good quality, you might not hear the difference between the two versions
but …. what will happen if your audioset scores an 8.5 ??????
Then, you will immediately miss the musicality of version 1.4.2 !!!

With thanks and compliments to AUDIOMAAT, who helped me to upgrade my audioset
to score a high level of emotionality and musicality.

Cor van Zundert

Leader of Audioclub Oost Brabant's democommission.