IGNORED

Audiophile Power Cables

Axial

4 hours ago, gmgraves said:

Nonsense! If you think you are hearing the difference made by some “big-as-a-baby’s-arm (or leg)” boutique mains cable, you are deluding yourself. Well, it’s a free society (so far) and you can believe what you want and spend YOUR money as you see fit. If such a cable makes you think that your system sounds better with such a cable than it does without one, then more power to you. But be advised, that you are deluding yourself and furthering the fortunes of scoundrels and charlatans whose only business ethic is to part you from your hard-wrought cash. Enjoy!

Are you relax? I am not the expert who tested, reviewed and wrote the article.

I'm just me, a nobody Frenchman from Canada who wouldn't hurt a fly. 

Enjoy the read, enjoy life, enjoy the music playing. 

1 hour ago, lasker98 said:

The issue is that a shark would at least take a bite first before spitting it out. This gang of land sharks in here have likely never tried an upgraded cable in their lives. Yet, they're always the first to jump into these threads. Talk about pathetic (and getting a little old to say the least).

Exactly. 

3 hours ago, mansr said:

Theory: Mr Audio Bacon is Sonic the Hedgehog.

Are you related to Donald Duck? 

2 hours ago, One and a half said:

This thread is a lagoon full of sharks circling for the first post from someone who can detect differences between power cables and the water will turn red.

That is not quite accurate, unless it is.

2 hours ago, Blake said:

The purpose of the OP was obviously to chum the waters and create some drama.  That's fine if it entertains people.  Whatever floats your boat.  Cable fight threads are beyond played out to me- I'll still state my viewpoint but don't care to argue about it.

Back in the day though, I used to enjoy a good ol' cable fight.

Speaking of which, we should be getting some comments from Sal in 3, 2, 1.........

The purpose of the OP is to share educative audiophile studies from an engineer with style (a link from the chain).

The purpose of some views is to advance in the knowledge of learning. 

We're in it for the best views. ...With intelligent style, scientific guides, practical applications. 

7 hours ago, marce said:

Yep, not the best way of testing for subtle differences.... Even my wife in the kitchen couldn't hear the differences, which shocked me...😂

Mister, there are discernible listening differences. ...To my set of ears. 

...In regards to Audio Bakon music video on Power cords. 

Anecdotal and @ low res. If @ high res it would be even more "stimulating".

...Not the music, the comparison. 

* Did you notice the vertical Samsung television? 

7 hours ago, marce said:

It seems that it is OK to promote an Audiophile myth, bit not to disagree, if the Chihuahua brigade stop snapping at my ankles because I disagree with a myth and post some science that supports the myth it would be a more interesting discussion.

Ankle protectors on!🤣

You first mister, you post science instead of mechanical multiple posts like an auto AK-47 @ random. Hey, about that! 

• https://shop.ilovegrowingmarijuana.com/products/ak-47-autoflowering?variant=821323081

* Just an anecdote, empirical none. Read the full article, listen to the full video, be smart and humble we can all use some. Then come back all freshed up for the second round. 

6 hours ago, STC said:

I am listening (not watching) to another video of his. They are using different cables/speakers. Can you guess which one sounds better without watching the video?

When closing my eyes I hear different room's acoustics, different loudspeakers, different audio gear...different systems, cables, music, everything different. 

6 hours ago, mansr said:

Why don't we amuse ourselves by picking apart the recording instead of bickering? I saved the audio stream that Firefox happened to pick and got a ~96 kbps stereo 48 kHz Opus file. The recording is actually monophonic, though due to encoding artefacts the two channels have slight differences here and there. A sharp low-pass filter has been applied at 20 kHz, probably by the Opus encoder.

Next step, split the audio into per-cable chunks containing matching segments of audio. The result is attached, numbered according to the order in the video.

An immediately obvious difference is that the RMS levels vary wildly between the segments, 2.7 dB between the loudest and the softest. The average spectrum for these two looks like this:

image.thumb.png.b92db93ab678ddaff0f4427166adf9b6.png

Clearly, there is more than just a level difference here. How much of this is due to the lossy encoding is anyone's guess. An initial level difference can easily affect the decisions on what to discard.

bacon-ac.zip 36.19 MB · 1 download

Send that to Mr. Bacon and see his reply. Do it, just do it. 

5 hours ago, botrytis said:

Well, sighted bias is a known issue, hence why double blind testing is used in drugs, wine, alcohol and food testing.

http://asq.org/statistics/2010/02/design-of-experiments/when-people-are-the-instrument-sensory-evaluation-methods.pdf

With drugs, tobacco and alcohol  (fine wine and food too) we have different batches and aging every year. It's different, all is different. ...Same with cars and oil and gas and taxes. ...Same with children from one year to the next...with men and women. 

Some change, others hardly, some for the better others with consistency.

5 hours ago, marce said:

We're in a power cord cable's thread; it's not a Wilson Audio loudspeaker's thread. 

Check in the Speaker audio section for more information on what you're looking for. 

I might join you later on, or not...it depends. 

3 minutes ago, mansr said:

No need. My computer model already provides a highly accurate prediction:

"For me - there's really no way to justify why anyone would choose to read such garbage, on a serious basis. But hey, I don't have that problem...I just wish more people were smarter, instead of just sticking to those easy facts (which I know are in the books and can be easily searched in the internet!)"

I have no doubt. I'm also from the school of diversified opinions (more) to advance our own. 

21 hours ago, Archimago said:

What's most interesting to me is in the last summary page of that very long article; because this is what the cable Industry is truly about:

"Finding that balance in your system is tough – and neverending."

Indeed it would be very tough to try so many cables and listen to whatever minute differences might or might not be there. What's important for the cable industry is that people maintain faith that audible differences are possible which this article has meticulously conveyed along with promotion of other audiophile lore (you know, a simple correlation like "higher priced cords generally use higher quality material - which generally results in better resolution, timbre..."). People like simple beliefs like this.

So long as a certain percentage of audiophiles will engage in that "neverending" quest to find this "tough" "balance", all's good with the Industry. Where there is the quest for the Holy Grail, there are potential profits to be gathered.

While I cannot advocate for such an avocation as I believe it to be folly, it is a free world and I suppose there are worse and more destructive ways to spend one's time and money. I am impressed by Mr. Bacon's passion in what he does nonetheless! 🙂

132 posts in this power cables thread. The guy did a tremendous job in my opinion and he has my respect. 

Mr. Archimago, you are one of the members here who I also enjoy reading your blog tremendously. You are one of the very bests.

Two different styles one story...the pursuit of music satisfaction. 

_____

"I have to say that many posts bring nothing constructive; it's a critic of posters acting like kids in their own personal sandbox. Who's right who's wrong I'm better than you no you are not I have more experience I know what I'm talking about no you're not you have no proof but me my system talk better because I set things up according to the plans of audio gold from the scriptures written before we were born. How could you be better when I am?"

That's about how it sounds like for 75% of this thread, minimum.

That's a very low percentage for intelligent people in a world of music reproduction and everything else in it. It doesn't inspire me much @ all. And instead of playing this childish game I'm better off. 

Wait a minute, I don't have to; I have stuff in this audiophile style affair that I want to share to, and if only few smart people can have a smart discussion it's all worth it. I simply ignore all that has zero relevance and zero benefit and zero advancement. 

It's my thread and I'm responsible. I'm moderating it. I try anyway to do the best I know without being despicable but amicable. ...Like a bunch of good people here. 

Time to wisen up ...

I know most of you don't appreciate anything that is not scientifically measured and analysed and proven reliable by the best tools the mathematicians physicists audio scientists used over the last fifty years and more, and you are partly right in your expertise. Some are even more right. I also know that you are open minds and appreciate values when you see and hear them. 

This is a good site with smart people, then why not acting the part? 

There is nothing wrong with this extensive study on power Cables, to the contrary, someone took the dedicated passionate time to listen, compare, listen more, adjust levels, change audio components, ...brief he did an exhaustive testing beyond what any other human before him did not. 

We are witnessing power of audio in the making, thanks to him, to his sharing generosity. You can do your own without undoing his. Me I think sincerely that there is more valuable information than not, and that alone counts for a lot. 

Here's something for the analysts and critics to digest ...

• https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/audiophilestyle.com

It's only a guide, but used in a comprehensible advent/development it sure can improve in the upwards of many departments. You'd feel better contributing positively to your own home...Audiophile Style (website) with the people you love, including yourself and your own family @ home. Yes, no? Of course yes. 

Each new day is a brand new day, yesterday's emotions and distractions are gone to new better tomorrow's destinations.

By reinventing ourselves each day we get closer to the gift of music reproduction of a higher plane. 

Don't expect others to to the things you can do yourself, take charge in a constructive discussion towards advancement. The world needs it. 

17 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

No.  He could have done at least singly blinded testing, but instead wasted his time "to listen, compare, listen more, adjust levels, change audio components" all for utterly worthless verbiage.

He may have been exhausted but in no way was it exhaustive nor was it testing.

This has been pointed out several times above, but confirmation bias must be controlled for, as it is a pervasive, and unconscious bias.

Measurements of likely variables that could affect SQ would be nice, but are not required to show SQ differences

You do it then, your own way; we'll let you know first hand, you can count on us 100%, what we think. Best of luck, take your time, couple years if you have to, with more cables, twice as much more, triple. You have my full support, I have tremendous confidence on your success.

Bests, 

5 hours ago, Archimago said:

Fantastic work @pkane2001 and thanks for DeltaWave!

Clearly these are very different as the recording technique and equipment, plus lossy conversion results in low fidelity to the source as we can plainly hear in the video. There's distortion including some cracking with samples like the "Furutech" and "Snake River Audio Cottonmouth" that would not be from the cables.

For those who do not believe in significant audiophile power cable effects, this low quality will be unpersuasive and IMO will simply add to deserved critical response around the poor insight of the reviewer to think that these recordings are able to show true effects.

For those who do believe in power cables, this kind of poorly conducted test will just make some cables such as the above look bad compared to the others unnecessarily (even if he used a bunch of complementary words in his written review). I don't know if he bought the cables or were lent to him, but if I were the manufacturers and saw such a ridiculous comparison, I'd have a word or two with him to figure out why he presented my product in such a bad light compared to others.

You could go on his site, or below his article (comments section) and ask him directly.

Us we weren't there, we know less than nothing else than what was presented in the article with words, video, music playing, ...all that jazz.

Maybe he'll be delighted to answer any question you and other distinguished people here have for him in order to advance their knowledge from the author's mouth and ears and anything else of important relevance. 

We can do all the criticism for the next century, our grandkids will take over if they follow the path of ultra precision audiophile grandfathers (us), and the future of high resolution audio power cables will be assured for a very long time, longer than before all the forests disappeared from the surface of this globe. 

Because music matters. Because high end analog audio matters. Because mono, stereo, multichannel matters. Because good solid audio engineering in power cables matter. Because we all want peace and happiness. 

19 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

your attempt at irony only betrays your lack of understanding of reality

I have no problem with you wasting your own money, just don't try to perpetrate a fraud on consumers

I was sincere; it's about advancing our power cables knowledge. I encourage you in that pursuit. If one can do it, two more can do too. It's not about us, it's about our music purity from the wall outlet and through the conductor. ...Good solid geometric engineering, smart analysis with measurements, premium hospital grade connectors. 

Listen to that music video again, if you haven't yet, concentrate on the female vocals, her pitch, on the banjos, listen accurately. Re-read the article again, imagine being there. 

Buy a dozen power cables with a 30-day return period, ask for already bresk-in cables, but the best recording mic in the audio business, but the best analysing tools (with programs from your computer), do a thoroughly examination of all parameters with clear and accurate graphs, just do it. 

I am serious or I wouldn't be here starting a serious thread about high end audio power cables. Maybe he's wrong on few things and right on others, let's ask him first than we can discuss. Would you like me to invite him here for you?  If yes I sure will let him know.

But good behavior is primordial, there is no time to waste, from no one. 

It's not about you, or him, or them...it's about audio power cables from the best dedicated audio researchers and manufacturers...high caliber audio engineers @ the service of the art of accurate music reproduction in all its valuable glory. 

Money is irrelevant in that pursuit ... our ears and music emotions are. 

42 minutes ago, marce said:

An interesting paper on power line noise...

https://product.tdk.com/en/products/emc/emc/power-line/technote/pdf/generaltec_power-line_en.pdf

The point here is cables don't filter noise, filters do. Though bus bar construction with multi layers does create a low impedance high capacitance can help a technique used for high power and on power PCB's for high current distribution.

The material purity, the geometry, the connectors, the soldering, the insulation, ...they all act effectively accordingly. ...And yes added network filters, noise in noise out, synergy with the rest of the system, and so on. Nobody said that it'll be ever easy, not in this audio pursuit of perfection. Everything counts, every little small detail. 

Thanks for that pdf link.

1 hour ago, Allan F said:

Sorry, but you lost me twice. Dunno where the 106 figure comes from. And the Ignore List doesn't reduce the post #; it replaces the post with, "You've chosen to ignore content by member", and provides options. Better to leave this and get back on topic. :)

I agree...power cables comparison ...

* I made a small typo ... it was 186 posts, not 106 (tiny keyboard).