IGNORED

HQPlayer4 EC modulator tips and techniques

ted_b

22 hours ago, bodiebill said:

Perhaps, but I am somewhat puzzled as the dropouts are tiny and only occur after 40 seconds or so. And they also occur with dsd128 and temperatures remain moderate (<60C). So I suspect it is something else.

Have you tried adjusting the Buffer?  

My liquid cooled i7-6700K OC’d to 4.2GHz with 2400 G. Skill Ripjaw RAM and RTX2080 OC GPU can smoothly play polysincshrt-mp, xtr and ext2 filters with EC7 from up to 96/24 to DSD256.  Stuttering starts with 192/24 I tried.  The CPU cores get up to the 70s so I don’t think I want to play it all night but not an issue for a whole album.  Time to build a new machine, this one is 5 years old but the GPU is new and can go right in. 😎

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, jabbr said:

Which filters do people like best?

EXT2 / EC7 combo is good with my Lampizator DSD only DAC.  I keep going back to an old favorite poly-sinc-shrt-mp, but also go back and forth with the lp version.  Some like XTR a lot and it is good with the dCS.  I also keep trying the EC5 vs EC7.  Previously it was noted that the 7 may be better for 1 bit processing DACS and 5 for multi-bit.  The dCS Ring DAC is a multi-bit.  No conclusion yet.

5 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'm a big fan of MP filters so far. 

Jussi says they have the best transient performance.  Some people call them soft or diffuse.  @Jud, who has time / phase coherent speakers, has said he likes LP filters.  With my Wilson speakers both sound great, to me.  On some recordings LP filters get a little harsh.

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, CheapSplurge said:

What are best settings for edm, electronic music, I have a Hugo tt2 as dac. Looking for even more resolution and clarity 

Stick with Linear Phase (lp) filters.  And the non-apodizing ones - they are the ones that don't have an X in the APOD column of the table in the manual.  Maybe try XTR or the Closed Form filters.  You really need to just try them to see what works with your system.  I have 2 DACs that sound best with different filters and modulators.