IGNORED

Some commonsense

9 minutes ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

Any event... how about "time-smearing" and minimum perceptible interaural time difference ?

Check and check.  You are all good with a touch over 40 khz sampling.  

Was it here that someone put up the link to a recent paper on lowest interaural time difference perception.  It indicated with the right conditions it might be a little lower than 10 microseconds.  Might be around 7 or 8 microseconds.  Excellent methodology.  Nothing like the ill conceived stuff by Kunchur.  The kicker is they used 48/24 to present signals and make this determination.  It has the ability to portray interaural time differences well below microseconds and was fine for their work.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

7 hours ago, esldude said:

Check and check.  You are all good with a touch over 40 khz sampling.  

Was it here that someone put up the link to a recent paper on lowest interaural time difference perception.  It indicated with the right conditions it might be a little lower than 10 microseconds.  Might be around 7 or 8 microseconds.  Excellent methodology.  Nothing like the ill conceived stuff by Kunchur.  The kicker is they used 48/24 to present signals and make this determination.  It has the ability to portray interaural time differences well below microseconds and was fine for their work.  

placebo effect reading 24/96, ie,  on that Springsteen's track I mentioned is a helluva drug then. Buy the 16/44 with less presence and and slightly blurred layering, IMO, as much as you like as long as greedy marketers keep selling 24/96 to happy fools placebo sensitive persons like me

On 6/18/2019 at 7:47 PM, Paul R said:

But- I was taught that the set of  integers and their properties are pretty much at the root of all mathematical branches of study. Never really thought about it, just accepted that as an axiom.

It is true that nearly all mathematics has a use for natural numbers. Did you mean more than this?

mQa is dead!

5 hours ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

placebo effect reading 24/96, ie,  on that Springsteen's track I mentioned is a helluva drug then. Buy the 16/44 with less presence and and slightly blurred layering, IMO, as much as you like as long as greedy marketers keep selling 24/96 to happy fools placebo sensitive persons like me

Do you know if it is the same master?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

10 minutes ago, esldude said:

Do you know if it is the same master?

how would I know for every commercial release?

I doubt it's trumped : subtly better : more presence, better delineation, consistent with the idea of better transient reconstruction and no time smearing. Worth it with my system and personal mania but not saying in a MF's manner "digital was shit and I was right to promote vinyl till 24/192 came and its day and night compared to 16/44"

1 hour ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

how would I know for every commercial release?

I doubt it's trumped : subtly better : more presence, better delineation, consistent with the idea of better transient reconstruction and no time smearing. Worth it with my system and personal mania but not saying in a MF's manner "digital was shit and I was right to promote vinyl till 24/192 came and its day and night compared to 16/44"

Well that was my point.  Quite often the higher res is mastered a little differently.  So sure it could sound better, but you don't know the sample rate has a thing to do with it. 

• 4 months later...
On 6/9/2019 at 5:40 AM, Ajax said:

On 6/9/2019 at 5:40 AM, Ajax said:

To mitigate this problem, I would suggest separating the word length tests from the sample rate tests.  Change one parameter at time. Test 44.1/16 against 44.1/24. Then test 44.1/24 against 192/24. This will tell you if the audible differences are related to word length, sample rate or both.

John Siau

Completely agree with the quote from John Siau regarding testing.  I understand the continuing use of 16 bit in blind tests because of the history of CD files, but I think 16 bit will be used as master sources for streaming conversion and file sales much less in the future.  I think compare of 96 24 bit to 44.1 24 bit is and will be a much more valid and useful test when comparing files for sampling rate discrimination.