IGNORED

Article: Editorial: What's Wrong With You?

5 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Again, what a recorded clip of music playing does is communicate whether there is something wrong with the sound - if there are incidental noises, like people talking in the background while listening, etc, this allows one to 'calibrate' the overall sense of the recording. If when the music starts it is jarringly out of kilter with the preceding sound picture, then something is very wrong with the playback being recorded.

The "whole story" is not the point - if it's easy to hear that you don't like the sound of the gear over a YouTube link, then it would be much worse in the flesh.

Yes, actual implementations are at the heart of getting good sound. And my rigs are all over the place in SQ, because I'm always in the process of investigating, and trying things out. One day it will be a bit of magic; the next day it will irritate the hell out of me - because I've made a wrong move, or something has come adrift; or an external factor has come into the picture.

I completely relate to your last paragraph. It fits me to a tee. Whatever is in my signature is merely my LR stereo and the one that works! LOL

Your first two paragraphs baffle me though. I agree there should be some averaging, but there are too many variables for me to be comfortable saying anything concrete about it.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz