IGNORED

Rendu with ANY output other than USB

20 minutes ago, fdreed said:

I haven't seen it mentioned in a while, so I would like to reiterate a point others have made: I would love to be able to use an opticalRendu and would purchase one instantly if it had ANY output other than USB. It would be ideal if the USB circuitry was eliminated in favor of this other output. And no, I don't want to add another box and power supply downstream (like the ultraDigital).

I know you are very busy fulfilling existing demand for the current version. I am just suggesting that you could make an additional killing with the non-USB version that has been suggested.

Thank you.

Right now I'm keeping on eye one piece of technology that unfortunately is not advancing much. Another idea I'm considering is to replace the ultraDigital with a version that does not need an external power supply. This is because the Rendu series has great USB power if feed from a good power supply. These combined with a dual faceplate will make for a one box with one power supply solution. 

1 hour ago, fdreed said:

@barrows:

Thank you for taking the time to respond, some great information comparing asynchronous USB to synchronous SPDIF.

If we, however, focus on the only those DACs that treat all inputs asynchronously, I think we agree that having the master clock in the DAC itself is overall quite beneficial. If we can measure that we get bit perfect data to the I2S bus through all inputs and are using the DAC as the master clock on that data, then the only difference in SQ between inputs must be due to noise -either that presented to the DAC through the input cable, or that generated by the individual input circuits -> I2S. The important aspect to address in this situation is to minimize the noise coming to the DAC and then choose the input that adds the least amount as the signal is processed on the way to the bus.

To move from the philosophical to the practical, when I render an optical ethernet transmission, I hear a difference in SQ depending on the input used on my particular DAC. I2S > AES = Coaxial > Toslink > USB. This is all with 3 figure ($$$) cables and no 4 figure ($,$$$) or more expensive cables. It could be argued that this particular USB input is poorly engineered, but it's the one I have.

So I have no particular ax to grind against USB audio (though I may have over-generalized my own situation). It is just that, in my particular case, I would prefer an optical renderer with any output other than USB, with I2S as my best hope.

What DAC are you talking about?

8 hours ago, Em2016 said:

At a high level that sounds like the way Ted Smith and Rob Watts do it too, although hard to know without nitty gritty details of how they do it.

They are probably similar, but differ since there was no collaboration that I'm aware of between them.