IGNORED

Max file size/length?

I have some 50K tracks in an iTunes library - version 12.8.2.3 on a MacMini OS 10.11.6. I also have Roon (1.6) using this same library.

I recently added several AIFF files ripped from blu-ray audio discs - Mahler and Bruckner symphonies.

One of the tracks is over 30min in length and over 1G is size - it adds fine to iTunes and shows up in Roon. But in both places, the track is only listed and plays at 1min in length.

If I play the track using VLC - or even just using space bar preview - it places full length.

Is there an upper limit in track size in iTunes? Curious that it also passes over to Roon.

I realize I can convert to ALAC, but I haven't run into this limitation before.

Thanks for any help -

Michael

Michael

I just went thru my iTunes library - I also have some tracks that are almost 2hrs, but they are AAC/mp3 and are all under 1GB and show/play fine - so maybe it is the size of the file or something about AIFF???

I also tried the track on another Mac of mine and it has the same cutoff, but plays fine using VLC/preview...

The issue with Roon is that is is also showing that track as being limited to 1min - just like in iTunes. I've also asked over at RoonLabs.

Thanks!

Michael

How did you rip the files? It sounds like some of the header info is incorrect, and some apps are not interpreting the length correctly. 

If you know how to use Terminal, you can run the afinfo command to see what the Mac sees. Open Terminal, type afinfo, then a space, then drag the file to the Terminal window, then press Return. You'll see a lot of info, including the length of the track. For example: 

$ afinfo /Volumes/Music/iTunes\ Media/Music/Grateful\ Dead/1974-05-21\ -\ Hec\ Edmundson\,\ University\ of\ Washington\,\ Seattle\,\ WA\ -\ 73-74\ Pacific\ Northwest/2-15\ Playing\ In\ The\ Band.m4a

File:           /Volumes/Music/iTunes Media/Music/Grateful Dead/1974-05-21 - Hec Edmundson, University of Washington, Seattle, WA - 73-74 Pacific Northwest/2-15 Playing In The Band.m4a

File type ID:   m4af

Num Tracks:     1

----

Data format:     2 ch,  44100 Hz, 'alac' (0x00000001) from 16-bit source, 4096 frames/packet

no channel layout.

estimated duration: 2818.506667 sec

audio bytes: 306328441

audio packets: 30346

bit rate: 869469 bits per second

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

Thanks, Kirk -

I ripped the audio using DVD Audio Extractor - some 102 tracks, but only this one seems to be a problem.

Here's the afinfo for the track - it seems to checkout OK for length of time:

afinfo /Volumes/MacPro\ Music\ Server/Converted\ hi-res\ music/Haitink\ Mahler\ symphonies/14\ -\ Symphony\ No.\ 3\ in\ D\ Minor\,\ Part\ One\ -\ I.\ Kräftig.\ Entschieden.aiff

File:           /Volumes/MacPro Music Server/Converted hi-res music/Haitink Mahler symphonies/14 - Symphony No. 3 in D Minor, Part One - I. Kräftig. Entschieden.aiff

File type ID:   AIFF

Num Tracks:     1

----

Data format:     2 ch,  96000 Hz, 'lpcm' (0x0000000E) 24-bit big-endian signed integer

no channel layout.

estimated duration: 1934.720000 sec

audio bytes: 1114398720

audio packets: 185733120

bit rate: 4608000 bits per second

packet size upper bound: 6

maximum packet size: 6

audio data file offset: 54

not optimized

source bit depth: I24

Michael

3 hours ago, brucknerdoc said:

I just went thru my iTunes library - I also have some tracks that are almost 2hrs, but they are AAC/mp3 and are all under 1GB and show/play fine - so maybe it is the size of the file or something about AIFF???

I also tried the track on another Mac of mine and it has the same cutoff, but plays fine using VLC/preview...

The issue with Roon is that is is also showing that track as being limited to 1min - just like in iTunes. I've also asked over at RoonLabs.

It is not filesize.  I have files up to 14.5Gb (hires, multichannel) including the first movement of the M3 and they all play fine in Roon.  Such large files (>>1Gb) are in DSF, DFF, FLAC, DXD and, in a few cases, WAV.  I do not use AIFF nor do I have any experience with iTunes but, since it is a problem for you in both Roon and iTunes, I suspect it is a flakey file.   

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

1 hour ago, Kal Rubinson said:

It is not filesize.  I have files up to 14.5Gb (hires, multichannel) including the first movement of the M3 and they all play fine in Roon.  Such large files (>>1Gb) are in DSF, DFF, FLAC, DXD and, in a few cases, WAV.  I do not use AIFF nor do I have any experience with iTunes but, since it is a problem for you in both Roon and iTunes, I suspect it is a flakey file.   

Thanks - except the file plays fine using VLC and simple spacebar preview.

I re-ripped the file and got the same result - the remaining 100 tracks (all smaller and shorter) play fine in iTunes and Roon.

Curious...

Michael

6 minutes ago, brucknerdoc said:

Thanks - except the file plays fine using VLC and simple spacebar preview.

I re-ripped the file and got the same result - the remaining 100 tracks (all smaller and shorter) play fine in iTunes and Roon.

Curious...

I see that you said that you ripped it with DVD-AE but what is the original format?  Can you rerip it with another program?

In any case, we can eliminate file size as an issue.

Kal Rubinson

2 hours ago, brucknerdoc said:

Yes - I forgot about my DSD files - and they are indeed larger than 1GB - and are fine in Roon.

Maybe an AIFF issue?

I'm not sure of any other program on a Mac that rips audio from blu-ray discs...

Googling shows a few but I have no Mac experience.

Kal Rubinson

4 hours ago, brucknerdoc said:

Yes - I forgot about my DSD files - and they are indeed larger than 1GB - and are fine in Roon.

Maybe an AIFF issue?

I'm not sure of any other program on a Mac that rips audio from blu-ray discs...

I use MakeMKV to save a decrypted backup of the blu-ray and then DVD-Audio Extractor to rip AIFF files from the backup. The files have never given me problems in iTunes or Roon. None are over a GB, though, that I can think of.

I would use XLD to convert to ALAC and see if iTunes will play it.

3 hours ago, new_media said:

I use MakeMKV to save a decrypted backup of the blu-ray and then DVD-Audio Extractor to rip AIFF files from the backup. The files have never given me problems in iTunes or Roon. None are over a GB, though, that I can think of.

I would use XLD to convert to ALAC and see if iTunes will play it.

Yes - that is the method I use to rip as well.

I have tried converting to ALAC and the track plays in iTunes - just like the AIFF does in VLC

Just trying to figure out what the issue is with the AIFF track in iTunes

Michael

Hmmm...

I would try converting the ALAC back to AIFF using XLD or something similar. If the new AIFF won't play, then maybe the file size really is the problem. If it does play, then perhaps there is something wrong with the file header created by DVD-Audio Extractor.

ETA: Aye, you just beat me to it.

On 3/29/2019 at 8:02 PM, brucknerdoc said:

Followup -

I used XLD to convert the problematic AIFF track to WAV, then back to AIFF - the track now appears and plays correctly in iTunes and Roon.

Not sure what that did, but sometimes it good that it just worked.

Thanks for the help!

Yes, I've also found that if I had a file that would not play the problem was solved if I used XLD to convert to some other format and then convert back. I can only guess this corrected some header info or similar.

ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ running MinimServer with Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP for control >

Hi-Fi 1: Airport Extreme bridge > Netgear switch > TP-Link optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge AND PS Audio PerfectWave Transport > PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge Mk.II > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus Anniversary Edition .

Hi-Fi 2: Sonore Rendu > Chord Hugo DAC/preamp > LFD integrated > Harbeth P3ESRs and > Sennheiser HD800