IGNORED

Bricasti Model 3 DAC

11 hours ago, rickca said:

I just discovered this announcement.  Interesting at $4995.  @austinpop I guess you've already settled on HMS/TT2?

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2019/03/02/bricasti-design-launches-model-3-digital-to-analog-converter/

Here's the manual:

http://www.bricasti.com/images/product_downloads/m3_user_guide.pdf

Would be nice to compare to both  the more expensive Bricasti Model 1 and the less expensive new Holo Spring2 which has also two separate DACs, one for PCM and one for DSD.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

4 hours ago, rickca said:

Yes, looks like all their DACs are limited to DSD128 via DOP.  I'm not sure why.

It is strange, indeed.

Hopefully they offer a SE version for M3 as well.

Matt

5 hours ago, Neal.Audio said:

The M1 SE is an unbelievable performer imo. Yet the M3 has two power supplies instead of three for the M1 SE. When asked how the M3 performs, I'm told it sounds more like an M21... meaning it's more forward and detailed, but more musical than the M1 SE. 

So the M3 is more musical than the M1 SE?

Thanks

Matt

9 hours ago, Neal.Audio said:

The ethernet board is the same as found in the M1 option... and same as the M5 Network Player.

Purely from a sound quality POV:

Does the Bricasti sound better via Ethernet than via USB or does it make more sense to buy a very good USB cable?

Thanks

Matt

4 hours ago, Neal.Audio said:

Bottom line is that they're different sounding, one not necessarily better than the other. Which is good since one is $10k and the other is $5k.

I am curious about the first listening impressions in comparison to the M1.

Matt

19 hours ago, Neal.Audio said:

The listening impressions described are not my own, but someone who's ears I trust.

Please keep us informed when you have compared directly M3 to M1.

Thanks

Matt

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, barrows said:

We used the Bricasti M21 at RMAF this year, and it is a very impressive DAC on both PCM (using its ladder DACs, not available in the M3) and DSD (using the discrete conversion approach also used in the M3).  

Did you compare SQ of the ladder DAC section vs the DSD DAC section?

Thanks

Matt

• 8 months later...
On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 12:54 AM, barrows said:

I have confirmed DSD 256 support via USB on the new Bricasti DACs (directly from Bricasti).  Apparently this requires a new input board.  Now that it supports DSD 256, I am thinking the M3, via its single bit DSD converter, may be a really fantastic DAC for those who prefer oversampling everything to DSD 256, as I do.  It is very nice to see such a high quality DAC, made in the US, at such a reasonable price.

Thanks for sharing.

Did you compare DSD256 with the new Bricasti vs your Buffalo?

Matt

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, sfseay said:

Great review of the Bricasti M3 on Stereo Times website - Click here

Yes, Terry London mentioned there is also a review of the Rockna Wavelight upcoming.

Very interesting to compare both.

Matt

1 hour ago, sfseay said:

Anybody upgraded their Bricasti M3 to have the new MDx upgrade?  This upgrade give you the ability to play DSD256 and sound improvements.  

From Bricasti:

"The MDx processor is our latest enhancement to the product line, this upgrade will provide for DSD256 with USB, and overall improvement over the previous revisions of the processors used in our products for digital timing.  The MDx processor is used in all new production so upgrading to it will bring the product up to current production spec.  In particular with the MDx there is a noted improvement when using the network interface over the previous type processors, this change is for better sync to the incoming master clock.  The M3 has had the improved Master clock timing,  as about a year ago at the time we introduced the M3 we made changes in all product with the previous versions of the processor ( Rev 8 )  to yield better performance.  But the MDx provides even better performance than the first processor the M3 was shipped with, so there will be an overall improvement with the M3 running the MDx on all inputs.  The Rev8  processor board used in the first generation M3 has excellent performance, the MDx is just a bit better in all aspects and especially when using the interface for the network.

Whether or not this is worthwhile is up to the listener.   Users report that it is,  but of course this becomes subjective opinion of the listener.  One might describe the sound effect is of greater accuracy of transients and presentation of the imaging to be more accurate.  This can be perceived as slight or profound, depends on the playback chain and source.  This is like changing the sync setting in the M3 from fine ( most accurate timing ) to wide ( less accurate).  With the MDX we go to super fine mode."

Thanks,

do you have a link to this announcement from Bricasti?

Matt

5 hours ago, sfseay said:

Before paying $700.00 for the upgrade I asked Bricasti via email what the MDx board offered and their response is in my posting.

The question is how can the prospective buyer be absolutely sure to get a Bricasti with the MDx board inside.

Is there a sign at the case or is it up a certain serial number?

I have seen so far no info about on their HP.

IMO, Bricasti should shed some light on this.

Matt

1 hour ago, sfseay said:

How would anyone know that?  Not mentioned in the article anywhere.

He wrote on Audiogon:

"My review on the M3 was submitted to Stereo Times website and hopefully will be up shortly. It's a superlative music maker. The M3 has the new and latest upgraded board and is a significant improvement over what you have in your M1"

So I would say with MDx.

Matt

7 hours ago, mrkoven said:

New board looks very different.. glad to hear it was a simple change.

I will order the MDx this week and do the same.

Please share your impressions.

I am very curious how the Bricasti with MDx compares to your Rockna Wavelight. 🙂

Matt

52 minutes ago, KLH007 said:

Brian expressed to me how much improvement eliminating all USB from the chain and using Ethernet direct into the network/streaming card would bring. The network card sends I2S with a short path to the DAC so USB communication is never used. 

Do you know what Brian uses as server with the Ethernet input Bricasti and would you say that the ethernet input is better than USB even with the MDx board?

Thanks

Matt

40 minutes ago, barrows said:

For example, The VP of Sonore prefers the USB input of his M21 to the Ethernet input when his USB source is the Sonore Signature Rendu SEoptical.  

I suppose he has the MDx board?

Matt

46 minutes ago, mrkoven said:

I'm liking the M1SE a bit more than the Wavelight in my system.

.......and probably even more so after the MDx upgrade.

However the Rockna is about half the price of the M1SE and the SE certainly also better than the M3.

So looking forward to a comparison after the upgrade? 🙂

Thanks

Matt

2 minutes ago, mrkoven said:

Are you using Bricasti or what is your current system?

Looking for a new DAC. On the shortlist are M3, Wavelight and Yggdrasil.

Curious about the not yet ready Hybrid-Mode from Rockna.

It is nearly impossible to get comparisons, so your Input is appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

21 hours ago, matthias said:

On the shortlist are M3, Wavelight and Yggdrasil.

Sorry for being OT regarding M3.

The M21 seems to be the best sounding Bricasti DAC. Three different sources confirmed that the R2R Ladder DAC in the M21 sounds best for PCM. 

So is there a certain quality with R2R DACs that other DAC principles do not offer?

Matt

19 minutes ago, barrows said:

For my money, the M3 gives 80% of the performance of the M21 (and 100% for DSD) at less than one third of the price-I am very impressed that Bricasti was able to offer this kind of value int he M3.

Agree,

in a perfect world the best match of DACs in the M3 for me would be R2R and discrete DSD. 🙂

Certainly the R2R DAC is much more expensive than the standard D/S DAC.

Matt