IGNORED

My Favorite Album Covers / Artwork

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Quoting myself here to explain something I didn't when I first posted it.

Yep, she's gorgeous, no denying that, Melody Gardot is a very attractive woman, that is definitely part of the appeal. However... IMO, This cover is a graphical representation of how I think she feels about her music and performing it in front of an audience. It shows her opening up and baring her soul, which really can't be shown on film, but it is what her music is for her.

Thats why I like it.

Nice attempt, but if she "opening up" why most intimate parts views are obstructed by guitar?

Also, do you really believe the human's soul looks exactly like this?

4 hours ago, christopher3393 said:

Hyperion Records frequently dips into art history for its album covers, and I like that.

One fairly recent example comes to mind:

034571281575.png.3bd6f2c469ce61ff179573da3ca94e57.png

The Madonna of the Magnificat , detail of the Virgin's face and crown (1482) by Sandro Botticelli

Choices like these are not without their own set of problems:

CO6042.thumb.jpg.da7e57572022ce0ea6e0f647f5ecb3be.jpg

500x500.jpg.8cf541c83affbb9ba9ec110d0700d494.jpg

Public domain.

Perhaps this is an example of le fin bec 😉, but note again that this is the Madonna of the Magnificat, and appropriately so for the music. But how does the illustration convey that?

Here's an image of the original:

Madonna_of_the_Magnificat.thumb.png.4598262ae2cc5e68f92bdc57f078b121.png

and here is a different detail closeup:

gettyimages-919724434-594x594.jpg.4e03910210dc2a0792ca4b83f56180c4.jpg

Le voila! She is writing the opening of the Magnificat on the right-hand page of a book.

This is amazing sequence, thank you.

7 hours ago, Paul R said:

It is nigh on impossible to tear my eyes away from this. It is both eye popping and disturbing, all at the same time. But so cool.

Now I need to go look up this music and listen to it.  Are the musical minds as inventive as the photographic ones? 

-Paul 

Alva Noto (Carsten Nikolai) was on a forefront of electronic music experiments for decades, also with Ryuichi Sakamoto and many others. Bargeld (also a pseudonym) was with Nick Cave and Einstürzende Neubauten, etc. I believe they are able to invent a lot.

• 5 months later...