IGNORED

USB Type A to Type C Cable Query

Iain

Question

11 answers to this question

4 hours ago, Iain said:

I am now the proud owner of a new Topping NX4 DSD DAC.

The big problem though, is I need a USB type A to type C cable to transfer data from my laptop to the DAC and most of the marketing fluff out there insist their cables are for charging use only.

Is there any USB cable available that will meet my requirement?

On the surface, this appears to be better engineered than the current cable lot:

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/usb-cables-hubs/xduoo-xc-07-adapter-cable-angled-female-usb-a-to-angled-male-usb-c-85cm-p-13090.html

24 minutes ago, Iain said:

Why would you think so?  I have a couple of the cables that Mansr recommended in the 6 inch version.  Works fine connecting my phone to the Topping (which I also have).  If you like the right angle: https://goo.gl/RG1x4m

Why are you using USB-C out of your PC? Some of the new Laptops have only USB C ports but I did not know if they are out yet.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

1 hour ago, jcbenten said:

Why would you think so?  I have a couple of the cables that Mansr recommended in the 6 inch version.  Works fine connecting my phone to the Topping (which I also have).  If you like the right angle: https://goo.gl/RG1x4m

Why are you using USB-C out of your PC? Some of the new Laptops have only USB C ports but I did not know if they are out yet.

The USB C Type connector is to be connected to the DAC outout of the DX4 DAC and the USB A  Type connector of the cable to the USB A connector of my laptop, because it has only USB A type connectors. My player on the laptop is the latest iteration of Foobar2000.

Headphones are Sennheiser HD660S, connected to Topping DAC.

58 minutes ago, Iain said:

The USB C Type connector is to be connected to the DAC outout of the DX4 DAC and the USB A  Type connector of the cable to the USB A connector of my laptop, because it has only USB A type connectors. My player on the laptop is the latest iteration of Foobar2000.

Headphones are Sennheiser HD660S, connected to Topping DAC.

As Mansr mentioned in his first response, there is no Type C connection on the Topping...it has two Micro USB connections: one for power and one for Digital In.  I just verified on my unit.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

2 hours ago, jcbenten said:

As Mansr mentioned in his first response, there is no Type C connection on the Topping...it has two Micro USB connections: one for power and one for Digital In.  I just verified on my unit.

Attached is NX4 user manual.

On page 7, it specifically shows USB Type C cable as part of kit.

NX4 DSD User's Manual_EN.pdf

One of the supplied USB cables is a very short length Type A to Type C cable which works fine. I need a longer version of that cable, is all.

24 minutes ago, Iain said:

Attached is NX4 user manual.

Type C is common for phones, laptops and some DAPs.  That cable is to connect your device with a Type C port to the Topping which has a micro USB port. See page 6 of the manual.

Seems as though you could look on your NX4, and if like mine, no Type C connection.

21 minutes ago, jcbenten said:

Type C is common for phones, laptops and some DAPs.  That cable is to connect your device with a Type C port to the Topping which has a micro USB port.

Seems as though you could look on your NX4, and if like mine, no Type C connection.

I have no frame of reference to be able to do that as this is all new to me.

TBH, some cable descriptions simply say Micro cable, whilst others say Micro B cable. What's the difference?

WRT the included cable with A Type USB connector, what is the type of connector on the other end, called?

23 minutes ago, Iain said:

Page 7 shows 2 USB cables as part of the kit:

- micro USB to micro USB

- micro USB to USB Type C

Some Android phones use micro USB and some (especially the newer ones) use USB type C, hence 2 cables. The connection to the DAC is micro USB.

The simplest way to connect the DAC to the computer is to use 1 USB Type A to micro USB cable like mansr suggests.

If you insist on using 2 cables (but why?), then you could attach a USB Type C (female) to a USB type A cable to the existing micro USB to USB Type C cable as you insist. 

mQa is dead!

20 minutes ago, Iain said:

I have no frame of reference to be able to do that as this is all new to me.

TBH, some cable descriptions simply say Micro cable, whilst others say Micro B cable. What's the difference?

WRT the included cable with A Type USB connector, what is the type of connector on the other end, called?

dGuxxMc.thumb.jpg.b98c8aea6e7cc5642cac6fa5dd76d43d.jpg

Type A goes to your computer. Type B goes to a printer and some DACs. Micro B and Type C go to a phone and other devices like portable DACs and cameras, etc. (although a few computers have type C ports).

Here's another image:

72225450-most-of-standart-usb-type-a-b-and-type-c-plugs-mini-micro-universal-computer-cable-connectors-vector.thumb.jpg.97b649703df19cc237bcd6079c2ed84e.jpg

mQa is dead!