IGNORED

The flaws of blind listening tests

6 minutes ago, mansr said:

"For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert." 

There you go again, quoting Newton's third law of internet forums!

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

5 hours ago, John Dyson said:

I agree with the idea that it is frustrating to actually communicate when someone is trying to express themselves  without the engineering/math/scientific expertise.  Sometimes a provincial language emerges that is used to communicate amongst the non technical individuals.

John,

I appreciate your opinion. However, IMO the issue in this instance is neither a question of difficulty of expression nor a lack of expertise. Rather, It has to do with repeating the same nonsense about good and bad recordings, including the notion that tweaking playback equipment can convert bad recordings into good ones, absolutely convinced that he is right. For example:

"Bad [recordings]" are just recordings put down with no concern for the 'sensitivities' of the playback equipment. "Good recordings" are the Politically Correct ones, they have been painstakingly doctored so that they offend no-one, no matter how 'bad' the status of their playback rig is.  And the ones that become very, very boring when one has a competent system - like gulping down large slabs of strained baby food."

Thank God for Bad Recordings! They have given me immense pleasure for the years, because they take no prisoners; all the excitement of intensely felt music making is bound up in them - may there be no "Auntie" music in heaven!.

I will avoid further frustration by simply ignoring his posts. :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron