IGNORED

5G - Are We Safe Or Insane?

Axial

18 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Charlie is an interesting and nice guy. He has come under some scrutiny for his opinions and practices from other neurosurgeons and neurologists.

😀

Ha ha! 

Ughhh certain types of photons do cause cancer and most types don’t. My clock radio? Really? That article was really trite.

consider this simplistic explanation: ionizing photons can lead to single strand DNA breaks or double strand breaks if strong enough. When single strands are broken that can lead to mutations and cancer. When double strands are broken the cells more often die. 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

1 hour ago, Axial said:

What do you think of world's scientists and their studies on 5G so far? 

_____

• https://www.radiationhealthrisks.com/5g-cell-towers-dangerous/

Our cell phones, forget it, let's talk towers first. 

Well first I will grant that we as a society need to take ionizing radiation very seriously. The debate (and where science has not settled stegading non ionizing radiation) ...

So ... reduction in our atmospheric CO2 protection — huge problem 

But when an article starts off 

5G cell towers are more dangerous than other cell towers for two main reasons. First, 5G is ultra high frequency and ultra high intensity. 3G and 4G use between a 1 to 4 gigahertz frequency. 5G uses between a 24 to 90 gigahertz frequency. To put this in perspective, 90 gigahertz is 90 billion electromagnetic waves hitting the cells in your body per second. This is a whole lot more radiation than we are exposed to naturally.

then it’s hard to that the rest seriously. I would be concerned about living next to a cell tower ... or power line substation for that matter...

Its not a simple issue, bears more study, but the relationship between cell phone usage and brain tumors has remained speculative for decades.

40 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Hi Jonathan,

not sure but maybe a slightly crossed wire here. I am not disagreeing. I have been in that neurosurgeons home and vice versa so yes IMO he is an "interesting and nice guy". His views do not always coincide with mine or would I endorse the articles you refer to.

Not saying you endorsed him!

40 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

I am not a nuclear physician but don't doubt what you say. 90% of Pancreatic cancer,  among the deadliest of all cancers, is due to random or acquired mutations (10% being inheritable) and I venture to say probably very few of these relate to ionizing radiation.

The relationship between ionizing radiation and cancer is all too well established. The mechanisms are outlined here (for example) http://teachnuclear.ca/all-things-nuclear/radiation/biological-effects-of-radiation/effects-of-ionizing-radiation-on-dna/

On 1/10/2019 at 6:43 PM, Axial said:

If the super high frequencies start affecting people living nearby those transmitter towers like toxic wastes do to humans and plastics do to fishes and CO2 does to our air and plants and temperature spikes, that too I want some facts from serious analysis and no Mickey mouse trap.

_____

Theres no question a microwave could cook your brain if you stick your head inside but does it give your cat cancer 🤷🏻‍♂️

Just like visible light waves (higher energy BTW as @wgscott shows) when organized into a laser could blast a rocket in the air, or cook an ant if focused with a lens, the fact that microwaves could be formed into anti-personnel weapons doesn’t mean that cell towers cause cancer ... but then there’s broccoli

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Jud said:

You know this because you've tried the Brava? That spending twice as long waiting for your food to come from the oven is "far more satisfying"?

You know really Jud, I expect you to understand the intricacies of purchasing decisions better that that ;)

First of all I’ve long toyed with building an outdoor pizza oven :: the outdoor cooking area is my domain however ;) 

What has held me back:

1)  a great neopolitan joint opened up 5 minutes away

2) we are on a low carb diet

3) I would be forced to cook pizza a very considerable amount of time for years

Ok now you want me to replace her toaster oven with another for $1000 because it’s “faster” and better at reheating frozen meals ... would that fly? ... plus I’d be invading her domain

I’d need a much better justification (I still get grief for getting the Joule even though it fits quietly in a cabinet

19 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

and there is about to be this:

https://welcome.vermicular.us/

Vermicular’s Musui-Kamado (which translates to waterless oven), a round lidded cooking vessel with an electric induction heating base. The Musui-Kamado, which will make its stateside debut next week, has earned its place among Japanese households not only for its streamlined aesthetic, but also for its ability to challenge what a single pot can do. It promises to eclipse the Dutch oven as a kitchen’s most valuable workhorse, adding the more technical tasks of sous-viding (no vacuuming required), proofing bread and fermenting to the usual roster of slow cooking, roasting, sautéing and baking.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/25/t-magazine/kassl-fishermans-coat-vermicular-oven-editors-picks.html

Hmmm ... compared against a $30 7 quart manual crock pot along with a <$40 Inkbird temp controller https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HXM5UAC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_pVZuCbY1C1MH3

I guess the bling factor is worth $600 😂

2 hours ago, bluesman said:

Now we have intensity modulated RT, which focuses the therapeutic dose and protects surrounding /intervening tissue even better. 

Which has been in clinical use for 25 years ;) “stereotactic” RT twice that time 

34 minutes ago, mansr said:

Frozen pizza is the mp3 of food.

Since I have a neopolitan place down the street and typical (“yak”) American within easy delivery, I haven’t followed any technical advances in frozen pizza for at least several decades, hence my hesitance to plunk down $1k ... the common IR/convection toasters are useful though

28 minutes ago, bluesman said:

I'm not sure what your point you're making here.  IMRT was first delivered in 1994 with the NOMOS Peacock system, but the computing power required was not generally available at the time and it was difficult to deliver because of the unmet needs for intensive physics support, precise anatomical target definition, and rigorous quality assurance. 

Point is simple that use of precise, 3D, treatment of cancers has been in clinical use for many many decades, Gamma Knife, as you also note, as well as proton beam, so that in fact none of this is new, rather, as you also note, the advances in computer processing speed has brought these technologies into routine clinical use. 

IIRC, the inventor of the Gamma Knife (multiple cobalt sources) as you note: 1967, first stereotactic targeted x-ray in 1949! and the first known proton beam therapy 1954! So not new ...

again my point is simply that use of various types of both ionizing and non-ionizing radiation, directed at 3D targets has been very well studied and used to treat cancer for many many decades. These are well known, well studied, well developed technologies that continue to be studied and further developed.

20 minutes ago, Jud said:

Yes.  But the use of infrared to heat a tumor without affecting the intervening tissue was not one of these.

Uh ok? Is there something unique about that wavelength range of photons?

Also note that heating a tumor causes surrounding tissues to be heated by heat conduction — and on the topic of heating, my earliest recollection was research in the 1990s about MRI based cooking techniques. (RF) ;) 

eg: https://med.stanford.edu/content/dam/sm/scitprogram/documents/seminar_pdfs/2018/SCIT_seminar_011718_deBever.pdf

let me also note that the clocks needed to accurately time all this make great dual use in a DAC 😂

1 hour ago, bluesman said:

I suspect you could caramelize almost anything with a gamma knife, but the beam's a bit small for an entire pizza.

Actually better for rapid aging of whiskey ... wouldn’t want to waste a good photon on an onion ;) 

17 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

But it is illegal to snoop on US citizens w/o a warrant (usually).

THE NSA has secret laws and secret courts to interpret those laws...  AND the claim is that recording, storing, and running AI systems on all communications (I do mean ALL) is legal as no human has listened in to the exact contents.

1) Echelon had been going on for decades - NSA doesn’t spy in Americans but GCHQ does ;)

2) NSA has not traditionally engaged in domestic law enforcement activities

3) The desire to use SIGINT for domestic law enforcement activities led to FISA

4) You need a warrant to get SIGINT “unmasked” for domestic use — typically it’s the FBI not the NSA which gets a FISA warrant

5) The information gathering capabilities are remarkable and use remarkable technologies

• 4 weeks later...