IGNORED

I use mostly Apple products

On 4/3/2019 at 11:20 PM, new_media said:

I have a couple of 3 TB USB-3 drive I use to backup my library. No need to use an SSD just for backup purposes, at least until the price comes down.

What brand of external hdd do you use? I’m assuming it can be hooked up to the DS218+ and Macbook if need be. 

19 hours ago, TJtennispro said:

What brand of external hdd do you use? I’m assuming it can be hooked up to the DS218+ and Macbook if need be. 

I use Lacie drives. They have always been reliable for me.

I backup over ethernet by mounting the NAS and the external drive on my Mac desktop, mostly because I want the backup to be in the APFS file system, but you could connect the drive directly to the NAS as well.

I do backup my Roon database directly from the DS218+ USB port. In fact, I just keep a flash drive connected all the time for periodic automatic backups.

On 4/25/2019 at 9:36 AM, new_media said:

I use Lacie drives. They have always been reliable for me.

I backup over ethernet by mounting the NAS and the external drive on my Mac desktop, mostly because I want the backup to be in the APFS file system, but you could connect the drive directly to the NAS as well.

I do backup my Roon database directly from the DS218+ USB port. In fact, I just keep a flash drive connected all the time for periodic automatic backups.

Perfect thank you! I called Synolgy last week to ask them this question and I described doing the same thing as you but didn’t include Room. They told me APFS wasn’t an actual Apple File system so I knew they were idiots. 

On 1/9/2019 at 8:12 PM, Ralf11 said:

Hate Apple Day post:  Who had the wonderful "Design Idea" to put the freakin' SD Card slot on the rear???

In my opinion, both the unibody MBP and the unibody iMac where much better, more practical designs. But slim is prettier right?

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)