IGNORED

I use mostly Apple products

It should work fine.

If the NAS OS doesn't support Time Machine backups, you can rig it to back up to a Sparse Image (which will expand as you need it).  But it might be better to do Time Machine backups to a local external drive, and use a different strategy for the NAS that takes full advantage of its RAID.  rsync might be one option.

Lots of info here:  https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/forum/7-disk-storage-music-library-storage/

12 hours ago, kirkmc said:

I don't recommend using a NAS for Time Machine backups. Unlike when you back up to a connected hard drive, network TM backups are stored in sparse images, which are very fragile. People who back up to a network device often find that their backups get corrupted and TM has to delete them and start over. If you do want to use the NAS for TM, you should also use a connected hard drive as an alternate. 

I bought your book and basically try to follow your advice. I’m a huge Deahead but I’m too young to have gotten to see them play in person. I have been to 72 Widespread shows which isn’t the same but not a lot I can do. 

I own own a rather extensive music collection with all the GD commercial releases plus all traders vault unofficial releases. 

Same with Widespread but that music collection at least official release is not near as massive. 

My music collection got wrecked by Apple Music years back and I’ve finally everything re-ripped etc. 

Ive got two MacBooks and I’ve been doing the external hard drive thing but I’ve got 6 different ones and it’s getting difficult. 

I honestly want Time Machine backed up and my Music back up and that’s about it. I bought 2 4 TB WD RED hard drives but so far the NAS hasn’t made my life easier. 

Kirk you still managing your library on two computer and using the 2Tb wd cloud nas? 

22 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

You have a very powerful device with the DSM software.  Yes, you bought the correct device unless your iTunes library is larger than the maximum size of your NAS, ha.

My music collection will fit once I get everything transferred over but I haven’t discovered all the benefits since I’m not familiar with LINUX and I’m slightly intimidated. 

Currently anything I rip I rip through my MacBook and back it up to a external drive before transferring to the DS. 

I’ve wanted to test streaming music to my Denon 7200wa but not sure if I should use DLNA or Airplay. 

4 hours ago, TJtennispro said:

My music collection will fit once I get everything transferred over but I haven’t discovered all the benefits since I’m not familiar with LINUX and I’m slightly intimidated. 

Currently anything I rip I rip through my MacBook and back it up to a external drive before transferring to the DS. 

I’ve wanted to test streaming music to my Denon 7200wa but not sure if I should use DLNA or Airplay. 

Not sure I follow, what does linux have to do with it?

No electron left behind.

56 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Not sure I follow, what does linux have to do with it?

Just the fact that I’m having to duplicate steps instead of having it back up straight to time machine or backup straight to my music library on the NAS. Anything with life has a learning curve but I’m not even sure where to start. I don’t know of a guide to follow and Synology doesn’t really point you in the correct direction. 

20 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Hmm, Synology DSM is easy to use, maybe you're trying things the hard way.

they have a forum here:  https://forum.synology.com/enu/

I have a Synology NAS as well, what exactly are you trying to do?

Honestly I just want my music on the NAS and be able to stream it throughout the house.  I'm a tennis pro and we like to listen to music while training so access to my NAS would be ideal (outside) the house. 

Itunes match messed up again today so I'm cutting that cord. Which software should I use? 

On 1/10/2019 at 9:08 PM, AudioDoctor said:

How do you have this whole house streaming system set up? What hardware/software are you using?

So ITunes Match went haywire on my perfect library again. Done with that BS. I loaded a bunch of music on my NAS. The music is airplayed to either of my Denon 7200wa. I’ve got one in my man cave and one in the living room. I’ve got a 7.2.4 setup in my man cave all B&W speakers. 

My living room I’ve just got B&W 683 s2 in stereo. The music streaming from the NAS over my network sounds incredible! 

Only issue is the DS Audio app is kinda clunky for playback it was hard to stop songs or even change songs through the app. Any advice for that? 

On 1/9/2019 at 8:27 PM, AudioDoctor said:

Hmm, Synology DSM is easy to use, maybe you're trying things the hard way.

they have a forum here:  https://forum.synology.com/enu/

I have a Synology NAS as well, what exactly are you trying to do?

Thank you for this link! I only had access to the other forum that they moved too. People seemed to just argue about not liking the new forum and I was scared by the lack of posts. Thought nobody owned a Synology since not many posts on new forum. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been considering buying a Synology DS218+ as well. I would like to move my iTunes library to it and run Roon Core from it. Right now I'm running both from an external Raid 1 array.

I just want to make sure that's a feasible plan before I take the plunge.

Also, how difficult is it to backup the DS218+ to an external drive? I try to make sure I do frequent backups to my music library.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I successfully migrated my iTunes library and the Roon Core and Database to the Synology DS218+.

I upgraded the Synology's RAM to 6 GB with a Crucial 4 GB SODIMM, installed two 6 TB Seagate IronWolf 7200 RPM drives, and connected a SanDisk Extreme SSD via USB for the Roon Database.

Roon is actually pretty snappy with this configuration. I think it's actually faster than when I was running the Roon Core on my iMac, and I certainly like the fact that I can stream my library to different zones without the iMac even being on.

• 1 month later...
On 2/8/2019 at 2:30 PM, new_media said:

Well, I successfully migrated my iTunes library and the Roon Core and Database to the Synology DS218+.

I upgraded the Synology's RAM to 6 GB with a Crucial 4 GB SODIMM, installed two 6 TB Seagate IronWolf 7200 RPM drives, and connected a SanDisk Extreme SSD via USB for the Roon Database.

Roon is actually pretty snappy with this configuration. I think it's actually faster than when I was running the Roon Core on my iMac, and I certainly like the fact that I can stream my library to different zones without the iMac even being on.

Hey my migration has been successful also but I don’t use Roon. I’ve been thinking of buying an external drive to make an extra copy of my 218+ music library but the SanDisk extreme is $175 for 1tb. I need 4 tb for growth I believe. 

5 hours ago, TJtennispro said:

Hey my migration has been successful also but I don’t use Roon. I’ve been thinking of buying an external drive to make an extra copy of my 218+ music library but the SanDisk extreme is $175 for 1tb. I need 4 tb for growth I believe. 

I have a couple of 3 TB USB-3 drive I use to backup my library. No need to use an SSD just for backup purposes, at least until the price comes down.