IGNORED

Suggestions for a low-cost DAC?

• 2 months later...

Re. the Pro-Ject Pre Box S2A :  Out of a small number of Amazon Verified Purchaser Reviews, several cite build quality issues.  Especially those involving either power port's/USB port's "breaking"/"falling-off".  I'm always wary about purchase reviews especially on Amazon.  But there appears to be far too many of a limited sample, "verified" purchasers with the same issue.  So, at the very least before purchasing, I would want to delve into this issue more to confirm that either the reviews on Amazon are abnormal, or Project has fixed the problem.  

-Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the review link.

However, Sterophile's review left me wondering.  Wondering how the contents of the review turned the Project into a class "A" rating?  Wondering if the Project actually bettered the AQ DragonFly Red, or whether overall they were equal with perhaps the AQ bettering the Project? 

The review revolved around using the Project with headphones.  While speakers seemed to be used, I found no listening comments specific to their use.   

I don't doubt that the Project at its price point is a superb DAC.  I just don't know how the review I read, translates into a Class A rating, unless of course the value-to-performance ratio skewed it in that direction?  

At any rate, the devil is always in the details and for me and for my 2-cents, Stereophile's review goes wanting.  

-Mike