IGNORED

GentooPlayer

1 hour ago, Wladimir said:

That dryness and sterility you're describing, I'm attributing exactly to those field plugs. Perhaps in conjunction with these cables it's even worse, but the culprit are IMO the plugs themselves, not the cable. That's why I'm recommending the straight cable-crimpled plugs without all that additional nonsense around it. Have you tried those?

In my experiments, what difference does a solid core AWG23-22 make is a more powerful, cleaner sound. Better definition / clarity all around. Obviously, not all are built the same, my favourite so far is Voka X-LAN 1500, but it's excessively rigid and pre-coiled to make any meaningful handling possible, so I'm looking for other alternatives with AWG22.
I might try to add those ferrites to hear what's it going to contribute.

I used the same Rj45 plugs with different LAN cables, in my case cat7 cables do not work in the final connection, as I wrote, the sound is strained and sterile. There is one exception from NAS to a CAT7 router, it works very well, but the final point from EtherRegen to RPI4 here is only good old copper

@antonellocaroliDiretta asio(win11) is not detecting gentooplayer rpi4 diretta target running on vmware fusion app for MacBook m2 air. One wired connection (Ethernet) directly to rpi4 gp diretta target & other to access Internet. Wifi is off. I'm using usb c to ethernet adapter for both connection. USB adapter is detected by asio driver but shows only in interface drop down list & not in target dropdown list. Any solution?

DDC: Singer SU6, Metrum Ambre

DAC: Metrum Pavane, Weiss 205

Amp/Preamp: AGD Audions, Herron VTSP 360 Ref

HP: Raal SR1a, BS650, BP580, HE6sev2, Yamaha HP1

Speakers: Kairos 

On 2/7/2024 at 8:14 PM, lithiumnk said:

@antonellocaroliDiretta asio(win11) is not detecting gentooplayer rpi4 diretta target running on vmware fusion app for MacBook m2 air. One wired connection (Ethernet) directly to rpi4 gp diretta target & other to access Internet. Wifi is off. I'm using usb c to ethernet adapter for both connection. USB adapter is detected by asio driver but shows only in interface drop down list & not in target dropdown list. Any solution?

Happy to report Diretta's new updates for tools & preview are working fine on MacBook m2 air running parallels win 11. Offline files/folder can be played with very good SQ. 

Is there a setting that will alter the output level of the streamer (RPi4 in a Mercury 2Pi)?

The output is to low via the AES output that the DAC switches itself off after 10 mins due to insufficient signal

The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club.  Achieve astonishing sound
Listening stuff:  Mercury Pi2, Devialet 440CI, REL sub, ML Electromotion, 2 x Dachshunds

31 minutes ago, lithiumnk said:

Happy to report Diretta's new updates for tools & preview are working fine on MacBook m2 air running parallels win 11. Offline files/folder can be played with very good SQ. 

You mean you use target and host in the same machine on VM ? Strange because goal of diretta target is to avoid impacting target by the host activity and minimize electric impact by separation of target... If thez are on the same machine I do not exactly understand the gain...

Qobuz Studio -> Audirvana Studio Linux on RPI5 Gentoo Player v8.60 (kernel 6.8.1-GentooPlayer-ULTRA-CLTO-TEST+ , Shanti Alim, tweak kernel) -> Holo Red GP Mpd/Upmpdcli (same kernel) -Silver I2S> Holo Spring 2 kte -Silver XLR> BC Accoustique 362 D -> Quellis 1 Optima.

33 minutes ago, PML said:

You mean you use target and host in the same machine on VM ? Strange because goal of diretta target is to avoid impacting target by the host activity and minimize electric impact by separation of target... If thez are on the same machine I do not exactly understand the gain...

Host is Diretta asio drivers running on MacBook Air m2 via parallels app (Windows 11). Target is rpi4 diretta gentooplayer connected directly via usb to ethernet adapter. Other adapter is used to connect to net. I'm using MacBook as I don't have access to my gentooplayer host (hdplex fanless server) & windows machine.

diretta macbook.jpeg

32 minutes ago, lithiumnk said:

Host is Diretta asio drivers running on MacBook Air m2 via parallels app (Windows 11). Target is rpi4 diretta gentooplayer connected directly via usb to ethernet adapter. Other adapter is used to connect to net. I'm using MacBook as I don't have access to my gentooplayer host (hdplex fanless server) & windows machine.

diretta macbook.jpeg

Ah ok, and you use ARM Windows ? With which player ?

Qobuz Studio -> Audirvana Studio Linux on RPI5 Gentoo Player v8.60 (kernel 6.8.1-GentooPlayer-ULTRA-CLTO-TEST+ , Shanti Alim, tweak kernel) -> Holo Red GP Mpd/Upmpdcli (same kernel) -Silver I2S> Holo Spring 2 kte -Silver XLR> BC Accoustique 362 D -> Quellis 1 Optima.

8 hours ago, PML said:

Ah ok, and you use ARM Windows ? With which player ?

No player ... direct playback from diretta. Files load in ram. Follow diretta''s Insta account for latest development. 

10 hours ago, Markus8 said:

What do I need to do to test this on a Holo Audio Red?

This ? What do you mean ? GP ? It's normal install RPI4 version on your Red.

Just now, PML said:

This ? What do you mean ? GP ? It's normal install RPI4 version on your Red.

And do not choose dac or output it is set by default to the right Red output

8 minutes ago, ditusade said:

I tend to concur with the observation on the new GP version (50/.73). I find it lacking in PRATT and general musicality. Got the magic back when reset my system on version 40 (/.53). Not sure what happened there with the new GP version.

There is an issue with 73 kernel but 50 is nice (Diretta, Mpd upgrade etc...) You can use  kernel 53 with version 50. In the storie of GP There were allready in the past issue with some kernel... 

1 hour ago, aqs_ said:

I made this combination: 6.6.2 RT + the latest kernel 6.1.73 Ultra Eup 100, it plays very well

Screenshot_20240211-151046.png

Screenshot_20240211-151029.png

Which on the Host and Which on the Target ?

You were discussing Ethernet cables, so I have some feedback to post. 

I tested a dozen of different cables over the last year. And it's amazing what a difference an Ethernet cable can make. 

I recommend the Sablon Audio for the coherency of the sound stage. 

The best that I could try is the Final Touch Metis. With it, one has the impression that the musicians are playing inside his listening room. 

Hello , 

coming back to the Ethernet cables subject :

I’ve to say I was a bit sceptic to consider  a real improvement by using better quality Ethernet cables and connectors .

i made my own cables based on Sommer cable SC Mercator Cat 6 super flex 

connectors are Deleycon Mk3409

(impossible to use standard connectors as logylink MP0048 with such strong cable).

Classic ferrit tores 

The factual results :
restarting all the network and first listening : more details, more articulation, harshness, hard mediums, lack of bass, short stage ! 
positive think : this is a proof of the cable interaction in the system !!

I made the choice to let a chance to the cable to make me happy, then I let the system running alone during around 3-4 hours.

wahou !!! Amazing upgrade, the system is coming back to my welknown softy sound but with really more details, more instruments presences, voices are more natural, the stage still fitting the recordings.

incredible how this network cable/connector matter is interacting in the system.

The only recommandation I can give to not already well equipped people : regarding the low investment (on case of DIY process of course), make it, you will be surprised by the results.

IMG_1270.jpeg

Streamer : RPI4 8Go + Gentooplayer ( 8.5 Kernel CTLO) + Diretta Target + Audiophonics DIGIPI+I2S - RPI4 8Go + Gentooplayer ( 8.5 Kernel CTLO) + Diretta Host + UpmPCli + MDP Bit Perfect - Power supply DIY Audiophonics S4-HP Micrel29752 - Server : Mac mini + LMS -DAC : MUSICIAN Pegasus R2R - Preamp : QUAD PRE 99 - Amps : QUAD 606 MKII (recaped and updated) x 2 - Speakers : KEF REFERENCE 203/1 - Speaker Cables : REAL CABLE 3D-TDC - DAC to Pream Cable : DIY NEOTECH NEMOI-3220 OCC PTFE Ø10mm - Preamp to Amps Cables : QED Performance Audio 40i - Ethernet Cables : SOMMER CABLE 580‑0201 CAT 6 S/UTP + RJ45 connectors LOGILINK MP048

Hi, question for the experts: I no longer see the CPUs on system info and the governor is unavailable. I attach the system info.
Thank you.

_____            _              _____  _                       
 / ____|          | |            |  __ \| |                      
| |  __  ___ _ __ | |_ ___   ___ | |__) | | __ _ _   _  ___ _ __
| | |_ |/ _ \ '_ \| __/ _ \ / _ \|  ___/| |/ _` | | | |/ _ \ '__|
| |__| |  __/ | | | || (_) | (_) | |    | | (_| | |_| |  __/ |   
 \_____|\___|_| |_|\__\___/ \___/|_|    |_|\__,_|\__, |\___|_|   
                                                  __/ |          
                                                 |___/           
 Profile:     Profile not Setting
 RamSystem:   Mode 4
 Free memory: 3655MB of total 7677MB

Kernel:   6.7.0-rt6-x86_64-GentooPlayer-RT-ULTRA
 ───────────────────────────────────────
 GentooPlayer   | 14:20 | Sun 18/02/24
 v8.50-195      | Generic Device (x86_64)
 eth0       | 192.168.178.20

Players/soft. Info:
Squeezelite-R2          [Disabled]
Squeezelite             [Disabled]
Networkaudiod           [Disabled]
LogitechMediaServer     [Disabled]
BubbleUpnp              [Disabled]
HQPlayer Embedded       [Enabled]
Mpd                     [Disabled]
UpMpdCli                [Disabled]
RoonBridge              [Disabled]
RoonServer              [Enabled]
myMPD                   [Disabled]
minimserver             [Disabled]
shairport-sync          [Disabled]
spotify-connect         [Disabled]
web-interface           [Enabled]
Samba                   [Disabled]
gmediarender            [Disabled]
camillagui              [Disabled]
aplayer                 [Disabled]
aprenderer              [Disabled]
gstreciver              [Disabled]
HotSpot                 [Disabled]

GP-Service Info:
gpchronystop   [Enabled]
gphavagedstop  [Enabled]
gpkernel1      [Enabled]
gprtclock      [Enabled]
gpsetrestart   [Enabled]

Started Service:
netmount
diretta
roonserver
sshd
local
hqplayerd
dhcpcd

Stopped Service:
chronyd
gpkernel1
gprtclock
gphavagedstop
gpchronystop
gpsetrestart

Crashed Service:

─────────────────────────────────────────────────────
Boot Options:
"quiet splash transparent_hugepage=never clocksource=tsc selinux=0"

*** Scanning for playback devices ***
Card 0, ID `Diretta71A0', name `TargetApp_AFB8'
  Device 0, ID `TargetApp_AFB8:snd_rpi_hifiberry_digi', name `snd_rpi_hifiberry_digi', 1 subdevices (0 available)
Error opening sound device for card 0, device 0: Device or resource busy.  Skipping.

AUDIO CARDS INFO:
CARD        TYPE            ADDRESS                NAME
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    card0    Internal Audio card    card0 --> --         TargetApp_AFB8:snd_rpi_hifiberry_digi  
card0    STATUS  --> access: RW_INTERLEAVED format: S24_3LE subformat: STD channels: 2 rate: 176400 (176400/1) period_size: 6400 buffer_size: 76800
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                     USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
/dev/snd/controlC0:  root       5136 F.... hqplayerd
/dev/snd/pcmC0D0p:   root       5136 F...m hqplayerd

K-1c:69:7a:af:a3:c0

Filesystem     Type      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
none           tmpfs     3.8G  844K  3.8G   1% /run
udev           devtmpfs   10M  4.0K   10M   1% /dev
tmpfs          tmpfs     3.8G  8.0K  3.8G   1% /dev/shm
/dev/sdb3      ext4      110G   12G   94G  11% /
efivarfs       efivarfs  192K   50K  138K  27% /sys/firmware/efi/efivars
/dev/sdc1      exfat      15G  1.5G   13G  11% /media/roon
/dev/sda1      ext4      1.9T  515G  1.4T  28% /media/Rock
none           tmpfs     7.4G   12M  7.4G   1% /bin
none           tmpfs     7.4G   17M  7.4G   1% /etc
none           tmpfs     7.4G  9.3M  7.4G   1% /sbin
none           tmpfs     7.4G   16M  7.4G   1% /lib
none           tmpfs     7.4G   14M  7.4G   1% /lib64
none           tmpfs     7.4G  1.1G  6.3G  15% /usr
none           tmpfs     7.4G   16M  7.4G   1% /var
none           tmpfs     7.4G  5.0M  7.4G   1% /tmp
none           tmpfs     7.4G  613M  6.8G   9% /opt
none           tmpfs     7.4G  1.1G  6.3G  15% /root
/dev/sdb2      vfat      545M  174M  372M  32% /boot

CPU(s):                             8
On-line CPU(s) list:                0-7
Thread(s) per core:                 2
Vendor ID:                          GenuineIntel
BIOS Vendor ID:                     Intel(R) Corporation
BIOS CPU family:                    205
CPU family:                         6
Model:                              142
Model name:                         Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10210U CPU @ 1.60GHz
BIOS Model name:                    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10210U CPU @ 1.60GHz To Be Filled By O.E.M. CPU @ 1.6GHz

Information not available in ram mode

Gentooplayer CPU Info
 Use cpu-governor to change CPU / performance options
 Architecture |     x86_64
 Temp         |     31'c : 87'f  | Cool runnings.
 Governor     |     Unknown

Current Freq    Min Freq   Max Freq
 CPU0         |      0 MHz      0 MHz    0 MHz

COMMAND         %CPU
RoonAppliance   26.0
hqplayerd        8.5
RAATServer       0.3
syncAlsaSingle   0.1
RoonServer       0.0
irq/129-eth0     0.0
RamSystem you can not use this function